4th of July surprises.

/ 4th of July surprises. #1  

jlemon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 3830 HST, 723 loader, HD QA bucket, 1 remote w/top cylinder
We moved out to a new place in the country last fall, and are (still) settling and and I'm getting closer to buying a tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Went tractor shopping right before the 4th and came back home with a 1 HP self-powered pasture trimmer. The somewhat convoluted rationale for this was that the pasture is overgrown and conceals slow-growing rocks which can cause considerable damage to a new rotary cutter, so the best way to find the rocks is ride through the pasture and look down, where they are easy to spot.

I'm not quite sure I buy this logic, but I figure its probably a fair trade; I get a tractor, she gets a horse, and I get more reasons for getting new implements. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So the new addition to our pasture is a 7 year old registered QH gelding, standing at 15.2 hands, who I'm assured is very sweet and has a wonderful disposition. He was trailered over by the previous owner on the 4th of July, and we decide to introduce him directly to the rest of the herd, which consists of 3 minis, all about a year old. A comparison was made by my oldest that this was like having to share your bedroom with 3 infants. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyway, we put the new herd in a 2 acre pasture area right next to the house, as we want to keep an eye on them and I still haven't fenced off the back fields yet. They all appear to get along just fine, and provide some amusement by watching the big QH prancing along after the minis who are running at near full gallop. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is, things were fine until tonight. That's when the neighbor (who we've met only once, but appears to be a likeable fellow) decides to set off about 5 minutes worth of aerial fireworks from his front lawn, which happens to be almost directly adjacent to the pasture where we are keeping the horses. Can you say panic? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

These were large shells too, similar to what the city used for their 4th of July firework show, not little piddling ground fireworks or bottle rockets you pick up at your corner firework stand. Needless to say, we weren't pleased, the horses were not happy (to say the least), and our new acquisition was working up quite a lather going back and forth looking for an escape. Luckily enough, none of them decided to jump over (or go through) a fence, and we were able to calm them all down after the shells stopped going off.

Tomorrow, I'm going to stop by the neighbors house and at ask him to at least give us advance warning next time he decides to pull something like this. That way I can move all the horses to the back pasture; while they would still be able to hear/see the fireworks, at least they won't be going off almost directly overhead.

Took a while for us to calm down afterwards, I'm still trying to come up with a polite way to phrase what I want to say to the guy; maybe I'll think of something tomorrow when I'm not as upset.

/ 4th of July surprises. #2  
Welcome to the country. As long as it is their property and it is legal. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 4th of July surprises. #3  
Jlemon -- Boy do I hate firecrackers around all my dogs and livestock! There's a vacation home owned by a Connecticutt senator right down the road from us. His teenaged son does all sorts of mischief, and when caught his explanation is, "My daddy's a senator. I can do it if I want to!" /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I can't wait to see this kid's contribution to the gene pool!

The family always seems to come up for the 4th weekend every year. Every year they brought large fireworks, which are illegal in Vermont. Every year they listened to my polite requests to use them elsewhere because of the reactions of my animals...then fired them off anyway. And not just one or two. The explosions used to start at 9pm and often continue sporadically till 3 the following morning! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I finally called the police on them and listened to the conversation when the officer arrived; the senator was lying with a straight face even though there was a small trashcan's worth of residue scattered in the road! Now there's a comment on political integrity and sending a valuable lesson to your children!

They did it last year, in the middle of a drought, and started a fire which, by some miracle, the two families working together were able to extinguish. So now, whenever I know they are coming up for a weekend, I spread liquid manure in the lower field nearest their house. I've noticed they spend a lot of time visiting tourist attractions these days, coming home only to sleep. And the grass in that field is <font color="green"> REALLY GREEN! </font> Pete

/ 4th of July surprises. #4  
Pete, if you run low on liquid fertilizer add some mercapton. Bound to help out.

Egon

/ 4th of July surprises. #5  
" I can't wait to see this kid's contribution to the gene pool! "
There are no lifeguards at the gene pool !!! Sounds like he's from the gene puddle. Imagine that, the manure scared off the bs'er !!! I like the manure idea. I'll use that on my neighbor; I'll put a few box fans out to keep the stench moving in the right direction!!!

/ 4th of July surprises. #6  
Does this look anything like the Senator in question???
nav-default.jpg

/ 4th of July surprises. #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I spread liquid manure in the lower field nearest their house. )</font>

Ain't the country great? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif