Neighbor removed my property line pin

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #1  

TCBoomer

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC24DA
5 years ago I paid for a property line survey so I could continue a privacy screen(200 arborvitaes added to the existing 100 already in place) to completely block a problem neighbor. As a result of this survey I gained a several feet of property about 250' in length. Actually the length is greater but it's woodlands and no need for plantings there. Neighbor didn't dispute any of it(for the most part) even when I pointed out that his underground service for his phone was on my property. Specifically: the riser for this phone service was clearly on my property and I informed him it was fine to leave it...it was located outside the arborvitaes at the corner point, so what did I care.

This past spring I noticed the riser for the phone service was gone as well as the corner pin that my surveyor installed. When the survey was done I took pics of all the pins and documented the distance from the arborvitaes. Just to be certain, I went searching/digging for the corner pin and it's history.

I'm tempted to confront him about it, but then part of me says just leave well enough alone. It bugs me on principle that the pins gone, but since the arborvitaes are permanent and growing fast, why should I care...I know where the corner is and so does he and I have digital pics. There is peace between us now, but only because I took the initiative to bury the hatchet between us. We've both been here 20+years.

There's more to the story, but I'll leave be for now...

Should I be concerned that the pin is gone?
Was this legal for him or whoever moved the phone service riser to do this? I'm 99% certain he was the one who removed it

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #2  
In Ky, that is against the law. Ken Sweet

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #3  
I drove a length of rebar into the ground where the surveyor put his pins in. I do this on all my plots. It makes it easy to find if something happens and the pins / markers disappear. In my case it is usually farm machinery that destroys the markers.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #4  
If spmeone dug up the phone line could they have dug up the pin by accident not knowing what it was?

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #5  
I drove a length of rebar into the ground where the surveyor put his pins in. I do this on all my plots. It makes it easy to find if something happens and the pins / markers disappear. In my case it is usually farm machinery that destroys the markers.

I do the same. Just paint the top of the rebar orange so you can find it.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #6  
Surveyors can make mistakes.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin

I did the same with all the intermediate line markers, but where there was a pin with a ID stamp on the tag, I left alone. The missing pin had a tag

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #9  
In the interest of good relations, could you assume that the person who moved the telephone riser accidentally dug up the pin? Maybe the neighbor had nothing to do with it.

Surveyors can make mistakes.

The survey itself was never disputed. In fact the neighbor just played stupid when the actual property line location was established. In fact I clearly remember the day we were discussing his phone line riser. He built his home a year earlier than mine and he "thought" the property line was "here"....emphasis on the quotation marks