Selling a house to be moved.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #41  
All right folks, calm it down a bit. I think we can agree that in some places people pay for houses that have to get moved and some places they don't and leave it at that.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #42  
Hate to jump in here but, I too, am a contractor. International Building Codes are for the most part adopted in every city and county in the country that inspects. Lead testing is mandatory for anything built 1978 or prior NATIONWIDE!
The codes state all permits issued must meet current HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical and Structural building codes for renovations that the issuing governmental body has adopted. You move a house and get a building permit, you must meet code.
But-
All areas do not enforce building codes! Many rural counties do not have any inspections other than Septic system prior to final power connection. Even some small towns only require a business license. Renovating a old house 100% PLUS cost of moving is equal to or more than cost to build new. Unless the structure is historical or unique, it is not the best use of construction monies for the average person.

Just my :2cents: Nothing personal :drink:

/ Selling a house to be moved.
Thanks all for the comments and advice. Unfortunately it is a moot point now. I called the guy back on time as he asked and have never received a response. Just to clarify a few things. The guy is a grading contractor but was not planning on moving the house himself. He knows a local moving company so I assume he could have worked some kind of deal. I definately planned on consulting an attourney and getting everything agreed to on paper.

I have the house listed on Craigslist now. I am not looking to make a profit, just recoup "some" of the costs in it. Really for the price we pusrchased the land at we technically do not have a lot in it in the grand scheme of things. Unfortunately I have learned that the market for this is very small and the costs often outweight the benefits. We will just see what happens and then reevaluate.

Thanks again for the comments. Sorry this started a few arguements. It was definately not my intension.

Wade

/ Selling a house to be moved. #44  
Thanks for the update and no need to apologize.

Except for a few exceptions it has been an interesting thread.

Harry K

/ Selling a house to be moved. #45  
I wish you luck. You might consider moving it into town and selling.

Think about this - say you bought your lot and house for 100k and each is worth 50k. For tax purposes this sets basis at 50k on the house. It doesn't do you any good because it's not a business asset and you owe no capital gains on your primary residence when you sell.

Anyway, Say moving, purchasing a lot, pouring a foundation, remodeling, and selling costs you 80k. The house could be sold for $100k. Really it's a lot of work for $20k, maybe not worth it. But the basis of the house is at 130k now, so you get a $30k loss to offset earned income. Depending on your tax bracket that can be significant, maybe as much overall benefit as the cash you walked away with after the sale.

Talk to your tax guy about it, but that's about the numbers for me at my place and I plan on doing it the year after next. Remember, that's a $20k profit after not "paying" a dime for the house. Moving the house for me will cost $13k. Foundation 10k, lot 30k, and remainder remodeling.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #46  
I've read most of these, there is/was a program on HGTV called "Haulin House" and you'd be surprised at what is moved. The one thing that I'd wish they would do is give an approximate cost to move. Next time they start the re-runs I plan on recording as many as I can. As far as moving a brick house they did this in my area a few months ago. The house is set and people are moved in.

Wedge

/ Selling a house to be moved. #47  
Thanks all for the comments and advice. Unfortunately it is a moot point now. I called the guy back on time as he asked and have never received a response. Just to clarify a few things. The guy is a grading contractor but was not planning on moving the house himself. He knows a local moving company so I assume he could have worked some kind of deal. I definately planned on consulting an attourney and getting everything agreed to on paper.

I have the house listed on Craigslist now. I am not looking to make a profit, just recoup "some" of the costs in it. Really for the price we pusrchased the land at we technically do not have a lot in it in the grand scheme of things. Unfortunately I have learned that the market for this is very small and the costs often outweight the benefits. We will just see what happens and then reevaluate.

Thanks again for the comments. Sorry this started a few arguements. It was definately not my intension.

Wade
I hope things work out for both you and the contractor. Happy Holidays.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #48  
I looked into moving various old stick framed (timber framed) farm houses.... cost was $10-30K depending on size and distance to move and logistics involved in the move. all were 2-3 story.

I should think you could sell a house for 10K and still be marketable for the person that was going to do the moving.

/ Selling a house to be moved. #49  
Interesting thread as I have looked into moving a couple of houses, although nothing ever came of it.

Is there any possibility to carving a small lot out from around the house by subdividing it and then selling it, keeping the majority of the acreage for yourself? Seems that could be done for the cost of a survey and whatever fees required. You could then sell the house as is.

I guess if the house is dead center on the lot that may not be practical, but if doable might mean a way to make some money off it.

/ Selling a house to be moved.
Hi all,

Its a month into the new year and still have this thing. If anyone knows where else other than craigslist I can advertise this house please let me know. I will email the CL add if interested. Basically I will sale or trade the house and the sale price is basically best offer....

Thanks
Wade