How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color?

/ How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color? #1  

JOE G

Gold Member
Tractor
Husqvarna / John Deere
I sided my Shop in Rough Cut Hemlock and there maybe some pine mixed in. I also have a few other out buildings sided like this, The Shop is fresh others are about a year old and they are turning gray. Around here I see Gray barns and Brownish colored barns that have alike a yellow color near the eaves, any Idea how I may be able to get the brownish color?

this link shows a barn color kind of like what I want. Thanks

Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2154/2187697870_5034c04ea7.jpg

/ How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color? #2  
Think time will give you that look. All mine have gone grey to eventually brown.

/ How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color?
I like the brown look, not a big fan of the gray look, Should I treat the wood with anything? Most barns are prob over a 100 Years old around here and I doubt they are treated often with anything. I just want it to last a long time.

/ How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color? #4  
Unless you want to stain it I don't think you get to pick. Different species of wood age to different colors. I'm partial to the gray myself, but any aged wood is pleasing and that barn is a beauty. Lifeline brand makes several different stains for the aged log look but they're scary expensive. How many square feet do you need to cover?

/ How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color? #5  
Be careful with staining. Actually don't stain it since the final color can come out different from what you think after it ages, especially in a damp/cold climate. I have seen some brown and gray stains develop to an orange shadow. Let nature do it and get it right..

/ How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color? #6  
The brown part is where it doesn't get as much rain water on it. It will gradually age on it's own. If there is part that never gets rain it basically won't change.

/ How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color? #7  
A while back I was re-decking the floor of a friends 16 ft. trailer, he had brought me rough saw Oak 2" thick boards to use, after getting all the boards down I used the deck platform to set my 14" metal cutting saw on, to do some iron cutting ( welding a front rail and built rear ramps )
The metal shavings were scattered across the trailer deck boards, I was going to simply blow them off when I got through, Lettin to set Over the nightfall and morning dew had apparently got the metal fragments moist and was absorbed into the wood turning the wood a gray/black/brown color just as you have shown with the examples on the barns, I'm not sure if this was a chemical reaction to the oils in the wood but I thought to myself what a quick way to add an aged look to lumber,

/ How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color? #8  
Rusted iron or steel soaked in vinegar will produce a black liquid that is good for staining wood if you want a dark color.

/ How can I get the Rough cut lumber to age a certain color? #10  
The lighter color under eaves is also due to less sunlight, those areas are partially shaded. I had board and batten northern white cedar on a house years ago. It took on that two-tone look and I eventually stained it.

The natural look is nice, you just have to realize that different shades in different areas is natural.