? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride???

/ ? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride??? #1  

Stimw

Elite Member
When us old farts talk about the good old days that are lost FOREVER that is one of the fond memories!!
Back in the 60's, early 70's if you needed a ride somewhere you would offer a friend $1.00 for gas. BUT gas was $.25-30 a gallon so do the math, after giving them a ride you will have some gas left!! A long ride was $2. or even FILL THE TANK!!! Less than $5.00.
Or how about a walk in Theater, $.25 to get in for Sunday afternoon. (saw the John Wayne type classic movies for that price!)
Drive-in Movies would have Dollar a carload on week nights! Stuff everybody in the car, when you got there many would go sit in the seats by the concession stand.

Start talking to the old folks in your life and you will get many, many true stories about how great times really were.

/ ? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride??? #2  
When us old farts talk about the good old days that are lost FOREVER that is one of the fond memories!!
Back in the 60's, early 70's if you needed a ride somewhere you would offer a friend $1.00 for gas. BUT gas was $.25-30 a gallon so do the math, after giving them a ride you will have some gas left!! A long ride was $2. or even FILL THE TANK!!! Less than $5.00.
Or how about a walk in Theater, $.25 to get in for Sunday afternoon. (saw the John Wayne type classic movies for that price!)
Drive-in Movies would have Dollar a carload on week nights! Stuff everybody in the car, when you got there many would go sit in the seats by the concession stand.

Start talking to the old folks in your life and you will get many, many true stories about how great times really were.

Yep those prices were nice back then....but then it was just as hard to come up with that $1 as it is a $20 nowadays. My first real paid job was dawn to dusk working summerfallow Mon-Sat a for booming $42 a week. That was in 1951.

Harry K

/ ? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride??? #3  
a dollar for me (depending on what I am driving) would get me between 4-8 miles. I don't drive to many places for anyone except very close friends/family. Even then, I don't think they (as with most people) really have a concept of how much it is costing me to "help" them. I am obviously not quite as old as you- no offense, but I can only remember back to gas being about 95 cents- and I was even old enough to drive at the time. If I had to guess, I would say that was around 1995?

It's funny to hear this, and I was just talking to me Grandfather yesterday telling me a story about when he was young and made $11 per week, after SS it was $10.89. Funny the things you remember I guess. So while I complain about all of the prices of everything rising, I guess it is all relative. I just with the wages would increase at the same rate as everything else...:eek:

/ ? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride??? #4  
^ well I guess we were typing at the same time. :)

/ ? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride??? #5  
My F.I.L. said when he was a kid of 10 or 12 he would work all day at a grocery store for $.35 (that's 35 cents). Then on Saturday he would take 4 friends (5 people total) to the movies and get all 5 into the theater, all of them popcorn, they got to watch a Flash Gordon short, a couple news reels, and a double feature movie (two movies), for that 35 cents!

5 of us went to a movie a couple nights ago. $40.00. No popcorn. Just admission.... and the film broke with 15 minutes left to go just as James Bond was looking at the propane cylinders!!! :laughing:

/ ? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride??? #6  
My F.I.L. said when he was a kid of 10 or 12 he would work all day at a grocery store for $.35 (that's 35 cents). Then on Saturday he would take 4 friends (5 people total) to the movies and get all 5 into the theater, all of them popcorn, they got to watch a Flash Gordon short, a couple news reels, and a double feature movie (two movies), for that 35 cents!

5 of us went to a movie a couple nights ago. $40.00. No popcorn. Just admission.... and the film broke with 15 minutes left to go just as James Bond was looking at the propane cylinders!!! :laughing:

Moss...are you kidding..? I ask because my Mrs. and I have not been to a movie theater in years...we have a big screen and Dish..Netflix..etc...LOL..make our own popcorn and the price is right...Anyway..my question is... I thought theater movies were all digital now...are they still using film ? Did you ever get to see the end of the movie ? Did you get a partial refund ? Are you mad ?:confused3:

/ ? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride??? #7  
James Bond was the first movie I've seen in a theater in several years. After he looked at the propane tanks, he

/ ? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride??? #8  
I went to a few movies in Ardmoee, OK, when it cost 10 cents, and when I visited my grandparents in Oklahoma City, I was just amazed that a movie theater could charge 50 cents. And a friend offer a dollar for a ride? I'll probably always remember a relatively cool summer/fall night in 1956 when we lived in Marietta, OK. The local movie theater was having a midnight preview that night so a friend and I were a block or so down the street shooting pool (cost a dime a rack) waiting to go to the movie, when the bus (can't remember whether it was Greyhound or Continental Trailways) stopped and a young soldier in uniform got off. He came into the pool hall because it was the only thing open in that little town that late at night, except the movie theater, and he asked if there was a taxicab in that town. There was not. He had come home to visit his parents who lived quite a long ways out in the country east of town. He said he couldn't call his folks to come get him because they didn't have a telephone.

So, as you might guess, my friend and I told him we'd take him home in my 1946 Chevy with maypop tires. I generally carried two old spares in the trunk. Anyway, we figured if we hurried, we could get him home and get back in time for the movie. Well, we got him home (I didn't want any pay for it; we owned a service station) and started back to town. Made a couple of miles and blew a tire. At that time I only had one spare since I'd had a flat a few days earlier. We jumped out, changed the tire, and took off again; made 2 or 3 miles and blew another tire. So by now it's after 11 p.m., and no spare. But I could see lights on in a house less than a quarter mile down that dirt road. So I walked down there, knocked on the door, and a nice older couple had a telephone and let me call home and wake up my Dad.

Dad got out of bed, went to our service station, took a tire and wheel off our old utility trailer that we knew would fit my car, and brought it to me. Now I expected Dad to be furious, but I told him what happened, he just motioned over his shoulder that he had set that tire and wheel in the car behind the drivers seat instead of in the trunk of his 1948 Oldsmobile. I opened the back door, took out the tire and wheel, Dad just grinned, and drove off.

And the movie had barely started by the time we got there.:laughing:

Incidentally, since we owned a service station, I kept my car full of gas, but before Dad bought that service station, I usually couldn't affor more that 25 to 50 cents worth at a time, so I carried a one gallon can of gasoline in the trunk so I wouldn't be stranded when I ran out of gas, which wasn't all that unusual.:laughing:

/ ? For the young people- What if someone offered you $1. for gas for a ride??? #10  

yeah and you should price the popcorn and the drinks, WOW.. Oh well I guess they need to make a buck and eat too. But it does seem excessive. I remember when I went from paying between .25 and .30 cents a gallon for gas then when it went up sorta sudden to .50 to .60 a gallon.. I felt robbed! abused, and used.! And when it crossed over into .75 cent territory, is when the wife and I shelled out of the good running gas guzzeling 400 pontiac into the Ford econobox 6 cylinder POS car that was not worth picking up in the street, that felt like stepping on a plum when you mashed the go pedal, and handled like a garbage scow. Oh well.