Anyone else clean and polish their work boots?

/ Anyone else clean and polish their work boots? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Anyone else clean and wax their work boots, even if only once a year? My wife thinks no one else bothers.
Once a year I clean, saddle soap and wax them and I can't recall when I did not do it. It really helps and they seem to last way longer than one would expect. And boots aren't cheap these days---maybe $150?

002.JPG

Take these Red Wing boots in the pictures. They were really grungy and it took a half hour to make them presentable but now they look great. I should have taken a "before" photo. I'll add they are only a year old and they get used in ag and construction stuff. Am I the only person that bothers with this? Is my wife right again?

/ Anyone else clean and polish their work boots? #2  
Twice a year I clean and apply mink oil to my boots. Prevents the leather from drying out and cracking.

/ Anyone else clean and polish their work boots? #3  
good idea, along with about 5000 other things that one should do on some schedule, even if only once a year...each one takes only 10 to 30 minutes....I do a bunch of them, but polishing boots doesn't seem to be one that I have gotten to...unless they get mud caked or I step in something green and squishy. And then I just clean them. I'm in a part of Texas where it never seems to rain...so this leaves the other alternative...which is much reduced since the drought last year forced me to sell 2/3rds of my herd.:(

/ Anyone else clean and polish their work boots? #4  
You bet.
Wife has me do hers too.
2 pairs on the left I wear day to day.
I usually keep them in the box so my dogs don't chew them.
I will still clean up this 4 year old pair even though stiching is missing on toes.
Thet are worn in the shop when kneeling and welding.

new tractor 488.JPG

/ Anyone else clean and polish their work boots? #7  
You obviously weren't in the military!

/ Anyone else clean and polish their work boots? #8  
Not only do I not wax my work boots, I never heard of anyone doing so until I saw this.....and I have no plans to start waxing them now. ;)
I buy a new pair every 12-14 months. I wear them 12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week. I hate the way new work boots look.

/ Anyone else clean and polish their work boots? #9  
i clean and polish all my boots.

the black work boots even get a coat of paint sometimes! :)

/ Anyone else clean and polish their work boots? #10  
I do a quick swipe with the brush regularly and maybe 4 times a year a good cleaning with some of the Wolverine restore mink oil stuff. I have a pair of cowboy boots doe skin that are 1989 been re-soled 3 times and have holes worn in now so ready for #4 re-sole. Have not been wearing them much since back operation pulled out 3 disks.
My work boots last 5+ years wearing them 50+ hrs a week. I wear 150+buck Wolverine Brand as I have odd feet size and they fit well with EE wide. Price I can live with but why not spend a few min a week keeping em clean and making them last years longer. The wax/mink oil keeps them waterproof soft and keeps them from dry cracking or tearing out. Also keeps them soft on the feet ;)

yep I was military too, and have one pair of jungle boots left that I wear when running chainsaw without damage so far and still soft on the feet after getting out in 1992 :)

Mark