Selling a house to be moved.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #21  
The cost of renovations is not relevant. It's a sunk cost, gone. I'd get the $10k out of your head and look at this from his point of view or you might miss out on a good deal. You need to think about what it's worth to him to see if you can get more than 10k out of it or just settle for having it gone free.

Start with what it's worth moved and work backwards. Leave him a decent profit and see what yo can ask from there.

Agreed.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #22  
If you agree on a price for the house. The house must first be stripped of brick before it's moved. This lightens it quite a bit. If it has an attached garage, that will be moved separately. The house on the inside will suffer some drywall damage if it's not secured properly. They first strip the house of brick. All electrical and utilities are disconnected. two holes are broken out on each end lengthwise of the foundation . Steel beams are put thru then jacked up and the base area is cleared so the house support beams can be attached to wheel rigs on both ends. It's like building a mobile home frame under the house.

The house does have value. 2200 square feet should easily fetch 25K or possibly more. At todays prices for lumber is what drives the house as a reusable product. Don't give it away at a low price. Think of what it would cost to dry in a home that size. Take 30% of that to make a price. I wouldn't go any lower. It's not that difficult to move a home. I bid on a house in an auction that size over twenty five years ago that the airport was taking the property. I bailed out at 40k.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #23  
The house does have value. 2200 square feet should easily fetch 25K or possibly more. At todays prices for lumber is what drives the house as a reusable product. Don't give it away at a low price.

This is 100% location dependent.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #24  
Houses can be moved with the brick still on.
A grading contractor and a building contractor aren't likely to have the equipment to safely move a house.
Around here houses that are moved are usually free.....free not counting hiring the mover, permits, paying to have phone and electric lines disconnected and reconnected where they are too low for the house to pass under. In this area a house that's being moved is treated as new construction by the building inspectors. Everything needs to be brought up to current code.
I'd say if you give him the house and get him to fill the hole you'd have a good deal.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #25  
Pops15 said:
Houses can be moved with the brick still on.
A grading contractor and a building contractor aren't likely to have the equipment to safely move a house.
Around here houses that are moved are usually free.....free not counting hiring the mover, permits, paying to have phone and electric lines disconnected and reconnected where they are too low for the house to pass under. In this area a house that's being moved is treated as new construction by the building inspectors. Everything needs to be brought up to current code.
I'd say if you give him the house and get him to fill the hole you'd have a good deal.

Please share this info how one can pull the foundation out from under a brick wall and it doesn't crack the wall. Houses are sold to be moved in this area all the time. Buyer pays moving fees plus the cost of the dwelling.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #26  
Please share this info how one can pull the foundation out from under a brick wall and it doesn't crack the wall. Houses are sold to be moved in this area all the time. Buyer pays moving fees plus the cost of the dwelling.

Masonry construction buildings are moved all the time. You may choose not to agree.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #27  

Check out the link in Moss Road's post #18 to see a large brick building being moved.

In THIS area the value of a house that's going to be moved is often less than zero.......
A local college has been buying up surrounding property as it becomes available for 30+ years. Back in the 80's they would sell the houses for $1 to people that wanted to move them. The cost to move them and bring them up to current code was running very close to what new construction cost. I finished the basement in one of them. My customer said they would have been money ahead to build new. There was a big L shaped one story 6 unit apartment next door. It had also been purchased for $1 and been moved. I knew the owners. That one ran more to move and bring up to code than new construction would have cost. A brick house my Dad built in the 50's was one of the houses that was moved. All of those were moved with the brick in place.
The college it still buying property. The cost to move and bring up to current code is so high that they haven't been able to sell any for $1 for many years. They tear them down.

In the same town the village was given a historic house for free by a developer. They moved it two blocks and brought it up to code. Cost was something like $276K.

A friend of mine was offered a house for free that was going to be torn down to make room for a retail development. He wanted to move it to a vacant lot my in-laws had for sale several blocks away. He never even got bids to bring it up to code. The cost of the lot, the movers, having the utility companies disconnect and reconnect overhead lines, the moving permit were more than an similar existing house would cost. In addition to those costs, the city wanted a $30K cash bond to cover potential damage to the roads.

I know a guy in another state that is involved with a group that tries to find someone to move historically significant small buildings from an area that is being re-developed. I know of one case where they sold two buildings for $1. Even at that price it took four years to find a buyer. The only reason they were moved was to preserve history. The cost to replace them would have been less than the cost to move them.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #28  
Blackrat, I think I would look at the tax advantages of getting the house off the tax roles. What is the current property tax value of the house? If you talk to a CPA and have documentation of renovation costs you've spent, you might be able to declare a loss on income tax as well. Those things and free removal seem to favor asking the contractor what he would consider a fair price. I wouldn't just offer it for free, but if he says he will remove the structure and pay you a small amount or do it for free, I'd be inclined to accept his offer. I'd be mostly interested in when he would start, how long he will take, and what will happen if he gets half-way through the job and changes his mind. You have the chance of having all your work and expense half destroyed and then he walks away. I think I'd want a bond posted with full refund on completion. If he doesn't finish the job, then he forfeits the bond to you. You want to be better off when this over; either the house gone or money in your pocket.

You said that you have not been able to finish the renovation project even though your father has money into it. If you never finish, the money he spent is gone anyhow. By using your tax savings and having the structure removed for free, you may come out way ahead.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #29  
Pops, the picture link posted by Moss Road is a building far far greater than 2200 square feet. Do you agree? It appears but inconclusive as to whether the brick walls are supported before moving. It also looks to be done by professionals.

If the property owner wants the land cleared quickly. Has 10 grand in it to throw in the wind and is not an issue. Well then by all means give it away or have it buried. Structurally sound homes that are moved off of development property in my area are sold and bought then moved to thier new owners property all the time. My above comments mearly was saying there is value to a structure in good shape which can be easily moved by professionals. Not by a dozier operator and building contractor who are clueless when it comes to properly moving a structure.

We can debate all day whether brick or no brick.. For a non professional trying to move a fully bricked home would be comical to watch. Maybe they don't sell houses that are moved in his area. Is that what your saying?

I will say companies that bid on demolition of residential homes will weigh the option of salvaging the house as a whole for resale before leveling it and hauled off. Let's try to stay on topic here. We are talking about a residential home on private property the owner wants to remove. How it's moved is entirely in the hands of who moves it for whatever reasons. I mearly added there is value to the structure that could be sold. Your milage may vary.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #30  
The same company that moved that large brick building in that thread that I linked to also has moved many houses in our area, some with partial brick. I agree, though, that it takes a professional to do it.
Pic-12.jpg