Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez !

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #61  
As you guys know, I am a solid proponent of the 2nd Amendment and self defense (including Castle Doctrine).
However, if the news report is true and accurate (which is very debatable), the man went beyond self defense...far beyond. The coup de grace shots are not warranted.

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #62  
Wow is about all I can say.

As you guys know, I am a solid proponent of the 2nd Amendment and self defense (including Castle Doctrine).
However, if the news report is true and accurate (which is very debatable), the man went beyond self defense...far beyond. The coup de grace shots are not warranted.

IF the article is true, I agree with roy here. And all of you who said similar things.

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #63  
"If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again," Smith told investigators,

I feel for the guy being put in a position like he was in, but to me he ended up being worse than the criminals, and he gets whats coming to him now.

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #64  
I suggest your read the articles on the shooting by Ersland in Oklahoma City. Maybe even watch the security video of the shooting posted on youtube. The dead boy in Ersland's case was robbing the pharmacy, and the jury convicted Ersland of murder.

When that story first broke I thought that once again the press was showing it's bias and advocating again to just be passive and accept whatever the bad guys want to do to you. But as more of the story came out, and when they released the security videos, it was apparent the pharmacist went too far (by Oklahoma law). And for those who wonder, Oklahoma self defense law is not overly restrictive.

I'm usually on the side of the whatever it takes crowd, but by the shooter's description of the events of his home invasion/breakin I am of the opinion that once the immediate threat was neutralized the next step would be to leave the immediate area (in this case the basement), call 911 to report the shooting, and to not make any statements without an attorny present.

I feel for all three victims in this case, and can understand the shooter's state of mind. I've had some thefts from around my place over the last 2-3 years, but nothing I can justify killing over (although my generator theft did make me think a bit) even though I know who has stolen almost everything.

Ken

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #65  
When that story first broke I thought that once again the press was showing it's bias and advocating again to just be passive and accept whatever the bad guys want to do to you. But as more of the story came out, and when they released the security videos, it was apparent the pharmacist went too far (by Oklahoma law). And for those who wonder, Oklahoma self defense law is not overly restrictive.

I'm usually on the side of the whatever it takes crowd, but by the shooter's description of the events of his home invasion/breakin I am of the opinion that once the immediate threat was neutralized the next step would be to leave the immediate area (in this case the basement), call 911 to report the shooting, and to not make any statements without an attorny present.

I feel for all three victims in this case, and can understand the shooter's state of mind. I've had some thefts from around my place over the last 2-3 years, but nothing I can justify killing over (although my generator theft did make me think a bit) even though I know who has stolen almost everything.

Ken

How many times do some people have to be robbed before they loose it ?

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #66  
How many times do some people have to be robbed before they loose it ?

So far more than 7 time for more than an unspecified number of dollars. If you haven't read the story in the link provided by Greasemonkyok i wuggest you do read it. You have a pharmacist that was robbed more than once, two young men (armed) came in to rob him. He shot one, chased the second out of the store, came back in the store and emptied his weapon into the young man lying on the floor.

Go read how "losing it" worked out for the pharmacist.

Ken

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #67  
Only two things to tell to the police in a self defense shooting situation: "I feared for my life" and "I will say no more until I have talked to my my lawyer". But, please call 911 as soon as practical -- not the next day (unless you are in shock or wounded).

Even in Kalifornia it is assumed that someone breaking into your home has intent to do you harm. A homeowner under attack (assumed because of break-in) has no duty to retreat (leave the dangerous scene/jump out the window, etc.). Deadly force is justified to stop (assumed) attack.

I have seen reports of police officers killed by bad guys that were shot in the heart with .357 magnum or .45 ACP and still lived long enough to pull a gun and kill the officer. When you are under attack, only a DEAD assailant is a safe assailant. Especially when you do not know how many more of them might be in the house.

BTW I am an NRA certified home defense instructor.

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #68  
Only two things to tell to the police in a self defense shooting situation: "I feared for my life" and "I will say no more until I have talked to my my lawyer". But, please call 911 as soon as practical -- not the next day (unless you are in shock or wounded).

Even in Kalifornia it is assumed that someone breaking into your home has intent to do you harm. A homeowner under attack (assumed because of break-in) has no duty to retreat (leave the dangerous scene/jump out the window, etc.). Deadly force is justified to stop (assumed) attack.

I have seen reports of police officers killed by bad guys that were shot in the heart with .357 magnum or .45 ACP and still lived long enough to pull a gun and kill the officer. When you are under attack, only a DEAD assailant is a safe assailant. Especially when you do not know how many more of them might be in the house.

I have been told by more than a few of my law enforcement friends that my answer to why I emptied the gun into the thief is that I was scared for my life and he was still moving , They said don't shoot to wound shoot to kill and empty the gun period . this guy should have kept his mouth shut and he would have no problems .anytime you brag or show off it's going to cost you one way or another !

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #69  
Regardless of what this man said, even a cursory crime scene investigation would have raised red flags all over the place. I know CSI is a far cry from reality, but I have reviewed hundreds of reports done by average Officers and Investigators used to successfully prosecute.

I accept the advisability of keeping your mouth shut in any use of force incident. I do however believe this is a prosecutable case even without his utterances, he just made it easier.

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #70  

Yep, that is what I have been taught. Anything you say can be used against you.