What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou #1  

Lou66

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 990/Montana 5740
Well this was one of those bitter sweet Christmas,, All the family showed up on Christmas day. around thirty,. we had a excellence dinner,, exchanged gifts,, had a real nice time setting around talking and laughting..
Then I when over to the land where I keep my equipment, tractors, balers, cutters, electrical underground #6 copper wire that runs from the street to the barn (700 feet times 3=) 2100 feet,,
I was little pizzed at first because I had just replaced the lighting inside the barn and I thought the lights had all burned out at once,, boy was I relieved when I traced it back and found someazz holes stole all the underground wiring.. plus the 400 ft left on the spool.. that was setting on a table in back on the barn next to the switch gear..police was called the report was filed,, now I guess I can add another item to my wish list.. Lou

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou #2  
Go up one gauge and use aluminum. It's 1/3 to 1/4 the cost.

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou #3  
found someazz holes stole all the underground wiring.. plus the 400 ft left on the spool..

you mean they pulled 700 ft of cable out of the conduit... after cutting live connections, I'm assuming.?
that takes balls... not many brains, mind you...how are we supposed to guard against this kind of criminal activity ?

Pete

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou #4  
I had a friend of mine forward a photo of what was left of two guy's stealing wire from a main distributor trunk. Very hard to tell that there was two people in those photo's all melted up.

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou
you mean they pulled 700 ft of cable out of the conduit... after cutting live connections, I'm assuming.?
that takes balls... not many brains, mind you...how are we supposed to guard against this kind of criminal activity ?Pete

yep.. they cut it at the power pole I have my own pole about 200 feet from the road,, then it drops down under ground into rigid conduit for about 700 feet before it comes back up at the barn.. they pulled up about 50 foot of conduit,, cut it loose at the barn and pulled it out of the conduit.. they had to use a truck or car.. no one saw anything.. they did the same thing at a local church.. Lou

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou #6  
This is why I used Alum. wire at my rual property

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou #7  
If they can sell it for enough to get one more hit of meth or crack they will take it.

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou #8  
Bright copper right now is selling for over $3 bucks a pound around here. That is a few hits for the tweakers.

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou #9  
Dang...A real bummer...sorry to tell you that statistics are that once you've been hit it is likely you will be hit again within a year, most likely within 3 months...either by same people or someone they told about it. Maybe install an invisible game camera?

/ What does Copper wire sell for?... Lou
Will be going back with 2/2/2/4 alum. wiring,, two 60 amps breaker at 120 volts,, 700 ft. also having concrete poured for about 20 feet on the conduit at the service pole and where it comes up at the barn.. rigid conduit at the service pole and barn in and out of ground,, locks on both switch boxes.. plus installing lights at both service points.. plus land mines..lol.. about seven thousands dollars in damage plus rework.. I am thinking if they are going to steal from me make them work for it.. Lou