Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #101  
You've got all that pretty much correct. We had a few fights with the aboriginals but they were pretty one sided affairs.

The big differences perhaps are that we never had a history of carrying handguns, and never had a significant gun manufacturing industry. (As far as I can remember handguns had been banned long before our gun buyback.).

Theres plenty of rifles floating around over here but not many handguns or assault style weapons to get into the hands of maniacs who want to go on a killing spree. Of course criminal groups will get hold of illegal weapons but they tend to use them on each other.

I've had a couple of altercations with antisocial types in the last 12 months but thankfully I never expected to suddenly have a pistol pointed at my chest. That must be a very scary feeling.

Last edited:
   / Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #102  
This http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/01/bessemer_police_arrest_2_in_ca.html & this Lawmen throw the book at suspects who led Jefferson County sheriff's deputies on chase | al.com is why law abiding citizens (here)need guns. Because all the thugs here have them. This is only 2 that I posted, There are many more .If the victims in these 2 instances would have been armed, It may have turned out very differently for these suspects. Now, they will serve a small amount of jail time & be back on the streets doing the same thing

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #103  
Local store owner had been robbed multiple times until yesterday 2 guys (17yr old & 18yr old) came in waiving guns and firing rounds into the ceiling demanded money. the owner and his worker both opened fire on them wounding both. they ran but were caught at 2 different hospitals seeking help for their wounds. The same neighborhood had multiple roberies and one of the clerks were beaten and another was shot. the Owner of the shop armed himself and helped his clerks get CCP (Concealed Carry Permits) :D seems the YOUTH learned who NOT to rob/;)

Mark

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #104  
The one thing that would worry as a parent is the thought of armed security guards at schools becoming involved with some crazy with a rifle resulting in a fire fight in school grounds.

Oh yes. The safer thing to do would be for everyone just to stay put, don't put up any sort of a fight. Its much safer to only allow the bad guy to shoot. Now lets all be good victims.

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #105  
There have been some very articulate and thoughtful comments and replies in this thread. (on a sensitive topic). In particular, I would like to call out hchxoom's post (post#13) link here. It is well worth reading as he hits the nail on the head.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/267124-could-aussie-tell-us-how-2.html#post3129556

I would also like to add, that liberties are not something that we should relinquish without a serious fight. With much of the posts being about what is 'needed' for the greater social good, how far does this go? Think about the things that could be restricted with good cause by a government for the 'social good':
- Perhaps I should not be allowed to drink Coca Cola because there have been found to be no health benefits, and its consumption has been found to cause greater healthcare costs.
- Automobile ownership should be no longer allowed by private citizens. Public transportation is much safer, prevents deaths, DUI's, and is adequate means and we are improving it every day. Besides, dependence on foreign oil is a matter of national security.
- Land ownership by private individuals should be restricted to less than .5 acre. Exceptions to this are only for government approved agricultural employees. Land is a precious natural resource that must be preserved for industry and agriculture. Private estates are a matter of excess and this wasted land must be reclaimed by the government. (lets call it imminent domain)
These might seem like far-fetched examples, but in the example of Automobiles... why should ordinary citizens be allowed to drive cars outside of pure transportation? Automobile accidents kill many more children each year than firearms do. Especially evil race cars that are 'racing sport' in design.

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #106  
There have been some very articulate and thoughtful comments and replies in this thread. (on a sensitive topic). In particular, I would like to call out hchxoom's post (post#13) link here. It is well worth reading as he hits the nail on the head.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/267124-could-aussie-tell-us-how-2.html#post3129556

I would also like to add, that liberties are not something that we should relinquish without a serious fight. With much of the posts being about what is 'needed' for the greater social good, how far does this go? Think about the things that could be restricted with good cause by a government for the 'social good':...

Good post, Pancho...I think your link to hchxoom's post is wrong though.

Here's one for the anti-rights bigots:
Feinstein's bill want to ban rifles with a pistol grip...what does that have to do with safety?

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #107  
Good post, Pancho...I think your link to hchxoom's post is wrong though.

Here's one for the anti-rights bigots:
Feinstein's bill want to ban rifles with a pistol grip...what does that have to do with safety?

Hey Roy. Is my keltec su 16 included in that tramps bill?

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #108  
Hey Roy. Is my keltec su 16 included in that tramps bill?

Not sure...but it's more extensive then her 1994 version.
There supposed to be a complete text of the bill on her website.

However, if your Kel-Tec has a detachable magazine, pistol grip and holds more then 10 rounds in the mag, I'd wager it is included in the bill.

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #109  
Herman: Guns, rights and acceptable levels of death | www.statesman.com

As I said many times, right now all this gun control stuff is being fueled by emotions, not intellect. A lot of this country's problems right now are/were caused by legislation or programs designed with more emotional then intellectual thought.

The article above mentions that way more people are killed in auto accidents, but because they didn't all happen at once, they're considered acceptable levels of death, same with alcohol related deaths, since it only happens one or two at a time, they're "acceptable"

And as he says, the overwhelming majority of firearms in this country have never been used illegally, but because lawmakers and public figures are playing with the public's emotions right now, they want to restrict the rights of a large number of law abiding citizens because of the actions of a few criminals.

Don't blame the gun, blame the shooter

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #110  
Don't blame the gun, blame the shooter

In this case I blame the shooter and the GUN OWNER. The mother knew someone within mental issues could possibly have access to her weapons. They should have been stored at the range or locked up in a gun SAFE. She got the death penalty for her mistake.

The problem with guns are not the rightful owner generally, it is that they can fall in the wrong hands. IMO guns should locked in a gun safe when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.