Anti erosion plant

/ Anti erosion plant #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
Last year I had a barn put up which required the ground to be leveled. There is a section behind the barn that is too steep to mow but I don't want to have to weed wack it either. What is out there that I can plant and will hold the dirt in place but won't require mowing?
Thanks

/ Anti erosion plant #3  
I like juniper, but that needs full sunlight.

/ Anti erosion plant #4  
I used crown vetch on steep bare ground many years ago. It stopped the erosion, but it gets about 2 ft. tall & can spread to where you might not want it. I used plants, not seed.

/ Anti erosion plant
I looked both crown vetch and juniper up on wikipedia and it looks like both are able to survive cold weather. Wanted to make sure whatever i plant won't die and need replanted after winter.

I like juniper, but that needs full sunlight.

Couldn't tell from wikipedia but is juniper a shrub? I have the full sunlight part covered, the only shade would be caused by the barn late in the evening.

Thanks

/ Anti erosion plant #6  
You'll have to try real hard to kill crown vetch. Mine has survived -20 many times. Juniper is a tree. Many different varietys, from low growing shrubs to tall ornamentals.

/ Anti erosion plant #7  
Crown Vetch is pretty hardy. The state of Ohio uses it on places so steep that they can't mow along the roads. It will spread some. But not uncontrollably. It's an easy keeper.

/ Anti erosion plant #10  
Ground cover can be some pretty nasty stuff if done wrong. It's better to research it. Better yet talk to someone at a reputable nursery, county agent, or the local co-op.