Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #31  
In our area the country roads are generally straight with good visibility and little traffic. They are very safe except for the random tourists we get in the summer who won't pull over to pass even if there isn't any traffic.

I like good bikes because cruising through the country at 15 to 20mph isn't boring at all. I know some people who use stationary bikes and I don't know how they can stand it.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider
Great comments and I took them to heart. Went to a bike shop this AM and talked to the knowledgeable owner for an hour. Good guy and a bike shop is the only way to go. Great tip and thank you on that. Came away thinking a holdover model of the one shown below is the right idea...Same bike but two links.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_pdf/bikes/united_states/giantbicycles-55845-cypress.dx.pdf

Cypress DX (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

I can get a good price on a 2012 holdover model and he'll toss in a few extras. It has the larger wheels mentioned, a gel seat and aluminum frame. Shock absorber forks and kickstand. I'll add a rear bracket to carry things, maybe a front one as well and a mileage counter. Toss in some cards in the spokes (relax...only kidding) and I'm good to go.

Not to worry about the back roads. There are few cars and my 45 minute ride might see one or two pass, especially at dawn. As noted, I'll go well onto the shoulder as traffic approaces. I'll have to go back to the shop next week since I was unable to try one out today because of some snow that's still around.

So that's where I'm on at. Still looking but I like Giant bicycles and am leaning towards this model.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #33  
   / Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #34  
Great comments and I took them to heart. Went to a bike shop this AM and talked to the knowledgeable owner for an hour. Good guy and a bike shop is the only way to go. Great tip and thank you on that. Came away thinking a holdover model of the one shown below is the right idea...Same bike but two links.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_pdf/bikes/united_states/giantbicycles-55845-cypress.dx.pdf

Cypress DX (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

I can get a good price on a 2012 holdover model and he'll toss in a few extras. It has the larger wheels mentioned, a gel seat and aluminum frame. Shock absorber forks and kickstand. I'll add a rear bracket to carry things, maybe a front one as well and a mileage counter. Toss in some cards in the spokes (relax...only kidding) and I'm good to go.

Not to worry about the back roads. There are few cars and my 45 minute ride might see one or two pass, especially at dawn. As noted, I'll go well onto the shoulder as traffic approaces. I'll have to go back to the shop next week since I was unable to try one out today because of some snow that's still around.

So that's where I'm on at. Still looking but I like Giant bicycles and am leaning towards this model.

If you are going to be riding early in the morning or in the evening (or foggy conditions), put a red flashing light on that bike. They are inexpensive, but make you more visible to vehicles. Cheap investment in safety.

Something like this attaches easily to a seat post, and is inexpensive (cheaper than Careflight) I would not ride in low light conditions without some kind of illumination. You can also get a front light, but I would not go out without one of these at a minimum.

http://www.rei.com/product/756360/planet-bike-superflash-rear-bike-light

Attachments

• pixel.gif
    pixel.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 148
   / Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #35  
A friend of mine owns a bike shop & myself & him used to race mountain bikes a lot of years ago.
From what you mentioned, I'd say a hybrid would be the best option for you, as the wheels are slightly larger than a mountain bike and semi slick tyres give grip, but a lower rolling resistance when on road which is always good (think turfs or ags!)
I'd not be so bothered with suspension - especially if most of the riding is on the flat - it will sap effort!
I'd agree - less years the better! The trend here is for "single speed" which does mean finding a set up that allows steady riding but let's you get started too!

It might be worth chatting to the bike shop to see if you can hire a couple different styles & see which suits you best?

Last point - a "sit up" position will put more strain on any back issues, as shock from bumps will transfer straight in to your spine, whereas a mountain bike style (more leaning forward), allows you to pivot more when encountering bumps etc.

Hope that helps!

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #36  
If you are riding on the road, you might want to consider a rear view mirror. Wear light colored clothing especially during low light times, and have fun.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #37  
I sure like the Giant bike you listed; the 7 speed would be nice. I have a Schwinn fat tire (big ole wide white walls), tractor style seat, single speed - you know, old school type of bike. It's fine for my little bit of riding, but if I were on a regiment like you're going to be on, I'd probably want a multi-speed.

There's probably a hundred bikes out there that would fit your needs, but finding out just what those needs are is the trick. I'd go to a GOOD bike shop and let them size me up for the right size and style bike. Can't go wrong getting the experts involved first hand. Yeah, it'll cost you a frew dollars more. But you'll keep and ride the bike a lot longer if you really like it and it fits your build.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #38  
I haven't rode a bike for over 30 years, but if you're new to biking,
the following advice may save you from serious knee damage.

I am average build (5'10") and my wife then was short (5') with short legs.
I was always frustrated by not being able to keep up with her when we rode together.
Also frustrated by the knee pain I endured by trying.

I always had my seat adjusted to the correct height (knee still bent slightly when the pedal is at the bottom),
however, I kept the forward/backward adjustment as recommended by the 'racing cyclists'.

One day I experimented with the seat adjustment by moving it farther back.
This one thing enhanced my enjoyment of cycling more than any other thing.
It was almost a miraculous improvement.
Not only could I cycle my normal route of 60 miles without any knee pain, but I could climb hills in one gear higher than
I could before. More importantly (for my pride) I could now outrace my wife. :)
I even got a different seat post that allowed the seat to be even farther back and my torque on the crank got even greater.

Just try it and you will see what I mean !

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider
Great advice. Who kew tractor people knew bicycles? And I almost didn't ask.
Yes and yes on the things I forgot to note. Rearview mirror, flashing light, bright colors and helmet. And yes, I'm doing the test ride thing as soon as no ice on pathway. Not sure if I need a large or X-large frame plus want to see how things feel.

Question...How come I need fenders? I'm a fair weather rider only.

Question...The bike I'm looking at has a front shock absorber suspension. Do I need this and is it a big deal?

Question...Can I get a cardio exercise out of this?

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #40  
Great advice. Who kew tractor people knew bicycles? And I almost didn't ask.
Yes and yes on the things I forgot to note. Rearview mirror, flashing light, bright colors and helmet. And yes, I'm doing the test ride thing as soon as no ice on pathway. Not sure if I need a large or X-large frame plus want to see how things feel.

Question...How come I need fenders? I'm a fair weather rider only.

Question...The bike I'm looking at has a front shock absorber suspension. Do I need this and is it a big deal?

Question...Can I get a cardio exercise out of this?

Fenders will keep you dry in moist conditions. If you are only going to ride when it's sunny and dry, you don't really need them. The will create some drag, too.

I'm personally not a fan of suspensions on bikes. If you are doing hardcore off road, where you expect to deal with rocks and stumps and uneven terrain they are fine. If you are on the roads, they add weight and actually sap some of the energy transfer.

As to cardio exercise, absolutely 100% yes.