Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Default Re: Christmas Trees

Fake on the inside. The real stuff is a PITA with two dogs and 5 cats plus the wife is deathly afraid of fire. However, outdoors we use all natural stuff on the gates, fences and barn.

Like lots of folks our age, we used real trees for many years, but not in the last 20 years. In fact, we used the same artificial tree for a lot of years, but I bought the wife a new one this year.
    Bird

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

As a forester there will never be a FAKE tree in my house, at least for any of the 2 main trees that we put up!! And i encourage every one to buy a real tree and support the biz.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by unbidden View Post
    Fake on the inside. The real stuff is a PITA with two dogs and 5 cats plus the wife is deathly afraid of fire. However, outdoors we use all natural stuff on the gates, fences and barn.
    We have 8 cats, the two newest ones its thier first cristmas, and we finially have 2 that will climb the tree all the way to the top! Lucky us? So one has nothing but lights on it, the other will be isolated from them.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

I've been using a Christmas Branch for years. If the family is in town SWMBO usually gets a tree. When we first moved in about 30 years ago I bought and later planted a balled and burlapped one that "did good". It's about 35' tall now.

For years it's needed it's lower branches pruned. So normally about 1 December I go out with my chainsaw and wack off a limb. It get's the pine needle scent inside, only needs light trimming and is easy to maintain and dispose of.

My neighbors must have thought I was going to cut the tree down last year. I needed to run my Stihl 660 that had a 42" bar on it. So I cranked it up, let it warm up, and took all 42 inches to cut a branch about 2" in diameter
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

Fake now, even planted a couple of rows of trees for this use over the years. Now the ones I planted are way to big, love the smell, but the fire hazard and mess made me go to the fake one 6-7 years ago. For smell, I just cut some branches and the wife makes a large wreath out of them.
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

No fake tree for us! I have never seen a sap problem other than the base where the cut is and you aren't dealing with that end. As far as the needles, a good fresh and well watered tree has a minimal problem. after Christmas day, we use a sheet laid on the floor, then lay the tree on it and carry it out, no mess.

The smell and ambiance of a real tree is far worth it for us.
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Real tree here... but it's just the dog and me so ours is outside growing by the road.
    Every year it gets a little taller, so when I put the lights on I have a pole to reach the top. A little suet for the birds
    and it's done.

Tractor
    John Deere 790, 420, 314, "L/60" Custom & 70 I

Wife & I both grew up using wild Red Cedars. After we were married, we started buying White Pines from local tree farms (cut your own). I planted some for Christmas tree use, used some of them, then, one year it got too dry to have them inside. I talked the wife into getting a fake, used it every since.

We do have a Pine out front we decorate every year:

-hpim2534-custom-jpg

Lights didn't show up very well:

-hpim2537-custom-jpg

grnspot

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Also, seeing a neighbors house burn down about 10 years ago....from his xmas tree going up.... was enough to send me to Lowes for my tree.

it depends on the kind of tree also. were mostly pines and firs here in N Idaho. Only a nutter would cut down a blue spruce that took 10 years to grow for an xmas tree ... I planted 12 blue spruces 10 years ago...there now only 10 feet tall. those things take FOREVER to grow here.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast