Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Default Re: Help! Enzymatic Treatment Needed to Clear Septic Drain Field?

If you got the break repaired and THE DRAINFIELD PUMPED, you probably didn't get taken too badly. If your system works now, count your blessings. I had my system hooked up the the city sewer system, and it cost me $1500. They dug a ditch with a backhoe about 30' long and about 15' deep at one point, laid a line, attached it and covered it up. Took best part of a day.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    JCB 212 New Holland 1720-Mitsubishi dozer-Ford F450 Service truck-Chev dump truck

I cant argue on what some one else charges. Uncovering your septic and pumping it, $200 is somewhere in the ball park. I am a licensed septic pumper. I advise my customers constantally that their septic system might be one of their most valuable assets. Unfortunally most people think that out of sight, out of mind. And that is the last thing most people think about. But when the toilet quits flushing their would comes to a end. A broken furnace or AC we sort of can cope with it till we can get if fixed but when the toilet quits flushing, well you dont have any options. I notice that most septic tanks I open now days have no bacteria action. And I feel that putting anything in your tank is a waste of money. Many will agree with me and those selling it disagree. Most of the things we use in our home today kill the bacteria. Mouth wash, counter top cleaners, toilet bowel cleaners, drain cleaners, many medications, bleach, etc. I tell my customers instead of pouring $10 or $15 worth of chemicals every month down the toilet, just put that much in a cookie jar and have it pumped as needed. Which can range from once a year to every three years. Depending on how many people live in your house, water usage, septic size and leach field. Another thing most people dont know that years ago most of our clothing was made out of cotton. When washed these fine threads went into out septic tank and would deteroiate. Now days we have most clothes made out of nylon, rayon and other synthetic fabrics and bactiera can't and wont eat these and alot of them will float to the top and out into the leach field. As far putting something in your leach tile and telling you it will clean it out. Ask them if they will give you your money back if it doesnt work. You will find out real quick how confident they think it will work. I use to do alot of repairs (72 now, so I just pump) and it was not uncommon to have to dig up the first 10' of pipe comming out of the tank due of sloppy installiation, sometimes they dig too deep right where it comes out of the tank and after 5 or 10 years is will bow or break off. I have seen some people have sucess in calling some who does "water jetting", in unplugging deain fields. Usually chemicals is just a waste to time . Since they had your pipe dug up, they should or could have run a camera down the pipe 50' or 100' and inspected it and give you a accurate diagonisos. I am helping a customer right now who has a aeriator and they did not have it serviced properly and is has plugged the line going to the leach field up. Probably if it was simply dug up the first 50 or 100 ft and cleaned out, regraveled it might be ok but the health dept is involved now and they want her to install a $20k system. Right now all she can afford is to let me pump it every two weeks, which the health dept agreed to. Keep us posted to what happens.

Gold Member

"They used a shovel to pry open the lid and, as expected, they found the 1000 gallon tank completely full."

If the tank was full of liquid, then the problem may well have been dirt/mud getting into and clogging the drainfield. If the tank was full of solids/muck, then the drainfield has probably been filled with the same solids/muck and will soon fail again (and need to be replaced with a new drainfield).

Every septic tank should be pumped every 2-5 years, depending on size and usage. Once the septic tank is full of solids/muck the drainfield gets ruined quickly. (only liquids should flow out into the field after the solids have settled out.)

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

We have our septic system pumped every two years.... two small tanks and one 1200 dry well. It usually runs about $300. We do this because the system is small by today's standards and also 40 years old. It amounts to about $12.00 per month. Once it is pumped and washed out, we just use it as normal. The septic guy tells us to eat a big Mexican dinner with plenty O beans and let nature take its course! No additives needed... ever.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 960, 7700, TW20, 1720; IHC H, 300; Ollie S77

> They went on to explain that mud had entered the drain field at the separation point, clogging the drain field and causing it to become completely full.

If they really meant 'mud' then no chemical will help, your drainfield is plugged up.

If they/you mean 'the solids from the septic system' then the chemicals are doubtful they will help any. Could maybe.

The whole thing smells bad, tho.

Your tank should always be about full - the top will have a little scum/grease on it, the bottom will have a little solids, and the middle will be dirty water, kust below the grease-scum layer the water is pretty good and clear. You are in a little trouble if the top grease ball gets too big; and you are for sure in a lot of trouble if the bottom solids build up high enough for solids to flow out into the leach line - then these solids flow out and seal up the porus ground in your leach field and it's a goner. Many of those solids are not disolvable, and no amount of chemical will do anything about them.

That Tee pipe keeps the grease on top and out of the leach line, grease in the line will seal up the porus ground around your leach lines, as well as the holes in the pipes. _Perhaps_ the chemicals they added broke up this grease, if any grease got into your leach line....

But!

You said a pipe was broken, you said the wet spot showed up at the break, _not_ out in the leach field, and there was no mention that your septic tank was overloaded with solids.

So I'm thinking you had a rather easy to fix broken pipe, and nothing else was actually wrong, everything would work fine without the chemicals, the whole problem was just that spot where the pipe broke?

Sounds like they did a nice $500 repair and made some money off a person with little choice in the matter, but if your system is well repaired, you got something out of it and just have to move on.

--->Paul

Tractor
    Kubota B2100/L301 loader

The most common mistake that septic system owners make is doing too many loads of laundry back to back. Too much through put of waste water through the septic tank into the drain field in a short amount of time tends to wash solids into the drain field - which clogs it over time. It is sometimes difficult to not wash 2 or 3 or 4 loads of laundry back to back (in one day). Spacing out laundry washing to a load a day or AT LEAST doing one load in the morning and one in the evening is the easiset way to spread out how much waste water you are pushing through the septic system.

Gold Member

That price sound high to me. You can get a whole new system installed in rural east tennessee for 2500 bucks.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 455

Hey tnmike, what type of system ? Any links ?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

I think they got the gold mine and you got the shaft...oxidizer????

Never make decisions when under pressure. You could have had your tank pumped and would probably have another week to investigate. Bacteria are present naturally in wastewater and in a septic system are primarily anerobic meaning absense of oxygen. If they really did add an oxidizer it may have done more harm than good by killing off your anerobic bacteria but I am merely speculating.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

cheap sytem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast