old farm equipment ID

/ old farm equipment ID #1  

kinglake

Bronze Member
This what appears to be tank has been in the woods at my families land for as long as I can remember. I have always wondered what it is from. It was assembled with rivets instead of welds which I find odd if truly a tank. It also has what appears to be a baffle of some sort in the middle. Any ideas what this is and what it could have come off of?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

/ old farm equipment ID #2  
Home made feed trough?

mark

/ old farm equipment ID #3  
Might be an old orchard sprayer tank

/ old farm equipment ID #4  
If it's of 20's or 30's vintage, the rivets might just be the technology of the time. Looks like the opening has been cut with a cutting torch; I'm guessing that's the bottom. If it's a fuel tank or some such, there might be a fill spout on the underside.

/ old farm equipment ID #5  
Any reason why it cannot be a livestock drinker? The short end could have had a ball float in (with the top covered) and the water moved through to the drinking part through the holes in the baffle.

/ old farm equipment ID
Yes, the two openings were torched out to use the piece as a water trough. The top in the picture was originally completely solid with no openings. Based on the metal "straps" on the sides, I think the flat side was the "bottom" on whatever it used to be.

/ old farm equipment ID
Thanks bcp, that looks very similar. Mine is only around 12 foot long, so not off a train, but that gives me a great direction to start researching. Thanks very much.

/ old farm equipment ID #9  
In the third picture there looks to be a "tube plate" across the end of the tank and something outside of that. Itlooks to me, to be part of a low pressure steam boiler of some sort - maybe a heater. It sure doesn't look like a fuel tank - though I have been known to be wrong on many occasions. Anyway, there are a lot of things it might have been.
Cheers