Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway

/ Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #1  

12pack

Tractor
Kubota BX-22 / Mitsubishi-372
Hey guys, I know i will get the answers on here.

I am installing a 12' gate across the driveway to keep the dog in. I want something strong to last and look good.

I see at Tractor Supply that some gates are 6 guage and weigh 70 pounds Wire Filled Gate, 12 ft. - 3611004 | Tractor Supply Company

and others that are 16 guage and weigh alot more http://www.tractorsupply.com/painted-2-in-tube-gate-12-ft--3603116

I just want something that will last.
I was also thinking of adding some wood slats vertically to the metal fence to dress it up so that wifey likes it as I live in a fairly residential area.

I just dont want to buy crap that will have to be replaced sooner rather than later.

/ Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #2  
I've had these 12' gates for about 8-10 years with no problems. I bought them a Tractor Supply. Not sure of the gage metal.
I should have bought the gates with the mesh. I had to wire fence material to them to keep dogs out.

Attachments

• 000_0570.JPG
    000_0570.JPG
    447.4 KB · Views: 668
   / Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #3  
I put up the 16guage 6 tube gates that TSC sells.color is red.well built....russ

/ Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #4  
Instead, consider getting 2 8' gates. The dogs will still be contained, the 8' hole shot will slow down fast drivers since you only need to keep one open, and there will be less sagging force on the posts. If you need to squeeze the tractor and hay mower through, you can open both of them.

These gates were a kit from Lowes for a few hundred bucks. You can put them together in an hour after the cement dries for the hinge post. Add an electric opener later on if you wish.

/ Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #5  
I apologize for not being able to post pictures. I bought 2 twelve foot gates and 1 fourteen foot gate around 15 years ago from TSC. They are all wire mesh at the bottom and are made of heavy guage. I'm not sure of the exact guage. All the gates are unpainted and are galvanized. After 15 years, there are only a few traces of rust on some of the welds-not much. BTW, the wire mesh is 6X6 inches. They have served me well. I open and close the one gate at our yard entrance several times a day. Best wishes.

/ Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #6  
I have 4 gates, three single 12-15' gates and one double 22' gate. I went heavier on 3 of them and plan for them to last a lifetime. I can provide pictures if you are interested. Two have electric openers and two are manual.

/ Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #7  
About a decade ago, I put up two 10 or 12 foot gates. Simple galvanized tube gates from the farm store. They eventually started to spot rust here and there but no big deal. We had a bulldozer take down some trees near the house and when he was driving up our road he touched one of the gates. He did not rip it off the post but lets say the gate has a new and interesting shape. One could say it is artsy fartsy looking. :laughing::laughing::laughing: The gate still works so it is staying. :D:D:D The bulldozer guy knocked more than enough off his bill to cover the damage. :thumbsup:

At some point I will have to replace the gate but for now it is staying. Next time I might go with red gates.

Later,
Dan

/ Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #8  
Yall please do not forget that it is easy to install a "wheel kit" to keep the gates up off the ground. It helps to keep the weight balanced. and also makes opening a gate easier.

/ Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #9  
Instead, consider getting 2 8' gates. The dogs will still be contained, the 8' hole shot will slow down fast drivers since you only need to keep one open, and there will be less sagging force on the posts. If you need to squeeze the tractor and hay mower through, you can open both of them.

Good advice there.
Two narrower gates do indeed sag less than one big gate plus you will eventually wish you had a wider gate. Gates are like barns in that everyone wishes they built a bigger barm. I never heard anyone say the should have put in a narrower gate.

As a side note, I put my posts in 12 years ago when I didn't know any better but no gates are up yet. This was before I found the advice of the TBN so went with 4" by 4" square steel posts 1/4" thick. To make sure they never went anywhare I hand dug (whew) 5' deep holes by I think 18" diameter. Whatever the size, each one took over a yard of concrete. Oh, I put rebar in as well and filled the posts with concrete. They are never going anywhere and I could hang the Queen Mary on those posts.

/ Need help selecting 12' gate for driveway #10  
The gates in post #2 have old phone poles 5' deep for side posts! The posts were on my property when I bought it and I found a good use for them.