Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Default Re: Anti erosion plant

Thanks for the help. This bank is lined by a hay field on the upper side and the barn below. I agree that the wrong ground cover can be nasty, i want to take my time on this and make sure whatever i put in won't cause any headaches later.
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by wmonroe View Post
    Thanks for the help. This bank is lined by a hay field on the upper side and the barn below. I agree that the wrong ground cover can be nasty, i want to take my time on this and make sure whatever i put in won't cause any headaches later.
    Ground cover is a big help and well worth the trouble if done right. Let us know what you come up with.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by wmonroe View Post
    Check into zoysia grass. Needs several hrs of sun. Makes a deep pile rug on the ground and crowds out all other growth. Turns brown in the winter tho.
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Veteran Member

Crown vetch is a ground cover with many stems coming up from the ground. The juniper is more like one stem with alot of cover on top of the ground. Both are good ground covers just have different attachments to the ground. Vetch is quicker -Hence the states use.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 750, John Deere X540, Wallenstein BXMT3213 chipper shredder, Befco bush hog

I have a similar need to cover the back of my pond dam. I'm still researching and haven't identified exactly what to plant yet. I did learn that in several states Crown Vetch was used in the past for erosion control but was found to be invasive and is no longer used. Native warm season grasses (like switchgrass, which was already mentioned) are supposed to be good for erosion control and have incredibly deep root systems. Their roots can be several feet deep.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Kudzu...

Just kidding.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

And don't forget...Bamboo...

Just kidding.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Quote Originally Posted by sshaw View Post
    I have a similar need to cover the back of my pond dam. I'm still researching and haven't identified exactly what to plant yet. I did learn that in several states Crown Vetch was used in the past for erosion control but was found to be invasive and is no longer used. Native warm season grasses (like switchgrass, which was already mentioned) are supposed to be good for erosion control and have incredibly deep root systems. Their roots can be several feet deep.
    What do you mean it "was found to be invasive"?
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

substitutes for crown vetch - Meadows & Prairies Forum - GardenWeb

not only is crown vetch invasive/aggressive its not really that good of an option for sloped ground. it does grow fast and fill in quickly, which is why it was commonly recommended in the past for slopes. HOwever that time has passed, experience has shown the root system of the crown vetch is not adequate enough to hold the underlying soil. And the vetch itself fills in so much with very few roots that the underlying soil can erode away hidden by the vigorous yet shallow rooted crown vetch. Highway departments no longer promote crown vetch as a good planting for slopes.

============================
    Crown vetch or axseed - Invasive species: Minnesota DNR

Ecological Threat:

It is now a serious invader of prairies and dunes.

====================================
    From PA:
    Crown vetch

Trailing crown vetch is a serious management threat to natural areas due to its seeding ability and rapid vegetative spreading by creeping roots. This aggressive exotic is now widespread in Illinois along roadsides and in waste grounds, from where it becomes a serious invader of prairies and dunes.

=================
    Crown Vetch

Note do not buy, sell, or plant crown vetch.

=================
    From Forest Service:

www.invasive.org/weedcd/pdfs/wow/crown-vetch.pdf

Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

I would look for a local creeper that's not invasive, blue rug juniper works great and will not encroach outside the area like some grasses will, be mindful of ivy's and such as they quickly take over. I have had good luck with blue rug, stone ground covers, as well as 4" of mulch on banks in the past. Even low growing ground covering flower beds work well, we have some that bloom in the spring, but cannot recall the name,
    Kubota BX-23, BH, FEL, MMM, Various Bro-tek attachments, Exmark Lazermark.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast