How do I get rid of ticks ???

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #1  

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
Hi... Here in SW Virginia we are inundated with ticks. I have had Lyme's disease twice, and now possibly Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. ( Waiting for the blood work to come back. ) We have a lot of trails thru the woods, fields, and small creeks. We really enjoy being out and about on the property. However, we are constantly pulling off ticks, ( yes we have tried deet ). I would welcome any and all remedies. Even the whacky ones. Thanks.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #2  
get rid of what the ticks feed on( deer etc.), and then get what feeds on ticks( guinea fowl ).

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #3  
Or increase tick predators... birds. A friend lets his chickens "free range" liberally around his home and pasture and paths, and says he's seen a noticeable decrease in ticks and other bugs. Of course, atthe cost of a chicken or two periodically to other predators.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #4  
we have ticks also, what we do is stay out of the woods in the summer , also we were nylon pants so the ticks cant climb up, i put my sockes over the pants were a hat then when we come in the house we take all our close off and leave them outside.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #5  
i use a combo of granuals and mix up spray.

i grab spectracide granuals.. walmart usually has a larger bag on sale for regular bag price sometimes.

best spray I have ever found is bayer, blue bottle called complete insect killer. has imidacloprid and b-cyfluthren in it.

they have granuals too.. but i can't find them on the shelves.

takes about 2weeks between the spray ( garden pump up sprayer.. buy the concentrate ).. and the granuals. 2 applications each... after that. all the bugs die or leave. heck.. I think it killed my neighbors bugs.

I did this in march or april.. and it killed fleas, ticks, ants, beetles.. everyrhing.

couldn't even find flies on the brown dog plops after that.. :)

Complete Brand Insect Killer For Soil & Turf Sizes & Product Labels | Bayer Advanced

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #6  
I keep a tick key on hand, it pops them off easy.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #7  
there are areas around here that are pretty bad too
i ended up with one engorded on my side a month or so ago,
doc treated me with antibiotics just in case

i have a bigger problem with our housecat, fleas,
gets treated with frontline monthly, but, lately it seems
it can't keep up. makes me think someplace here in the house
has them and i don't don't know how to find the, never see any of them,
but, the cat has evidence of them.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #8  
i tried all that spot stuff.. I was spending BIG bucks to treat 13 house and barn cats and 7 dogs. tons of money and it was barely touching the fleas. 3 weeks after the bayer treatment and the granuals.. there aren't even ants inmy yard.. ( i was doing granuals alone.. and permethrin mix up .. but the permethrin seemed to only last 4-5 days... )... here it is months later and I still don't got bugs.. :)

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #9  
Perhaps this will be helpful? Vinegar to Kill & Prevent Ticks | eHow.com When we were young, my parents would apply vinegar to our skin and clothing. when we went blackberry picking. This method also kept the "Chiggers" off also. Just a thought. I agree with the other member regarding guinea fowl, especially in the immediate area around your home and yard. Best wishes.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #10  
why hasent anyone invented frontline for humans? we use it on our cats and dog and it workes great.