first knife so far.

/ first knife so far. #1  

ncnurseryman

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 970
Here is a pic of my first homemade knife. It's not perfect but good to go for the field.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121117_191825.png
    ForumRunner_20121117_191825.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 531
   / first knife so far. #2  
   / first knife so far. #3  
Looks good I like it. It reminds me on one my dad made with a lot of meat in the blade, made short work of chopping up small game

James K0UA

/ first knife so far. #4  
Looks great to me! Where did you get your materials? What-all tools did you use to complete it?

I have a really excellent chef's knife but the handle wood got burnt away from the tang (which may or may not have been my fault :rolleyes:) and I keep meaning to rebuild it. KnifeKits.com KnifeKits.com : Designer Knife Kits - Knife Making Supplies - Knife Making Tools has all kinds of tempting stuff and you've just inspired me to make that one of my winter projects.

/ first knife so far.
Thanks, the blade is 1/8 inch thick. I got the steel, pins, lanyard tube and micarta from jantz knife supplies. The tools I used were a angle grinder to rough profile the blade, a small 1x30 belt grinder, drill, lots of sand paper, buffer and this small mini forge. I found plans on YouTube, watched other knife makers on YouTube and referenced the $50.00 knife shop by Wayne Goddard.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121117_230318.png
    ForumRunner_20121117_230318.png
    485.1 KB · Views: 446
   / first knife so far. #8  
A cave man would have given his right arm for such a fine knife.

/ first knife so far. #9  
Thanks, the blade is 1/8 inch thick. I got the steel, pins, lanyard tube and micarta from jantz knife supplies. The tools I used were a angle grinder to rough profile the blade, a small 1x30 belt grinder, drill, lots of sand paper, buffer and this small mini forge. I found plans on YouTube, watched other knife makers on YouTube and referenced the $50.00 knife shop by Wayne Goddard.

From scratch! Now I'm really impressed. Thanks for that info., I never heard of a mini-forge, pretty cool. Don't forget to post pics of your next one.

/ first knife so far. #10  
Your knife came out good!-

Made one once out of an old file in a coal forge. I always found the handle part frustrating- just used what I had around. Still using my file knife- in the kitchen. Needs a new handle- but always holds an edge.