Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got #1  

Willl

Elite Member
Got a new gun safe coming and didn't really care for what they had in lighting.
Lights themselves wasn't bad, just didn't like the 'motion' only activation. Sometimes I don't move that fast. :ashamed:

Picked up 2 6ft clear rope lights to play with till it shows up and looks like they may do the trick.

BUT, I've never been too bashful to steal other folks ideas so if ya got a system ya like, please share.

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got #2  
I use a battery powered round light from Wally World that you tap in the center to turn on and off. Just put it on a shelf and move as necessary to get what I need when I need it. I think they use 'em in RV's to keep from stumbling around.

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got #3  
Willl, I think you're there already. How about tucking/tacking the ropes in the recess around the door for starters to project inward and minimize glare? Seems a lack of shadows would make up for a lack of brightness(?). My safes have holes for cords going in. Just choose whether you'd want to switch from inside or out. (I might have to break down & spend a cent on something that isn't food or metal and finally try this too. "I'll race ya!") ... :)

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got #4  
But I feel I'm more likely to need light when the power is out. I'm all set, but what are you guys going to do?

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got
Ya, that was kinda the plan to tuck it behind the lip.

And yes, got the electrical thru-put option also. Probably just use a simple on/off switch.

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got #6  
I bought some battery (AA) powered LED motion activated lights at Costco a couple months ago. Put them in the garage in strategic places so wife can step out there and back into the house without turning on all of the fluorescent shop lights. Don't know if they still have them, but look around at hardware stores, etc.

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got #7  
My safe is old enough to have a hole in the top which I ran a 3-wire extension cord through. I then plugged one of those outlet strips into it, and now I have 5 outlets inside the safe.

I use one for a 25W heater, which is enough to prevent condensation inside the safe and therefore prevent rust.

I have a clamp-on light with a compact flourescent bulb in it that I use to navigate inside.

I do not put rope lights inside, and I do not give tours either.

In case of power failure, I can use a flashlight.

For a heater I use a small lizard heater intended to go under an aquarium used as a lizard cage. It had peel & stick on one side, and I stuck it to an aluminum cookie sheet which fits up against one wall of the safe. This keeps it just a little bit warmer inside than outside and doesn't take up much space. Low-cost and very effective.

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got #8  
Keep a flashlight on the top of the safe for emergency use. That will help you see to get it open too.

If you are running something like 110v LED lights, leave them on all the time in lieu of a warmer. Or a 7 watt night light.

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got #9  
HF has blue led lights for under 3 dollars. They have a magnet so you can stick them on the outside of the safe. There are two light sources on this light a big flood and a downward one. It provides enough light to read the dial and stay right where you put it.

/ Gun safe lighting,,,,whats ya got #10  
Like Ken, I use a flashlight, I have a Surefire in every room in the house just about.