Old Holiday traditions or memories

/ Old Holiday traditions or memories #1  

Soggy Bottom Outdoors

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 john deere 5075E and others
I asked my Dad what he remembers most about his Christmas's as a child growing up a traditional Ky cattle and tobacco farm. He thought for a minute and said "The food." He went on to say that around the holidays is the only time of the year they(his brothers and sisters) saw coconuts, pineapples, oranges, tangerines, tangelos?, almonds, pecans, pistachios, English walnuts, Brazil nuts, and peanuts. And it was about the only time certain candy was made like divinity, fudge, peanut butter fudge,peanut brittle and countless cakes, pies and cookies. My Grandpaw was a Union painter in Louisville for many years and seasonal fruit baskets were common during the holidays. Also decorative decanters of "Christmas Cheer" were also common but Grandpaw and Grandmaw were strong Methodist and the contents poured out but the containers collected. One tradition in my church is to give out a paper sack full of treats after the childrens Christmas play. It usually contained a apple or orange, a big one, peanuts, candy (usually peppermint or butterscotch) and a piece or two of chocolate. Young or old, member or not, in good times and bad everyone got one. I'm interested in some of your family traditions around the country.

/ Old Holiday traditions or memories #2  
Christmas morning... Getting up before light, because the rule was that we had to complete the milking before we could see what Santa brought. Milking in the cold, and hearing my Dad talk about what happened in a different and smaller barn 2,000 years ago. Getting back to the house, straining the milk and putting it in the spring-house trough to keep cool until my Mom needed it.

Waiting with my siblings at the door to the living room until my Dad went in and turned on the Christmas tree lights.

Christmas was a time of the family gathering at our big old house, of gifts (the best came from city aunts and uncles - Santa had little money), of talking, games and laughing.

I tried to make Christmas as memorable for my own kids, and I think I did pretty well. I've heard them sharing their Christmas memories with their own kids. So it goes on...

/ Old Holiday traditions or memories #3  
DKCDKC said:
Christmas morning... Getting up before light, because the rule was that we had to complete the milking before we could see what Santa brought. Milking in the cold, and hearing my Dad talk about what happened in a different and smaller barn 2,000 years ago. Getting back to the house, straining the milk and putting it in the spring-house trough to keep cool until my Mom needed it.

Waiting with my siblings at the door to the living room until my Dad went in and turned on the Christmas tree lights.

Christmas was a time of the family gathering at our big old house, of gifts (the best came from city aunts and uncles - Santa had little money), of talking, games and laughing.

I tried to make Christmas as memorable for my own kids, and I think I did pretty well. I've heard them sharing their Christmas memories with their own kids. So it goes on...

That's good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

/ Old Holiday traditions or memories #4  
Soggy, didn't mean to leave yours out. It's good also.