Growing Peaches in Alabama

/ Growing Peaches in Alabama #1  

yellowyj

Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST
I bought a new house last fall and I have four peach trees, a pear tree, a cherry tree, an apple tree, and some pecan trees in the yard. None of them have been taken care of properly. I stuck it out this year so I could identify what types of trees I have. Now I need to know what to do with them. They all produced fruit this year, but it was all ruined by bugs, fungus or rotting. I am new to the fruit tree scene, so any advice would be helpful. I have not yet determined what specific types of each tree I have. I am located in Northern/Central Alabama in Western Blounty County.

Any help would be appreciated. I am really interested in the peaches. They are our favorite fruit!

/ Growing Peaches in Alabama #2  
I sure hope someone with some experience will offer advice to your question. We just bought a place in W. Georgia that has some apple and pear trees that need help. I'll keep watching, there is always someone here with good advice.

MarkV

/ Growing Peaches in Alabama #3  
We have 2 peach trees (our favorite fruit also). The hardest thing for me is knocking off enough peaches when they first start to form too insure they develop to a good size. I prefer large juicy peaches not small ones and the tree can only develop a certin quantity of peaches to their fullest potential.

Our biggest problem is the darn birds. I built PVC pipe frames that I support with rebar and suspend netting over the trees to keep them away from my crop. Easy to set up when they start getting close to ripe and remove after the last one is picked.
So far have not had an insect problem. Knock on wood. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Hope this info helps. I'm not very knowledgeable about fruit trees just love fresh tree ripened fruit. Good luck with your trees. Oh yeah I trim the trees in the winter and fertilize in early spring (Feb. in the southern arizona desert) Your early sping is of course later than ours.
Try your county extension office, they may have some free publications on fruit trees that would give better information for your area.

/ Growing Peaches in Alabama #4  
Get in touch with your county extension office. It may be in the phone book under Farm Services Agency or USDA. They can put you onto the proper sprays to use for insects, fungus, etc.
I'm no pro on cherry trees or apples, and our pear trees always seemed to thrive on neglect /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Peach trees do take some care, though. They bear on new growth so they should be pruned this fall. I've seen some larger growers in Chilton Co. starting their pruing now, as soon as the trees stop bearing.
There are numerous pests that can infest peach trees. You'll want to be ready to start spraying after pruning and that may be a weekly chore; just keep a close eye out for fungus and insects

Check out the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service for info on just about everything garden related. Here is their info on spraying fruit trees .

Just a hint if you've never sprayed your own garden; get two sprayers, one for pesticide only and one for herbicide only. Few things can ruin your day more than getting Roundup on your new fruit trees.

/ Growing Peaches in Alabama
Thanks for the great links and the good advice. I will have to get busy so I can have fresh fruit next year. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Growing Peaches in Alabama #6  
Howdy Neighbor, Great question...I been meaning to ask it my self...I live on Straight Mtn over behind Bennedicts and Highland Lake in Blount county sice 2001.

I have what they tell me is a peach tree or 2 but the fruit is some what small and so many its been kinda hard to tell and maybe a plum tree(GREEN) or 2 and I had no idea about prunning to get the new growth I've just pruned it to keep it easy to mow around.Birds are my biggest problem even with 3 cats...Maybe I'll plant some catnip under those trees.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks all