Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #31  
We have 3 DG stores t 6 miles. One is in a strip mall with a Big Lots and a resale shop. That one is less than a mile from a Dollar Tree (everything is $1). We also have 2 Walmarts about 10-12 miles apart. And two Aldi grocery stores. Very high unemployment and underemployment here. All of these discount stores seem to be doing well.

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #32  
dirtyoldman said:
I've been to the dollar store in town before. They are always busy, but it's awful. Hard to find stuff and never really what you needed. Then the stuff is cheaply made.

I order most everything online now.

Have you ever shopped at Wamart?

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #33  
Here in Knoxville dollar stores and aldi grocery stores are popping up like spring corn there's a new one every couple of months ,It amazes me how so many complain about no work and no money ,But if you drive thru most areas of town almost every restaurant is packed !

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #34  
We have one Dollar General and one Family Dollar.

The nearest town has both a Dollar General and Family Dollar. I have noticed a Dollar General in a very small town in a very rural part of the county. I think this is part of the Dollar stores business model. The buildings are not expensive and the land they build on is relatively cheap so the stores has lower expenses. They are serving markets that do not have many, if any other, alternative. The only competition in our town with the dollar stores is the to grocery stores.

Later,
Dan

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #35  
<deleted text>

Yeah the jury is still out as to whether or not this was a good idea. How much money was it that Bristol Va borrowed to lure Cabelas? 25 million? They justify it by claiming it will bring in a bazzilion new jobs. Sure, mostly minimum wage dead end retail jobs. In the mean time manufacturing jobs, which I can only assume pay better, are leaving the area.

The Cabelas is a good idea I think.. it should draw ppl from VA/NC/SC/TN/WV to the area... The next closest Cabelas is in Charleston WV (tip top of the state) or in Harrisburg PA - none in the South.. From here it is about 180 miles and I would make a day trip to the Cabelas..

I think the BPS may draw some of the same crowd, but there is already one west of Knoxville TN (90 miles away), so who knows how that will work out.. the only other BPS in VA is in Richmond

I am not expecting the Gander Mtn in Roanoke to make it though.. the GM in richmond has already closed.

Brian

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #36  
There is also a Bass Pro in Hampton VA.

I didn't realize the Gander in Richmond closed -- how long ago was that?

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #37  
I was quite pleased to see the DG going up in our community since our local grocier had been raping his customers for years. They went up about 5 feet away from him. He was in the DG one night when I popped in and I watched as he looked at the prices and shook his head. All I could think was Karma......

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #38  
Do you guys have christmas tree shop stores in your areas?

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #39  
Do you guys have christmas tree shop stores in your areas?

Their website shows them to have one in Dallas, way out on the north side, but I've never seen one.

/ Dollar Store Going up in My Home Town. Pop 150 #40  
There is also a Bass Pro in Hampton VA.

I didn't realize the Gander in Richmond closed -- how long ago was that?

in July-ish i believe.. Green Top Sporting Goods took over the GM building

Brian