Using twine for telemetry

/ Using twine for telemetry
I read this thread and the link a few days ago. It was interesting and I was thinking there was a way for me to use TWINE but I could not remember what I would do with the device. :confused3::D:D:D

A few days later, I remembered. :laughing::laughing::laughing: It would be interesting to know the temperature in the well house. I looked TWINE up on Amazon and a review mentioned Raspberry Pi, Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!, which is a small, cheap, but powerful PC. The problem with Rasberry is that one would have to do the work to setup the programming and sensor. It seems pretty powerful and cheap.

Later,
Dan

There is some pretty neat low cost hardware about these days. I caught up with an old college buddy of mine this Fall, and he is using something like Pi at home, for what I'll call a first stage firewall on one section of his network. For somebody like my friend, it is child's play to program something like this (one of the top 5 smartest bears I've known), does it in his sleep as recreation.

For the rest of us, having a relatively turnkey Sensor To Your Email account product, is worth quite a few dollars, IMO.

IF their software is actually that easy/good/bulletproof ! TBD.

Rgds, D.

/ Using twine for telemetry #12  
There is some pretty neat low cost hardware about these days. I caught up with an old college buddy of mine this Fall, and he is using something like Pi at home, for what I'll call a first stage firewall on one section of his network. For somebody like my friend, it is child's play to program something like this (one of the top 5 smartest bears I've known), does it in his sleep as recreation.

For the rest of us, having a relatively turnkey Sensor To Your Email account product, is worth quite a few dollars, IMO.

IF their software is actually that easy/good/bulletproof ! TBD.

Rgds, D.

Agreed. I could program what I wanted but I surely do not have the time. Flip side is that there might be a market for programming on low cost devices. Tis amazing that for less than $100 one can buy a pretty powerful computer that performance wise only a few years ago would have cost thousands of dollars.

I will admit that when I saw this thread pop up I thought of cups and twine. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Using twine for telemetry #13  
Agreed. I could program what I wanted but I surely do not have the time. Flip side is that there might be a market for programming on low cost devices. Tis amazing that for less than $100 one can buy a pretty powerful computer that performance wise only a few years ago would have cost thousands of dollars.

I will admit that when I saw this thread pop up I thought of cups and twine. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

My J.D.4520 has a twine in fuel tank.Can fill to the top and hit a bump and get a reading of "low fuel" than have to turn off ignition to clear and then read the dash information.
Nothing like modern electronics in the tractor design.
ken

/ Using twine for telemetry #14  
I looked TWINE up on Amazon and a review mentioned Raspberry Pi, Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!, which is a small, cheap, but powerful PC. The problem with Rasberry is that one would have to do the work to setup the programming and sensor. It seems pretty powerful and cheap.

Later,
Dan

I have a Pi and I'm impressed with it although I have not had much time to play.
What I have done is tryout other people's ports and some are pretty good.
RasPBMC (XBMC) worked great. Debian was sluggish.
The Pi makes a good controller or light server. As a PC, it's under powered.
Check out Arduino for your temp monitoring project. It's made for that sort of application.

/ Using twine for telemetry #15  
Check out Arduino for your temp monitoring project. It's made for that sort of application.

THANKS for that name. I remembered reading about Arduino years ago but could not remember the name.

Later,
Dan

My J.D.4520 has a twine in fuel tank.Can fill to the top and hit a bump and get a reading of "low fuel" than have to turn off ignition to clear and then read the dash information.
Nothing like modern electronics in the tractor design.
ken

I was driving by a JD dealer west of me, early last Spring. Their sign said "Be sure to come in for your Spring software updates". Not on my watch ! Some things I like technology for, my tractor is not one of 'em !

I get p/o'd having to charge my cell phone - part of why I've refused a smart phone so far. Not big on having to haul around a 10,000#+ computer.

Not picking on JayDee, I expect that all modern tractors will be much the same. If I had to make today's commercial farm (1,000s of acres) work, I guess I'd be stuck with at least a few of the new geeked out tractors.

Must suck though, having to CtrlAltDel a 400hp diesel !

Rgds, D.

/ Using twine for telemetry #17  
I was driving by a JD dealer west of me, early last Spring. Their sign said "Be sure to come in for your Spring software updates". Not on my watch ! Some things I like technology for, my tractor is not one of 'em !

I get p/o'd having to charge my cell phone - part of why I've refused a smart phone so far. Not big on having to haul around a 10,000#+ computer.

Not picking on JayDee, I expect that all modern tractors will be much the same. If I had to make today's commercial farm (1,000s of acres) work, I guess I'd be stuck with at least a few of the new geeked out tractors.

Must suck though, having to CtrlAltDel a 400hp diesel !

