Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #11  
The Cypress looks like it will take some of the bumps away. You will probably be happy once you figure out what the correct size is for you.

Flat Ohio suggests west of Cleveland. All I knew was Cleveland to Chardon and down to Kent. Lots of glacier activity there made for some nice hills. The drive to Fort Wayne from just west of Cleveland was pretty flat. It has been a long time since I have driven up from Georgia so I forget how flat Cincinnati via Columbus to Cleveland is.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #12  
Great advice--thank you all. I'm retired, 6'1" and since I'm looking for exercise I don't mind difficult. I do agree a multi speed is a better way to go and while I wold like to find used I might have to buy new. Here's the simple list off of the Giant website i fould. The three or seven speed is appealing but I'm just looking to find out what I want. Another reason to try to buy used is the depreciation factor since most people probably buy a bike and after 25 miles it gathers dust until sold. I am looking at the hybrid as well from the suggestions so look at the second link too.

Giant Bicycles | United States

Cypress LX (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

I'll use it probably 6 days a week if the weather is nice and ride for 4 to 12 miles most days. I am on an excercise regimen and must work out so I am committed. I know how to ride country roads and when the infrequent traffic passes I'll just ride into the grass edge. No big deal.

The roads are in great shape with not even much in the way of cracks, Blacktop, actually macadam roads where tar is laid down and then a layer of gravel that gets pressed in by the traffic. There really are no hills or even grades but I do remember the headwind thing and have canoed a lot in bad climates.

Good for you! With regards to buying used- while you are right about some depreciation, when buying used you might be hard-pressed to find the specific bike you want in the correct size. However, check with local bike club(s) as often the members will offer their equipment to the club folks first before selling elsewhere. And they might be able to assist you first-hand with your buying questions.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #13  
Good advice so far.

If your going to use it to exercise - might I recommend a bike computer as well. It's a great tool to see your distance and avg. speed. It makes the workout more fun for me since I compete against my best time.

CE-CD200-NCL-FRONT.jpg

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #14  
I commute to work by bike and find that fenders are very useful when the roads are wet. But you can get clip-on fenders for practically any bike. That is what I did since for exercise, I like to ride a mountain bike on the easier trails in local parks. These are found in Ohio too, of course, and you can rent a bike in some of them to try it out:

Ohio State Parks - Biking Trails
Ohio Mountain Bike Trails || SINGLETRACKS.COM || SINGLETRACKS.COM

But the best source of information is a local bike shop.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #15  
I see lightly used bikes at yard sales around here and at the Goodwill stores for less than 20 bucks all the time. Might give you a cheap entry in what type of bike you want.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #16  
001.jpg001.jpg

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/TopCategory_10053_10052_202326_-1_202326_Y

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bicycle.html

A new bike! Bike shopping is fun.

First off do some research on the different styles and types of bicycles available. Also look at cycling specific clothing. Then check out the add ons like racks, lights, rear view mirrors, a bell and tool kits. You'll also need a bag for the tool kit. One on the seat may be preferable. There's also numerous locking devices to look at.

When choosing make sure the frame fits your body. Handlebars and stem can be changed to fit your reach and give the more upright position you prefer.

Next comes the seat, very very important that a comfortable one is selected. Note that the wide seemingly comfortable ones will prove to be pure **** in action.

Pedals/shoes mean more options. The clip in's are desirable and make sure your foot is properly placed on the pedal.

A mountain bike with narrower road friendly tires may make them grass shoulders more palatable.

Suspension ups the cost but in rough stuff it's nice.( full or just the forks)

Gears are good for reasons already mentioned. You will find you set a cadence and shift gears to allow that cadence. Pick the shifters/brake set's that feel comfortable and of good quality. Then there are the gear ratio's to look for. A really low granny is heaven when it's required. Ratios ranging from about 20 to 40/45 gear inches may suffice.

You now have disc braking available. The choice is yours as the rim have worked well for many years.

Now for a few item that should be a must have.
Helmet, cycling gloves, cycling shorts( they may look wimpy but surely beat blue jeans or ordinary shorts. Your butt will appreciate them) rear view mirror, rear light, tool kit, tire repair stuff, pump and lots of other stuff as time goes on.

You will find that the more expensive the bike the lighter it is. The frame and wheel materials also change as price increases.

Enjoy your cycling:thumbsup::thumbsup:

A items have been mentioned but there are many more. Shop well and often before buying. Grill the sales person Long and hard.

After buying do not leave until the bicycle is set up for you. Proper setting makes riding
Enjoyable.

Seat height and horizontal position, handlebars for reach, shifters/brakes to your comfort.

Last edited:
   / Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #17  
Look at the Trek "Pure" or "Pure Sport".
The nicest feature about the bike besides comfort is the recumbant crank shaft location.
Instead of being directly under the seat it is slightly forward and the handle bar geomertry... makes you feel like you are in a chair.
This is very nice if you have an aggrivated lower back like I do.
! have had one 3 years now? and ride it to work and in the evening.
???? ???? Trek Pure Sport (2010) - ????
trek_pure.jpg
I also bought 2 Trek "Navgator 2.0" bikes for my wife and oldest daughter.
They too are a well built bike and comfortable.
TrekNavigator2-0.jpg

Tom

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #18  
sixdogs said:
I'm going to buy a bicycle for cruising down my counrty roads just for the added exercise but am confused by all that's out there. I'm retired and just want to pedal and work out. If it matters, my roads are as flat as a pancake.

The brand i sort of like is "Giant" only because I have seen some used ones advertised for sale and they look beefy and dependable. Some have only one gear with regular handlebars (i like that) and some have many speeds with lean forward racing type handlebars. Don't like that because I'm getting arthritis and bending forward hurts my back. I would ride about 12 miles at a time and I actually would wear a helmet.

An overly complex bike does not appeal to me because I don't need or want it. The single gear, regular handlebar bicycle sort of appeals to me but I'm not sure if that's a smart idea or not.Those handlebars that let you sit up straight seem like a good idea but maybe I don't know any better.

Can anyone help me out a bit with advice and opinions?

Sounds like your looking for a good old plain bicycle. Probably in the 26" wheel size (adult). Nice comfortable seat with maybe a small basket or bottle holder. Wheels that are not the thin touring type. you might check out Walmart. They are now carrying a classic looking line of adult size bikes with full fenders for those mud puddles. They are not too pricy that will break the bank. I believe they have the standard type bendix pedal breaks too. (old school). If I was in the market for a neighborhood cruizer without many hills that's what I'd look at. If you have a lot of hills, you might consider a bile with multi gears.

As for dog protection, you can visit the local Petsmart or pet store for a commercial repellent or research the internet and make your own that works but not harmful to dogs (lasting harm). Good luck with your search.

Posted with iPad 2 iOS v5.1 -TBN v1.5.16

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #19  
I'm going to buy a bicycle for cruising down my counrty roads just for the added exercise but am confused by all that's out there. I'm retired and just want to pedal and work out. If it matters, my roads are as flat as a pancake.

The brand i sort of like is "Giant" only because I have seen some used ones advertised for sale and they look beefy and dependable. Some have only one gear with regular handlebars (i like that) and some have many speeds with lean forward racing type handlebars. Don't like that because I'm getting arthritis and bending forward hurts my back. I would ride about 12 miles at a time and I actually would wear a helmet.

An overly complex bike does not appeal to me because I don't need or want it. The single gear, regular handlebar bicycle sort of appeals to me but I'm not sure if that's a smart idea or not.Those handlebars that let you sit up straight seem like a good idea but maybe I don't know any better.

Can anyone help me out a bit with advice and opinions?

I single speed bike may not be a good idea if you are trying to work out because you will pedal very fast...but if you get a multi-speed bike, you can crank on the pedals at the speed you choose, and the bikes speed will still be fast enough to develop appreciable wind resistance.

When I bought my bike, I was weird about it and there were certain things I wanted and was willing to pay for. I wanted a shaft drive bike so my pant's leg wouldn't get caught or greased up. I wanted front disk brakes. I wanted at least 6 speeds. I wound up with all that, but 7 speeds. It set me back money wise, but sometimes I find it's just best to pay up and get what you want.

I did want some sort of suspension front and rear, I mine has that. It was sold by a company called Dynamic.
http://www.dynamicbicycles.com/

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #20  
Wife and I got bikes years ago and put in quite a few miles. Even spent our honeymoon biking Nova Scotia. First we had the standard 10 speed with the downward curved handlebars. Then, we moved up to mountain bikes that had approximately 53 speeds. Was always hard to tell exactly which gear you were in without looking down and counting sprockets. The handle bars were were simply a straight tube through the stem. They $ucked.
My observations:
1. Schwinn figured out the proper handle bar configuration way back. Arms hang at ease with the palms forward and back. Ever seen a wheelbarrow with a straight stick as a handle?
2. Those little narrow hard seats are fine if you're 12 years of age but they're **** on hemorrhoids. At the least you need to slather that sucker with Preparation H. Me, I bought one of those over stuffed silicone gell seats. Not that I've ever done it, but it has to be like sitting on a breast implant.
3. Who the he!! cares what you look like. Strap one of those old fashioned baskets on the handlebars so you can carry stuff. I did. I wouldn't head out without a quart of orange juice, pound of black cherries and my walkman.
4. The knobby tires have to go. At first I was impressed with their macho appearance. It gave my bike the look of I could go anywhere. 'It' probably could. I was the weak point in the link. I opted for reduced rolling resistance of a smoother tire.
Your mileage may vary.