Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
My understanding is that they only got the handguns. Took them out in the ocean and dumped them into the water. Did they get registered and non registered guns? Did they show up at your house and demand them? Did they pay market value for them? Just curious for now. Ken Sweet

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #2  
   / Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #3  
New York did the same thing years ago, a loaded barge out to sea dumping vast amounts of guns. One of the last times I was in Hobart, there was a mass shooting in the area. Many killed.

mark

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #4  
As a local effected by the gun buy back, I will give my recollection though it is fading after 25+ years.

I have a small farm so had a Ruger 10/20 and an air rifle. After the Port arthur incident the whole licensing issue was tightened and the buy back instigated. Prior to the event each state had its own regulations. West Australia (my home) had the strictest. Each firearm is registered to a person to use. I cannot lent my rifle to another licensed person unless the particular rifle is listed on their license. It is slightly different for farmers as the farmer can let a worker use the rifle for farm purposes.

The other states had much less strict rules that allowed that a person simply got a shooters license and could hold and use what ever they wanted. This meant that no one knew what firearms where around.

After the incident, the rules were unified to those like WA with an addition that firearms needed to be stored in a safe.

At the same time there was a buyback scheme put in place, This allowed anyone to hand in any type of firearm, no questions asked. I think the amount was fixed (I think there may have been a claim for more for a more valuable firearm). There were no doors kicked in. The classes of licenses allowed different types of firearm. Automatics are forbidden. Semi automatics are permitted for primary industry purposes. If you had a semi auto and no farm, you had to hand it in.

It is still possible to get a license as long as you have somewhere that you allowed to shoot on. Firearm licenses are not issued for self defence purposes.

Weedpharma

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns?
As a local effected by the gun buy back, I will give my recollection though it is fading after 25+ years.

I have a small farm so had a Ruger 10/20 and an air rifle. After the Port arthur incident the whole licensing issue was tightened and the buy back instigated. Prior to the event each state had its own regulations. West Australia (my home) had the strictest. Each firearm is registered to a person to use. I cannot lent my rifle to another licensed person unless the particular rifle is listed on their license. It is slightly different for farmers as the farmer can let a worker use the rifle for farm purposes.

The other states had much less strict rules that allowed that a person simply got a shooters license and could hold and use what ever they wanted. This meant that no one knew what firearms where around.

After the incident, the rules were unified to those like WA with an addition that firearms needed to be stored in a safe.

At the same time there was a buyback scheme put in place, This allowed anyone to hand in any type of firearm, no questions asked. I think the amount was fixed (I think there may have been a claim for more for a more valuable firearm). There were no doors kicked in. The classes of licenses allowed different types of firearm. Automatics are forbidden. Semi automatics are permitted for primary industry purposes. If you had a semi auto and no farm, you had to hand it in.

It is still possible to get a license as long as you have somewhere that you allowed to shoot on. Firearm licenses are not issued for self defence purposes.

Weedpharma

Thanks for the first hand explanation. How has the crime rates with guns trended in the last 25 years? Ken Sweet

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #7  
It will work out as a money grab of some sort in the Governments favor. Pay a registration fee for every gun you own and increase the payment every year until you can't afford to own them...Murder rates will keep going up with the unregistered guns with serial numbers obliterated... JMOP

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #8  
How has the crime rates with guns trended in the last 25 years? Ken Sweet

Australian Institute of Criminology - Statistics Only has stats for 1995-2007

Homicide with guns is down but homicide with knives is up:

weapon_trends.png

Assault is up:

fig016.png

Robbery peaked and then came down to slightly higher than the level before.

fig019.png

Rape is up:

fig018.png

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #9  
Actually maths maths is a little out as it is actually 15yrs +.

If you look at the graphs above, (as I have said in another thread) the rate of other crime may have increased but they do not show prior to the buyback. Therefore it is not reasonable to blame the reduction in firearms.

The number of gun crimes figure is not known to me, as an everyday thing, guns are not an issue. Yes there are gun crimes but we do not have a situation that we expect to be attacked by a gun wielding bandit. Some may say that being attacked by a knife or baseball bat bandit is just as bad so you need a gun to protect yourself. We have a different attitude.

I am very much in favour of less guns in everyday hands as this vastly reduces the possibility of miscreants getting hold of guns. They have to go underground to get a gun rather than break into any home and pick one up. We will never be able to stop guns being used in crimes but as the crook is less likely to be shot, they are less likely to resort to guns as their threat of choice. A crook expecting to be shot will make sure they have something to shoot back.

My grandkids can safely go to school without the likelyhood of being shot. They are also unlikely to get hold of a gun lying around and shooting each other or themselves. I am not anti firearms. I will take my grandkids to the farm and teach them to shoot cans when they are old enough (teenagers). I am against the idea that one has to have a gun for protection and it can be whatever size and as fast as possible.

After the Port Arthur incident, there was huge public support for tighter laws. We did not see it as a reduction of liberty but an increase in safety. Even now there is no call to relax laws in case there is a school shooting. There is no need as it is very improbable. And we sleep soundly at night not worrying about being shot.

Weedpharma

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #10  
Thanks for the first hand explanation. How has the crime rates with guns trended in the last 25 years? Ken Sweet

In the years before the gun buy back ( not seizure) there were numerous mass murders by gun fire.............since the buy back there has not been one.

But there is a huge difference in public attitudes about guns. Here I am the only one of my close friends with a gun (bolt action rifle and single barrel shotgun) I use them to try and control rabbits in my vineyard. If you asked my friends if they want to buy a gun they would think you crazy.....Why would anyone want to own a gun what possible use could you put it to??
Not saying this is better or worse than in the USA just stating a fact.
Would an Australian type buy back scheme work in the USA......I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.