Rgds, D.
I think it all started when the low oil pressure switch and high water temp. guage was invented.
so engine could be protected,
But now to have "error number????" displayed so have to quit doing work and return to shop where book is kept read the code to find the left turn bulb failed. go back to tractor remove the 2 bolts and wiggle the bulb and all good again. Think gone to far.
Who cares that I never used the turn signal using the bush hog. in a briar patch.
But some top Co. manager had a son just out of college and had to find him a life long job. in the business.
Now maybe a tire presure checker. Some where was mentioned. Yesterday in the rain and before daylight started the tractor went to a large pile of mulch and sand filled bucket and was returning to the corral and front tire slipped off the rim. lifted the front with FWL. removed the lugs rolled to shop put tire back on rim greased the tire rim with the green stop leak and poured 1/2 bottle in tire and then aired it up.put back on the tractor. in the afternoon the pressure has held steady. Just maybe would like to of been warned ahead of the flat.
Also use a paint stick for 5 gal.bucket of paint as my reliable fuel level guage. remove fuel cap stick into the tank have marked how many gal. the real level is. CtrlAlt Del some times refered to as Kludge.it.
ken

I think it all started when the low oil pressure switch and high water temp. guage was invented.
so engine could be protected,
But now to have "error number????" displayed so have to quit doing work and return to shop where book is kept read the code to find the left turn bulb failed. go back to tractor remove the 2 bolts and wiggle the bulb and all good again. Think gone to far.
Who cares that I never used the turn signal using the bush hog. in a briar patch.
But some top Co. manager had a son just out of college and had to find him a life long job. in the business.
Now maybe a tire presure checker. Some where was mentioned. Yesterday in the rain and before daylight started the tractor went to a large pile of mulch and sand filled bucket and was returning to the corral and front tire slipped off the rim. lifted the front with FWL. removed the lugs rolled to shop put tire back on rim greased the tire rim with the green stop leak and poured 1/2 bottle in tire and then aired it up.put back on the tractor. in the afternoon the pressure has held steady. Just maybe would like to of been warned ahead of the flat.
Also use a paint stick for 5 gal.bucket of paint as my reliable fuel level guage. remove fuel cap stick into the tank have marked how many gal. the real level is. CtrlAlt Del some times refered to as Kludge.it.
ken

I think pilots are still on the hook for verifying fuel tanks. Learned that at a young age - An Air Canada pilot landed a plane on a dragstrip - we converted to metric at the time, and the ground crew mixed up gallons and litres, so the captain (the one responsible) had taken on about 1/4 of the fuel needed.

A measuring stick has reasonable accuracy, and a low failure rate. That's what they still use at gas stations, for many of the same reasons.

Like Thoreau said - Simplify (x3).

I've had an oil pressure sensor fail on a car - glad the engine 'puter wasn't "smart" enough to shut down - would have been a long walk.

Agreed, TPMS are one of the few recent consumer technologies that I find meaningful. Obvious safety issue there, even with slow moving equipment there are bad spots to slip a tire off a rim (sidehill, loaded FEL in the air....). Some TP sensor designs are better than others - a few you can replace a leaking valve stem on it's own, others you are $100+ a whack just to fix a leaky valve stem.

Some people start ignoring them when the tires are rotated, and the sensors aren't reprogrammed. Indicates wrong position, on systems that report location.

Picked up my first travel trailer last year, will likely get a good aftermarket TPMS for that once the budget allows. Peace of mind on a long trip.

That said, the same people that drive a vehicle till it literally grinds to a halt will be driving with 3psi reading on the in cab TPMS display. :rolleyes:

Turn signal - hadn't heard that one b4 on off-road equipment. Lawyer driven I expect, that way the equipment OEM is covered for a road accident (not joking).

Caught up with an old school buddy of mine a few years back - he works as an Ag Engineer. Talking tech nonsense with him - he was talking about a friends newest mega tractor. Turns out they spent half the time on the phone that summer trying to program it. They were calling their 13 y/o son who was away at camp - he was the only one who could figure it out !

Treating a $500k piece of equipment as a GameBoy maybe is the right approach, but would scare the heck out of me if I was the one who paid for it ! :eek:

:rolleyes: Rgds, D.

/ Using twine for telemetry #19  
I think pilots are still on the hook for verifying fuel tanks. Learned that at a young age - An Air Canada pilot landed a plane on a dragstrip - we converted to metric at the time, and the ground crew mixed up gallons and litres, so the captain (the one responsible) had taken on about 1/4 of the fuel needed.
I lived near the Ottawa airport and had some AC friends, pilots and ground crew. The Gimli glider came up in conversation once. The fellow I was talking too got a "thank god I wasn't there" look in his eye as he gave a bit of insight.
Redundant fuel monitoring system was offline due to problems. In this state the plane should have been grounded. Instead, manual metric/imperial calculations were concocted (by the flight and ground crew) to figure out litres, gallons, pounds, killograms and the dip stick. They messed up. You're right, the pilot is responsible. He was disciplined, but subsequently given awards for landing the plane. The ground crew, one person in particular we're crucified.

I lived near the Ottawa airport and had some AC friends, pilots and ground crew. The Gimli glider came up in conversation once. The fellow I was talking too got a "thank god I wasn't there" look in his eye as he gave a bit of insight.
Redundant fuel monitoring system was offline due to problems. In this state the plane should have been grounded. Instead, manual metric/imperial calculations were concocted (by the flight and ground crew) to figure out litres, gallons, pounds, killograms and the dip stick. They messed up. You're right, the pilot is responsible. He was disciplined, but subsequently given awards for landing the plane. The ground crew, one person in particular we're crucified.

I can be kinda tough on the basics - any field. You'd think this would be Ground School stuff, no more than a 201 course.... Just in case.....

Maclean's had a great article on too much aviation tech turning off pilot's common sense circuits, I've posted it in another thread...... Could happen to 400hp tractor jockeys too !

Rgds, D.