Razor Clams.......can't beat em!

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #31  
You never want to fry a razor clam more than 2 min. total in the oil other wise they will get tough. We like them about 20 seconds on each side after they have dipped in an egg wash, then crushed saltiens. Very tender that way.

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #32  
You never want to fry a razor clam more than 2 min. total in the oil other wise they will get tough. We like them about 20 seconds on each side after they have dipped in an egg wash, then crushed saltiens. Very tender that way.
Yep, that's the "secret" for a lot of sea food, if you cook it, just barely or you have to cook it much longer to get it somewhat chewable.

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #33  
Jerry, clams are good raw. Always eat the breast of Geoduck raw, sliced thin. I miss the days when I lived in Alaska, and the limit for the east side if cook inlet was 60 per person, i could dig 3 limits 180 (one for the wife and oldest son, as well as myself) in 30-40 minutes, but would be up until the wee hours cleaning. And they were so much bigger than the ones down here. For those not from the PNW the picture is of a Geoduck.

And it's pronounced "gooeyduck."

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #34  
Thanks for replying. Some members may not be aware that wooden traps are used for Stone Crab and metal traps for Blue Crab. A Stone Crab will cut right through a metal Blue Crab trap.Cheers, back at you.

most stone crabbers these days use polymer traps (look like plastic milk crates)...The most remarkable thing a lot of folks don't know about 'Stone Crabs' is that they are a renewable resource...i.e., you only harvest the claws and return the live crab to the sea...they regenerate their claws...

Another thing about stone crabs is they can't swim...they travel across the bottom...so the trap entrances are different than 'Blue' crab traps...

a note about the plastic traps...there is a space in them for a piece of degradable material (most use a soft wood slat)...so if the buoy line gets detached they do not become death traps...

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #35  
We have been using a "bio" since the early 80's and while it is a little different for each type of pot the result is the same, after a couple months it creates a way for crab to escape.

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em!
Pete's recipe for prep and frying is right on target. Just did this.....tender and wonderful. Edlegault.....the patty recipe sounds good. Never did our clams that way but reminds me of the salmon patties my Mom used to make when I was a kid. My wife is going to give it a try.......can't wait. I make my own cocktail sauce with ketchup, horseradish and Chulula. Tastes pretty good on fried clams.....would be good on the patties. All this talk is making me hungry....better go have leftover clam!:thumbsup:

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #37  
most stone crabbers these days use polymer traps (look like plastic milk crates)...The most remarkable thing a lot of folks don't know about 'Stone Crabs' is that they are a renewable resource...i.e., you only harvest the claws and return the live crab to the sea...they regenerate their claws...

Another thing about stone crabs is they can't swim...they travel across the bottom...so the trap entrances are different than 'Blue' crab traps...

a note about the plastic traps...there is a space in them for a piece of degradable material (most use a soft wood slat)...so if the buoy line gets detached they do not become death traps...
I was unaware of the polymer traps. Thanks for posting. I can also remember when you were only allowed to take one claw until that method was changed.

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #38  
I make my own cocktail sauce with ketchup, horseradish and Chulula

I've always been very fond of shrimp cocktail and quite a few years ago, one day I found we were out of the cocktail sauce, but had ketchup and Kraft horseradish sauce in the refrigerator. I haven't bought any real cocktail sauce since; really prefer the homemade with just the 2 ingredients.

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #39  
If you want to make real seafood cocktail sauce, it's ketchup, ground hot horseradish, worchestershire sauce and lemon juice.

Tartar sauce is more complicated:

2 cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced shallot or onion
2 tablespoons minced dill pickle
2 tablespoons sweet relish
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons drained and minced capers
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce such as Tabasco

That's the real stuff. You can leave out some ingredients if you have to or want to. I commonly leave out the hot sauce. The capers are the secret ingredient.

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #40  
Larry we do our sauces the exact same way except I have never tried dill pickles in the tartar and use tapitio, oh yea and I am not so organized as you either, I use a splash of this, a glug of that:laughing: