They're having a ball in Illinois...

/ They're having a ball in Illinois... #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Sorry, couldn't resist. Thought some of you might enjoy this video re: Big "turkey fries" fry in Illinois. Never sampled them, but "oyster fry" fries are a tradition here in Oklahoma; our F.F.A. used to have a big one every year. We have a local cafe in OKC, called "Cattlemen's Cafe" that is famous for its lamb fries nationwide, or so they claim. The best by far that I have ever eaten, calf fries, were at the "Big Texan" restaurant in Amarillo, right on I-40. I recommend them highly; order a HALF ORDER, or you'll be asking for a take-out box. If you're lucky, there will be someone there who is trying for the free 72 oz. steak, which you have to eat in an hour if you want it free.

I guess I never thought of Illinois as having the rural culture associated with the enjoyment of turkey fries, but I recall the one time I went through there, I saw some of the most beautiful, well kept farms, with some of the riches soil in the world. What about some of the rest of you, are turkey fries and mountain oysters popular in your areas?

P.S. I own no stock or interest of any kind in the obove-referenced restaurants.

Just Visit US - Turkey ******** Festival - YouTube

/ They're having a ball in Illinois... #2  
Yeah, people think of Illinois think of Chicago. Most of the state is pretty rural with lots of farms. My father in law used to raise pigs, so you can guess what he would fix once or twice every year. I'd never touch them, just the site of them freaked me out. In the particular part of Illinois I live, there is some of the best farm ground in the world.

/ They're having a ball in Illinois... #3  
There are plenty of rural folks in IL- I grew up on a farm in south central IL (near Mt. Vernon) and tried rocky mountain oysters at a big "neighborhood" fish fry when I was probably 10-11 years old.

/ They're having a ball in Illinois... #4  
I live about 1 1/2 hours from Chicago, only about 30 mins from the farthest suburb, it is strange how quickly it goes from "suburbia" to farmland- probably only a few miles where it is kinda mixed, then it's farmland and small rural towns forever after that. I actually work in a far suburb because I am not a farmer and that is the only place to make money, drive 38 miles one way to work, six days a week.

to answer your question, yes I have tried the infamous oysters at a wild game dinner when I was about 12. And I think one other time after that, but I think it was at a bar and I was already a little less than sober. I don't have a bad memory from either time so they must have been alright.

/ They're having a ball in Illinois... #5  
I lived in Des Plaines, Ill. in the mid to late 60's but I have heard that it has drastically changed...gangs and such...??? Do any of you know if that is true...? Thanks

/ They're having a ball in Illinois... #6  
The best by far that I have ever eaten, calf fries, were at the "Big Texan" restaurant in Amarillo, right on I-40. I recommend them highly; order a HALF ORDER, or you'll be asking for a take-out box.

I agree, and I did not order a half order, and I did ask for the take-out box and had them for supper the next night. That was on July 4, 1994. I was doing a gas leakage survey for about 3 weeks in Amarillo and our daughter and 5 year old grandson came up to visit, so we took them to the Big Texan. They didn't know what mountain oysters were, and I'd never eaten any myself, but they were very good.

I lived in Des Plaines, Ill. in the mid to late 60's but I have heard that it has drastically changed...gangs and such...??? Do any of you know if that is true...? Thanks

We lived in an apartment in Des Plaines for the 1971-72 school year, but haven't been back since.