Cell Phone Signal Booster

/ Cell Phone Signal Booster #11  
Another approach is to go with a commercial quality long range cordless phone that would connect to either a land line or cellular base station. Not cheap, but there are models that claim up to 3000 acre coverage (open line of sight) or 12 stories worth of building. Check out EnGenius & their Durafon 1x product.

Nick

/ Cell Phone Signal Booster #12  
It's not really possible to boost a signal in an outdoor space. The good news is that it's very possible to boost it in buildings (even large ones) and in vehicles like a truck or tractor. The problem with trying to transmit a boosted signal outside is that it increases the possibility of interference with either the donor antenna or with the carrier's tower, both of which will cause the signal booster to shutdown. If you have a strong booster in a building, you might get some coverage outside but not a lot.

Knowing that you really can only use cell phone signal boosters/repeaters in a building or vehicle, what do you think would be ideal for your situation? Wilson has some really good mobile products that are great for a truck or tractor. The Wilson Sleek 4G-V and the In-Vehicle kit are two I've used.

Buildings are a bit more tricky since it depends on the square footage, construction, and the strength of the signal outside. If you let us know a bit more about the buildings you need to boost signal it, we can come up with some recommendations.

Advertisement? First post touting a certain brand after it was just recommended?

I smell sales rep, internet media guy?

/ Cell Phone Signal Booster #13  
We also have Verizon service. When we moved to the country 23 years ago we found we were in a fringe area with spotty reception like yours. Verizon has a network extender unit, ours is Samsung. It connects to our internet service router so we get all cell calls over the internet vice the cell towers. We have 4 bars all over the property (21 Ac). NBe sure you go to a Verizon company store not one of their franchise retail stores/kiosks. I get excellent service from Verizon but the franchise stores are short in the knowledge base.

Ron

/ Cell Phone Signal Booster
Ron, Thanks - that sounds like a possibility. I'd be very happy to just get service on 2 acres around the barn!

Bob

/ Cell Phone Signal Booster #15  
Well here's my problem. If I'm in the top of the hay mow I get great several bars, 200 feet up in a field one bar, over in the valley and in the woods 3 bars. Around the barn (or in the haymow when there is no hay ) it might ring in - or not ! I've looked at signal boosters but they all advertise use inside homes, offices, etc. So my question is has anyone tried one of these boosters to get service outside the buildings as well as in some of the farm buildings? I have 3 bars on top of the 25' electric pole next to the tractor garage. By the way it is verizon service. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thank you,
Bob

A cell phone signal booster can do wonders if you have the right equipment and can get a directional antennae pointed at the tower and there is enough of a signal to boost. There is some science to installing one. Just sticking up an antennae and hoping it works will most like yield unsatisfactory results. Go to CellReception.com and key in your city or zip code. The map will be populated with known cell towers in your area. You can try a different phone, but if there is not sufficient signal you have just wasted your money. The Wilson web site has a tab to find certified installers in your area. A certified installer can help you determine if a booster will actually do you good. A good booster will amplify signals from all services. Nextel is going away so don't include that service. Then it becomes which tower is sending the strongest signal in your area. I have saved a number of marriages in my area by doing a good install. At least read up from the Wilson web site. The attached thumbnail shows Verizon towers near Greene, NY.

Attachments

• GreeneNY.JPG
    GreeneNY.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 105
   / Cell Phone Signal Booster
Icould be getting signal from any of those three towers. Is there a way of knowing which one I'm connecting with or is that just trial and error? Surprised anyone gets signal from Verizon!! Maybe I should work on convincing them to put a tower on my "hill"
Bob

/ Cell Phone Signal Booster #17  
Icould be getting signal from any of those three towers. Is there a way of knowing which one I'm connecting with or is that just trial and error? Surprised anyone gets signal from Verizon!! Maybe I should work on convincing them to put a tower on my "hill"
Bob

That network extender I mentioned does exactly that. Puts a 5,000' radius cell tgower on your property. It is password protected also.

/ Cell Phone Signal Booster #18  
Bob

I would say the one with the strongest signal (obviously). Some phones can be put into "test mode" where you see a number indicating signal strength. Using that walk around the property and see if the strongest signal is coming from one of the displayed towers. A -65db is a great signal, -100db and you might be able to send text messages. The solution I have been working with is specifically for buildings, however there are booster packs for cell phones.

/ Cell Phone Signal Booster #19  
A cell phone signal booster can do wonders if you have the right equipment and can get a directional antennae pointed at the tower and there is enough of a signal to boost. There is some science to installing one. Just sticking up an antennae and hoping it works will most like yield unsatisfactory results. Go to CellReception.com and key in your city or zip code. The map will be populated with known cell towers in your area. You can try a different phone, but if there is not sufficient signal you have just wasted your money. The Wilson web site has a tab to find certified installers in your area. A certified installer can help you determine if a booster will actually do you good. A good booster will amplify signals from all services. Nextel is going away so don't include that service. Then it becomes which tower is sending the strongest signal in your area. I have saved a number of marriages in my area by doing a good install. At least read up from the Wilson web site. The attached thumbnail shows Verizon towers near Greene, NY.

Most carrierrs have a clause that you can get out of a contract in say 30 days if your not satisfied with reception at say your house.

/ Cell Phone Signal Booster #20  

I went to the site, put in my town and see nothing, well thought it was cause regardless of carrier there is no signal at the house. So i clicked on your picture,... where are the towers adn coverage in the area posted i see nothing but a map?