New barn project underway...

/ New barn project underway... #1  

jcwells

Tractor
JD 3032E
Some of you may recall my previous barn thread from a year ago:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/223917-any-ideas-how-refurb-old.html

Well, after taking a much closer look at what I had to work with there, I decided to have it pulled down, and to start fresh. I'm starting this thread so that you all can follow along, and offer your comments/criticisms/jokes/general abuse, as you see fit!

What I had:

IMG_5231 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

What we decided to do in the spring:

IMG_5300 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

Nearly all of the poles in the pole barn were rotted off at ground level. The building had the impression of being sturdy, because the tin was holding it all together, but the thing probably would have gone down in a severe storm. We all thought it best to get it down on our terms rather than the weather's.

After stocking back up on greenbacks over the summer, we've gotten down to the business of building a new barn. We're going with a 40' x 60' metal building, with a 10' awning extending around one corner. We're placing it on a concrete pad. The barn will have a 20' x 20' finished office space, with the rest being used as a wood shop, dry storage, and garage/car shop space. The size was carefully negotiated with SWMBO, me wanting something like 80' x 160', and she wanting a storage shed hidden from view.

So, here are some pics of where we are today, with the pad cleared, nearly leveled and formed up. Should be one more day of prep, then rebar and hopefully pour by the end of the week.

The pad area:

IMG_6096 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

IMG_6099 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

IMG_6095 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

Tractor content (not mine :( ):

IMG_6092 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

I could use some advice as to how to place plumbing drops in the right places in the pad to accomodate a toilet and shower. Do they have to be precisely placed in advance, or can the plumber tap into a closely-placed drain pipe that will connect to an existing septic tank that served the old barn? Also, how best to bring electrical up to the building; through the pad or conduit going over the pad, and into the building?

Looking forward to your comments...

John

/ New barn project underway... #2  
Looks good! Your 3" drain for toilet needs to be set 12 1/2" from the back of the wall you plan to set it on. Sink drains of 1.5" just need to be centered in a wall you plan to build interior or exterior. As for the shower a stubbed up 2" inside a 12x12" cardboard box full of dirt will work. That gives the plumber a place to dig it out and install a P trap. He can make his adjustments with that. Hope this helps. That's going to be a nice man cave and good luck to ya. Don't forget to fill in the cardboard box with plaster or quickcrete to block of the entrance for termites or ants after plumber connects drain.

/ New barn project underway... #3  
As far as electrical I would bring conduit up the outside wall and were you go trough the wall mount your panel there. No need to go trough the slab unless your wanting a exceptionally clean install. Just a preference. But if you want to bring it through the slab again just center it of were a wall will be erected. Depending on how many bends, 90s and such if something ever happens you may not be able to get new wire trough there as to having it externally.

/ New barn project underway...
Thanks for that advice, Sharpservices. Looks like my builder was on top of things. After finalizing the locations that we needed for plumbing stubs in the planned bathroom, he did just as you suggested. The old barn had water, septic and electrical to it, and so we will use those feeds for the new one.

Here's the work that took place this week. I don't have photos of the final fill work, the vapor barrier overlay, or the setting of the rebar, since it was dark when I got back from work every night this week.

The 40' x 60' pad, with a ten foot "patio" around the southeast corner and two ramps leading up to the pad was poured on Friday.

IMG_6103 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

54 yards of 4000 psi concrete in all, for a 6" thick pad. I could land jets on this thing!

IMG_6107 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

IMG_6105 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

The concrete crew returned this morning to pull the forms. Here's where we're at right now.

IMG_6111 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

We'll start getting the frame welded up in the coming week. With any luck, we'll have the barn skinned before Christmas, which will make my wife really happy. We'll then be able to get the storage stuff moved out of the garage, and I can put the cars away!

IMG_6101 by jcwellsq8, on Flickr

(Don't laugh at the blue and gold beast. That's my beater that fires up every time after sitting around neglected for months!)

/ New barn project underway... #5  
What a great Christmas story!

A nice barn to start the new year.

Congratulations and keep the pictures coming...

PS Great idea about the cardboard box to use as a temporary form... I had always made mine from wood... cardboard from now on filled with dirt.

/ New barn project underway... #6  
Looks great. I love your bourbon, I had a 89' that couldn't be stopped!

/ New barn project underway... #7  
If you don't mind me asking, what the budget for a barn like this? Looking at doing one myself and seems like a wide range on costs

/ New barn project underway... #8  
$15/square foot with a slab around here.

/ New barn project underway... #9  
That will be a nice sized barn, looks like you have room to add on if you need to, for future toys.:D

Dave

/ New barn project underway...
If you don't mind me asking, what the budget for a barn like this? Looking at doing one myself and seems like a wide range on costs

This one is going to run me about $20/sq ft, but that quote includes quite a few extras; the "patio" and 10' awning around the SE corner, some fence work, a bunch of gravel work to extend the driveway, and some additional gravel work to upgrade the rest of the driveway. The work is being done by a local guy who focuses on metal buildings. So far, I'm really pleased.