Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 77
  1. #1
    Silver Member sjerden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    122
    Location
    Illinois
    Tractor
    2 Allis Chalmers WD, Case SC

    Default Butchering Chickens

    Everyonce-in-a-while I take some chickens to the Mennonites for butchering. The last time I dropped some off I noticed a row of 4 or 5 cones nailed to some trees next to the lane. Its a pretty neat device and simple to make and use. It makes cutting the heads off a cleaner and safer operation, so I made one of my own.
    Butchering Chickens-chickendispatcher.jpg
    Its just a coil of aluminum flashing riveted together. Stick the chicken in the funnel and pull its head out the bottom. Its quick and easy. Then, fling em out so they can flop around and drain the blood out. There are few things more satisfying than knowing that, when the economy collapses, we can process our own food.

  2. #2
    Super Member texasjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,042
    Location
    Central Texas, Jarrell
    Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

    Default Re: Butchering Chickens

    When I was about 10, my uncles did some sort of trade where they ended up with about 100 live chickens to slaughter for the freezer...They were done in batches...tied to a clothes line, necks cut, bled out, taken to scalding water, dipped, feathers scraped off, gutted, livers, gizzards, hearts retrieved, cut up, packaged, put in freezer. Took all day, exhausting, middle of summer, piles of garbage to take off. I can still smell soaked hot chicken feathers!

    Wish we had known about the cone thing.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

    Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

  3. #3
    Veteran Member vtsnowedin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,801

    Default Re: Butchering Chickens

    A plastic traffic cone with some of the tip cut off works well.

  4. #4
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    22,519
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: Butchering Chickens

    I've seen that cone before, but it was mounted on a board on legs wide enough to accommodate a drip pan underneath it. They'd cut the head off and just leave it in the cone while the blood drained into the pan. No flopping around and less mess.
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


  5. #5
    Platinum Member Reyer Farms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    608
    Location
    Lena, ms
    Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjerden
    Everyonce-in-a-while I take some chickens to the Mennonites for butchering. The last time I dropped some off I noticed a row of 4 or 5 cones nailed to some trees next to the lane. Its a pretty neat device and simple to make and use. It makes cutting the heads off a cleaner and safer operation, so I made one of my own.
    <img src="http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=291567"/>
    Its just a coil of aluminum flashing riveted together. Stick the chicken in the funnel and pull its head out the bottom. Its quick and easy. Then, fling em out so they can flop around and drain the blood out. There are few things more satisfying than knowing that, when the economy collapses, we can process our own food.
    Yeah, mighty fine. You don't really know it till you grow it. Now that my wife has master homemade cream filling for snack cakes we are set!!!! My great grandpaw's measure of wealth was the contents of his smoke house and pantry. What most value will depreciate very fast when they are hungry. Any one remember Esau selling his birthright for soup?

  6. #6
    ATP
    ATP is offline
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    79
    Location
    Land Between the Lakes
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038e

    Default Re: Butchering Chickens

    Quote Originally Posted by Reyer Farms View Post
    Yeah, mighty fine. You don't really know it till you grow it. Now that my wife has master homemade cream filling for snack cakes we are set!!!! My great grandpaw's measure of wealth was the contents of his smoke house and pantry. What most value will depreciate very fast when they are hungry. Any one remember Esau selling his birthright for soup?
    Yep, i rememer, that boy was HUNGRY...

    And there was old Jacob...


    John Deere 3038e
    Kentucky

  7. #7
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,431
    Location
    Yanceyville, North Carolina
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

    Default Re: Butchering Chickens

    How to Make Killing Cones for Chickens | eHow.com When I was growing up, we inserted a piece of wrapped tin in the neck of a gallon bleach bottle.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

  8. #8
    Super Member 2LaneCruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,695
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    John Deere LX172

    Default Re: Butchering Chickens

    Quote Originally Posted by creekbend View Post
    How to Make Killing Cones for Chickens | eHow.com When I was growing up, we inserted a piece of wrapped tin in the neck of a gallon bleach bottle.
    We used to use a broom handle. Just grab the chicken by the legs, put it's neck under the broom handle, put a foot on the broom handle on each side of the head, and pull. Fast and efficient. Toss the chicken on the ground and let it flop.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

  9. #9
    Epic Contributor jinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    20,950
    Location
    Texas - Wise County - Sunset
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

    Default Re: Butchering Chickens

    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    We used to use a broom handle. Just grab the chicken by the legs, put it's neck under the broom handle, put a foot on the broom handle on each side of the head, and pull. Fast and efficient. Toss the chicken on the ground and let it flop.
    I put a hyperlink on PETA.com to this thread. Boy! Are you guys gonna be in trouble.
    Jim


  10. #10
    Super Star Member brin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,070
    Location
    Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

    Default Re: Butchering Chickens

    Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    I put a hyperlink on PETA.com to this thread. Boy! Are you guys gonna be in trouble.
    Way to go Jim....Poor Chickens ...they have feelings, families and friends too.....Chicken song 10 hours! - YouTube

    chicken dance song - YouTube
    Bob

    WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.


    NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chickens
    By chucko in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
  2. chickens
    By ebeacham in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 06:24 PM
  3. Butchering Rabbits
    By NoTrespassing in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 10:53 PM
  4. chickens
    By dlabrie in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 07:52 PM
  5. Butchering chickens
    By ejb in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-22-2002, 07:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.