Butchering Chickens

/ Butchering Chickens #71  
A 20 week old bird fries up good too, and the meat tastes better to me. The "experts" say that because that is the most profitable bird to grow.

/ Butchering Chickens #73  
I wish there would have been one of those wizbang thingamagigs back when I was a kid on the farm when every Sat morning we had to sit and hand pluck scalded chickens. For about 12 weeks starting in April we killed an average of 200 to 400 chickens each week. One year we got 3000 baby birds in the mail over a course of 3 weeks.
What a pain

/ Butchering Chickens #74  
with over 7 billion on this planet the available food supply needs all the help it can get.
in the agriculture industry the percentage of farmers who grow food to feed the masses is dropping more and more each year. Someone on another web site that it is nearly 2 to 98 now.
All of this clap trap spewing from the mouths of the 98 against genetically modified foods is just plain stupidity on their part. if they can't get used to the idea of the processes then they need to study where most of the food of today comes from and how it came into being.
The corn that so many eat every day for instance did not even exist naturally

What you say is true Frank, but I wouldn't be so quick to call the critics "stupid". Genetically modified systems are still in their infancy so to speak, and there is really very little knowledge base to predict all of the potential consequences. Biological systems are not as predictible as chemical or mechanical systems, in that they are part and parcel of evolution, genetics and a complex ecological system. What seems like a good idea today may provide another pespective after 20 years of cultivation.

/ Butchering Chickens #75  
What you say is true Frank, but I wouldn't be so quick to call the critics "stupid". Genetically modified systems are still in their infancy so to speak, and there is really very little knowledge base to predict all of the potential consequences. Biological systems are not as predictible as chemical or mechanical systems, in that they are part and parcel of evolution, genetics and a complex ecological system. What seems like a good idea today may provide another pespective after 20 years of cultivation.
Not to mention that the genes being spliced into these systems are nothing like genes has been modified by selective breeding being done to this point.

/ Butchering Chickens #76  

2LaneCruzer - Once the word "stupidity" is brought up, I have found there's no use trying to use logic or reasoning.

/ Butchering Chickens #77  
OK admittedly I may have been a bit harsh and obviously brash in using the word stupidity in reference to those who are against GM because in doing so this make it appear that I am accusing them of actually knowing that GMs are safe but are just against the m because it is popular they think to be against the GMs. Or that they have some other agenda..
Nor would I chose to imply that GMs induced through chemical alterations regardless of origins are always going to be safe to do so would be tantamount to stupidity on my part.
In truth when it comes to GMs everyone has to plead just a little bit of ignorance those creating them due to the lack of proven track history for a new GM, Those who are against them based solely on things they have heard without investigating on their own and those who are for them because they know the ones that have been around for a while with a favorable track record thus far but still could eventually exhibit unknown issues latter on.
At least ignorance is curable in time since it is just a lack of knowledge.
As far as my statement about the 2 verses the 98 unbelievably both need each other. the 98 would starve with-in a short time if it weren't for the few remaining farmers and the farmers could not produce anywhere near the yields they do now without members of the 98 doing research and development as well as manufacturing..But at the same time there is a huge percentage in the 98 who do nothing but consume. I'm not going there because the thread would be a total train wreck.
I am interested in those DIY chicken pluckers though