Property appraisals

/ Property appraisals #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Guys, last week I visited my credit union and applied for a home equity loan. Said property I wanted the loan for is paid off and was given an actual appraisal inside and out by an appraiser back in early 2000, and his valuation of the property was $120,000 then. Cost me $125.00. In August of 2002, I refinanced to build on, and the same appraiser did a "drive by" appraisal then that cost me $150.00, and the appraisal for that time was $140,000. WOW. A $20,000 increase (on paper) in value in 2 1/2 years, and the taxes only went up $30 a year in that time period. The refinance money I borrowed was used to build on to and modernize the house, and it went from a 900 square foot 2 bedroom, 1 bath, to a 3-4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath with 2500 square feet and full finished basement in the addition.

So, my credit union loan officer says I have to pay a $325 appraisal fee to borrow $70,000.00, and I just got a call from the SAME APPRAISER who did the 2000 and 2002 appraisals. He has some questions for me, and no, I have not contacted him yet. According to the paperwork, I will have to pay the appraisal fee even though the 2000 and 2002 appraisals clearly say the property is worth far more than the $70,000 I am borrowing, and should they check my tax records at the township they will learn my property has a fair market value of more than 4X what I want to borrow.

Can anyone tell me why appraisals are even required in situations like mine? The lender knows the property has no liens and I have clear title....and yes, I also have to pay an inflated fee for a title search. Makes no sense to me.

/ Property appraisals #2  
why does a dog lick himself?

because he (they ) can.:D:laughing:

/ Property appraisals #3  
Well, property values in a lot of the country have plummetted and your appraisal is now 10 years old. We recently sold the house my wife bought 12 years ago for about half of what she paid for it. And the title search is to prove that there are no liens. Lending on homes is a lot strictor than it was before the housing bubble burst.

/ Property appraisals #4  
Banks are making money on anything they can. The appraiser is paid a fee and the bank steps on it so they share in the fee. If banks lent money like they are supposed to do, and made mo ey on interest, instead of squatting on it and tacking on fees and service charges to prop up the bottom line. It would be nice.

/ Property appraisals #5  
seems to me that a 10 year old appraisal would be considered outdated. i also don't think tax appraisals are necessarily accurate. but they should have informed you before you started any application that the appraisal would be required and how much it would cost.

/ Property appraisals #6  
In a time of 2.75 interest rates the banks make money on higher fee's.

/ Property appraisals #7  
I've wondered the same thing. I bought a property last year, from the bank that owned it. They had just repoed the property, had all the ino, but I still had to pay for a title search. Basically it seems to be subsidy system for the industry.

/ Property appraisals #8  
10 years is too long between appraisals that's the main reason. As far as tax appraisals they should be taken with a grain of salt. Mine went up 50k in the last 5 years even though housing market has tanked. Houses that are comps in the same town have been on the market for months and months without even an offer for less than mine, they can't sell. Towns will push up appraisals to get more taxes.
I would kill 2 birds, if the new bank appraisal comes in for less than your current tax one use it for leverage for grievance day.

/ Property appraisals #9  
Shop around for another bank or credit union. Others are correct about appraisals then and now. Also see if borrowing less can get you a deal. If you only borrowed 1/4 of the value instad of 1/3, would they waive some fees? Around here (Brighton), some homes are now at 1/2 to 3/4 of their former values from a bank's viewpoint. Not so from the tax man.

BTW: 2 years ago, all my credit union cared for was whether the house was on the property. I only borrowed 1/10th of the value, though. I use the H.E.L.C for occasional emergencies or splurges. I could pay it off with a check from my IRA but I'm getting better rates on the IRA money.

/ Property appraisals #10  
Banks are making money on anything they can. The appraiser is paid a fee and the bank steps on it so they share in the fee. If banks lent money like they are supposed to do, and made mo ey on interest, instead of squatting on it and tacking on fees and service charges to prop up the bottom line. It would be nice.

Not sure how to say this without offending you (not my intent), but this response is just absurd. No, I do not work for a bank (never have, no reason to think I ever will). I'm not saying that there aren't banks that don't somehow make a spread because it is possible that could be the case, but I can say that in 25 years of dealing with banks personally, on behalf of clients, and on behalf of my employers, I have never seen that to be the case -and I have ALWAYS seen and approved the appraisal invoice (if not paid it directly, in the past). I've been involved with 15-20 deals over that time period with probably 7 or 8 different banks. I'm not in real estate, either.

The reason they are required even in this type of situation is gov't regulation post housing crash. They've always been required in most circumstances, but before regulation bankers had a reasonable degree of latitude. That latitude is almost entirely gone, either directly due to regulatory requirements or to new bank policies adopted to ensure the bank survives gov't stress tests and stays in compliance (and can prove it). While not the OP's issue, same regulatory environment is what is keeping money tied up... not banks choosing to sit on it. Go talk to any banker and you'll find them as frustrated as any potential borrower about how difficult it is these days to lend and borrow money (and the addtl hoops one must jumo through even if the borrower is well known and fully qualifiable).

Back to the OP... you've actually been quotes pretty decent rates. Regs have also increases for appraisers, so their time, effort, and liability exposure have gone up driving up your cost. For example, they can now typically rely only on comparable sales within the last 12 months (used to be able to go back further) , which in rural markets often means checking comps in more disparate markets... ie., more research, time, and travel. And, as others have posted, your most recent appraisal is 10 years old,,, which wouldnt have passed any bank policy even preregulation.

Before closing I will note that while the intense new banking regulations of recent years have had a major negative impact on lending and have resulted in higher costs for both borrower and lended, the intent behind them was to prevent another debt crisis due to over-liberal (sometimes bordering on criminal) lending practices -we're just suffering from unintended consequences.