Outdoor Temperature Sensor

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #1  

wjmst

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx2200
I have one of those outdoor temperature sensors that uses 2 AA batteries to wirelessly transmit the outdoor temperature to my indoor base unit. The problem I have is it eats through 2 AA batteries in about a month, rechargables about 3 weeks. I would like to convert this to AC. Is there some type of transformer I can purchase or make that I could connect up to it?

Or is there some other wireless temperature station that works better?

Thanks
Wes

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #2  
Odd, I have two of them. Haven't changed the batteries in one in two years (it is showing it needs it now). The other is a new 'weather station' - it has been cooking along on the same batteries for over 6 months now.

Harry K

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #3  
I have an oregon unit, and my outdoor transmitter is fine, but the indoor receiver/display will eat up 2 batteries in less than a month,
i think i need a new one. they used to last over a year. i think once an item starts eating batteries it's time to discard them

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #4  
I have a Davis station that has solar power. Any way to convert your regular AA to something solar? I know some of my cheapo yard lights are AA size, seems it might easy to convert from powering light to powering your temp unit.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #5  
i have a LA Crosse unit and only change batteries twice a year,even in sub zero weather.

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #6  
I have a Radio Shack indoor-outdoor unit, about 5 years old and the batteries at either end last over a year. Time for a new unit I think. Some of these support multiple remote units, you might be able to replace your outdoor sensor or switch to a the unused channel to see if that makes any difference.

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #7  
I use one made by Sky Scan. I bought it a few years back. It is also an atomic clock. The batteries in the receiver last a year or more and the batteries in the the outdoor thermometer/transmitter last about 10 months.
I'm really happy with it.
When the batteries do go out the re install is kind of complicated because the two devices have to synced, but other than that, it's a big asset around here. I can't imagine not having one now
Both units use 2 AA batteries.
Seems to me I paid around 25$ for it. The replacement transmitter is only 12$, although I've never replaced it.
Check their website

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #8  
I have a Davis station that has solar power. Any way to convert your regular AA to something solar? I know some of my cheapo yard lights are AA size, seems it might easy to convert from powering light to powering your temp unit.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Another one for the Davis. I had a series of cheapo units that ate batteries. Finally sucked up and bought a Vantage Vue station. Love it.

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #9  
I too have had the Sky Scan Atomic clock w/temp for about 15 years now - batteries have lasted as much as 2 years at a time but normally I change them about every 15 months - each unit uses 2 AA batteries. Yea, you have to let the receiver pick up the outdoor transmitter (temp) signal before you do any settings of the clock or it won't pick up the temp signal. That's why I always replace all the batteries at the same time and then just forget it. Usually takes just a minute or so for this. Then of course you can set the clock anyway you want and it will set itself that nite from the transmitter in Colorado to atomic clock time.

/ Outdoor Temperature Sensor #10  
I bought a cheap unit at the hardware store a couple of months ago under 20 bucks. It now is in the trash can, as it ate batts, and was not at all accurate. Will find a better one someday.