Coyotes and Deer

/ Coyotes and Deer #181  
I don't know about Africa but you can still buy products with DDT in Mexico.

I looked on the USDA web page for grins to see if they were still killing coyotes, and they report they killed 512,620 coyotes between 2006 and 2011 not including the den kills.

I was surprised to read where they still use the M-44 cyanide gun and 1080 once in a while.

----J

/ Coyotes and Deer #182  
DDT could wipe out malaria for all time in less then a years time. Instead someone makes up an unsubstantiated story about DDT may be causing thin eagle eggs and the pesticide is banned. As a result, millions of people die needlessly every year from malaria and they call themselves compassionate. Someone explain what good the mosquito is?

How does a ban on a chemical in the us (with no malaria by the way) effect africa or other malaria stricken parts of the world? DDT is still used in many parts of the world.... The US ban has no bearing on malaria, those countries make their own rules.

/ Coyotes and Deer #183  
How does a ban on a chemical in the us (with no malaria by the way) effect africa or other malaria stricken parts of the world? DDT is still used in many parts of the world.... The US ban has no bearing on malaria, those countries make their own rules.
Im sure you can find something on the web that supports this, so it's gotta be true, or maybe i can just make something up and post it somewhere then reference the posting as gospel.

/ Coyotes and Deer
I think DDT is still available, but just speculating. And yes, any given country could produce it....if they had the capability. A capable nation could produce it as well, but might suffer UN or EU difficulties. And unless are large, capable nation produces it in large enough quantities to sell it cheap, then the poor nations that need it cannot get it. This IS pure guess-work on my part.....I'm sure a quick trip to Wikipedia could clear this all up.........

I think it is safe to say that when DDT production was initially halted here and elsewhere there was certainly a resurgence in mosquito populations and people died.......but this too might be a myth perpetrated by Exxon executives and nuclear power plant contractors.

{deleted a bunch of stuff that had no place even in this thread}

Last edited:
   / Coyotes and Deer
Someone claimed 20 million deaths. That claim has been refuted by some. But let's say that the claim was off by, say, a factor of 20. Well, shucks, that leaves a paltry million. And what are a million or so human lives worth in the big scale of things.

And the primary objections of the environmentalists to being blamed for malaria deaths is that they are not responsible because 1) resistance to DDT was developing and 2) there were alternatives and 3) they did not intend for people to die. Well, none of that brings those people back. Period.

Now I would like to believe that no one ever sat down and weighed this out. I would like to believe that this was an unintended consequence. But in reality it makes no difference and not exploring the risks of any action is just as bad as intending for those risks to happen.

/ Coyotes and Deer #187  
I don't know if it was on History Channel or where but I saw a show that talked about the use of DDT to eliminate malaria. The effort mainly started around the Panama Canal construction I believe and maybe that is what the show was about. IIRC correctly you don't have to kill every mosquito for all time but you do have to kill the current 'crop' pretty much at the same time. This breaks the life-cycle of the parasite that causes malaria.

There was a gentleman in charge of the efforts who was quite the stickler. He made the spraying assignments and knew exactly how long it would take you to cover it. If you came back too soon you were fired on the spot. They systematically made their way through the areas and killed off the malaria carriers thereby breaking the parasite lifecycle and eliminating or greatly reducing the parasite population.

I believe the targeted use of DDT helped eliminate malaria whereas the indiscriminate use of DDT is what led to its environmental effects being questioned which led to its world-wide ban.

/ Coyotes and Deer
I am leaving this afternoon to go down to my cabin. I have a mouth call and a super cheap electric call. I'm going to cut fire wood, sight in some rifles and try to kill a few coyotes. I will try to kill as many pigs as I can as well. Tally for the year so far: 3 pigs, 1 coyote. I don't think I'm making much of a dent but at least the pigs are good eating.

/ Coyotes and Deer #189  
Hey George...

This is the best predator call I have ever used. A rubber band stretched inside is what makes the noise. Put it in your mouth, (both hands free), and you adjust the squeal and loudness with your wind pressure and pressure between your teeth. It can be louder or softer as work with it. Get one and see!

Burnham Brothers S-2 Close Range Predator Call

/ Coyotes and Deer #190  
Im sure you can find something on the web that supports this, so it's gotta be true, or maybe i can just make something up and post it somewhere then reference the posting as gospel.

I'm not sure what your talking about? If its referencing DDT being used for mosquito control in other countries i don't need to find it on the web. I've been to many of those countries and know people in them and know they still use it... Either way pribably off topic unless DDT works on coyotes.... :)