Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tractors16-600hp Farm & Earthmoving Equip, Trucks etc.

Default Re: Anyone else clean and polish their work boots?

Yep, regularly clean with Dubin conditioner to keep 'em supple& Snowseal to keep the moisture at bay.............Work Boots normally last 18-30mths in tough full time farming use averaging 12hr/7days anything from digging post holes, chainsawing to welding... to truck/tractor driving ................

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i agree.. good work boots cost money. I wear some ariats and they were about 150$ as I recall.

I'm in boots about 18 hours a day. no room for uncomfortable ones with bad support.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

I clean up my duty boots, before going out on the fire engine. Swear by Obenauf's.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford 555 TLB, Xtra-Vator, pallet forks; Caterpillar 12 Motor Grader; FABTEK aerial platform

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    i agree.. good work boots cost money. I wear some ariats and they were about 150$ as I recall.

I'm in boots about 18 hours a day. no room for uncomfortable ones with bad support.
    Got that right SG. My Wolverines are comfy but dang, they're heavy. I used to wear Work & Sport boots from Farm & Fleet. They were reasonably priced, comfortable, and were made in the USA....then they moved production overseas and they were never as good so I switched to Wolverine that cost twice as much but I'm not going to wear something that isn't comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    Anyone else clean and wax their work boots, even if only once a year? My wife thinks no one else bothers.
    Once a year I clean, saddle soap and wax them and I can't recall when I did not do it. It really helps and they seem to last way longer than one would expect. And boots aren't cheap these days---maybe $150?
    Back in the day I used to clean and Dublin up my Lineman's boots but I don't do anything with my everyday work boots anymore...I expect they will last longer than I will.

Speaking of the cost of boots...back when I was an Apprentice Lineman I bought a pair of Pierre Paris boots to wear while climbing poles; you need a good boot when you're standing up a pole for hours on a pair of climbers, eh. That was 1974 and I paid $131.00 for them...a princely sum when I was grossing $609 a month.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I have a pair of Browning boots that are probably 15 years old. I put Kiwi polish and mink oil on them twice a year. I mostly wear New Balance now that I am retired.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota l3130

Sure. Summer treatment is to grease them with Huberd's Shoe Grease and let them dry. Then I polish them with Kiwi shoe polish on a warm boot. I usually use a whole can of polish to do the boots. It gives them a hard finish that resists being torn up by blackberries and other vines, and leaves them with a durable waterproof treatment. Plus, they look better.

All you guys that have Redwings... Do your stores not offer free polish and laces? All the stores around here do, I usually hit them up every other sunday for a clean up and waterproof, laces if needed of course.
    Mark

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

[QUOTE=972500;3082681]All you guys that have Redwings... Do your stores not offer free polish and laces? All the stores around here do, I usually hit them up every other sunday for a clean up and waterproof, laces if needed of course.
    Mark[/QUOTE

No free polish and/or laces in central Ohio that I am aware of. Had to pay a couple dollars for my last pair of laces that seemed to wear prematurely.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    John Deere 790, 420, 314, "L/60" Custom & 70 I

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    Anyone else clean and wax their work boots, even if only once a year? My wife thinks no one else bothers.
    Once a year I clean, saddle soap and wax them and I can't recall when I did not do it. It really helps and they seem to last way longer than one would expect. And boots aren't cheap these days---maybe $150?
    why would you want to do that?

I wash or brush mine off as needed, yes with water & oil them with Neatsfoot once or twice/year (thanks for the reminder!). My 6" "Carolina boot" work shoes, size 14EE, are the only ones I can find that fit me anymore. ~~ grnspot

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast