circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife
yep.. I use the belt sander vs the grinder whan making the hobby knife stuff.

the hatched style i'm refering to isn't really like the ones you see for chopping. mor elike the ones gerber sells as a small campin tool. IE.. most of the ones I see are 3/16 blades..e tc.

I do think it might make a good knife or skinning tool.

I was going thru a box of junk that came from my long deceased FIL estate. I got a big radial arm saw from him.. I just found a box o.. that had a stack of used blades in it.. some pretty thick ones. no rust.. but you can tell well used. I also have a table saw and have a few used blades from it.. plus the regular skill saw stuff. between the lot.. I probbaly got 20 assorted used blades to play with..

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife #12  
If you grind these blades keep them very cool. If you see color while grinding it's taking something away from the metal. Blue color is very close bad. Orange or yellow has forever destroyed the heat treat put into the metal.

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife #13  
Would a cir. saw blade be too hard to cut to shape on a metal cutting band saw?

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife #14  
I would think it would to be too hard on the blade. I think the edge on the blade form the circular saw close to the same hardness as the edge on the band saw. After the hardened edges are cut I think the band saw would cut through.

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife #15  
I've toyed around with making cutting instruments out of things like a RR spike.. etc.

have seen some make a knife from a file.. etc.

was thinking about using a circ saw blade for a knife or hand hatchet or skinning tool.. etc.

hows the metal ? work ok for that?

RR spike made me think of sculptures my uncle used to make with RR parts.

He made dachshunds and sold them at flea markets.

He took a 14-16" long piece of RR track for the body,
Weld a RR spike to each corner, with the heads down, so they look like legs and feet.
Weld a RR spike head to the rear of the track piece with the point up like a tail.
Weld a RR spike point to the front of the track piece with the head pointing up, tip down for snout.

Imaging that in your head and you can picture it pretty clearly. Pretty funny.

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife #16  
RR spike made me think of sculptures my uncle used to make with RR parts.

He made dachshunds and sold them at flea markets.

He took a 14-16" long piece of RR track for the body,
Weld a RR spike to each corner, with the heads down, so they look like legs and feet.
Weld a RR spike head to the rear of the track piece with the point up like a tail.
Weld a RR spike point to the front of the track piece with the head pointing up, tip down for snout.

Imaging that in your head and you can picture it pretty clearly. Pretty funny.

that must have weighed a ton! Isn't railroad track something like 80lb/ft? Wow...

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife #17  
Yeah, he sold them as door stops!

:laughing:

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife #18  
I have been on a knife making kick lately. Making them out of files, scraper(putty-knifes), and one out of a parting tool for the lathe.

As to the saw blade??? Im at work now, so when I get a second, I grab our circ-saw and check the hardness of the blade toward the middle just to let you know.

Most good knifes that you want to hold an edge are 57-62 Rc

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife #19  
Okay, not great news.

The blade I checked was a makita carbide tipped blade. I checked about 1" in from the teeth and it was only 43Rc.

The advice about keeping whatever you are working with cool is sound advice (for a soundguy :)) Dont let it change color. Have a bucket of water there and keep dunking it.

Also, if you have a buffer-wheel (kinda like a grinder but has softer buffing wheels), it makes quick work of sharpening and polishing. Once you establish the edge, and buff it with the fine buffer to as sharp as it will allow, a few strokes with a white ultra-fine arkansas stone, and about 20 strokes per side on a leather belt (straup) and it is sharp enough to shave.

Here are a few that I have done. One is a scraper/putty knife. its only 50Rc. The files are 58Rc. (if you have knife files they are already shaped. Just grind off the file teeth and shape the way you want. Saves a ton of time) The parting tool was 62Rc

knives.jpg

/ circ saw blade as hand hatchet head or knife
neat pics, thanks!