Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #61  
Deere Dude, start out with small distances and work your way up. You will be suprised of the improvement you have in 1 month. 20 minutes to a half hour is a good start for bike riding. I'm 50, and I get winded gettting out of a chair, don't feel bad.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #62  
There is a saying that it is easier to not put it in your mouth then it is to burn it off. Rule of thumb is that you burn 100 callories for every mile walked or jogged. That's one lite beer per mile.

If I wanted to lose weight, and I do, I would adjust the diet and eat less. Count calories and cut down on how many calories you consume. Normal activity and just sleeping burns calories. Getting down to an even level of what you eat compared to what you burn is the goal.

I'm 47. I weighed 265 a few years ago. I weigh 200 pounds today. I now eat one meal a day. People tell me how I need to eat more, but I can work 12 hours a day, seven days a week. I couldn't do that when I ate three meals a day and wieghed 65 pounds more.

Be careful of the advice from "experts" I've come to the conclusion that they are all guessing with a few bits of information, but nobody knows for sure what's going on. Kind of like predicting the weather. They got a clue, but none of them know what's going to happen or why.

It took years to get there, it will take years to undo it.

Eddie

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #63  
All this is great advice and i am very appreciative. I'm going to buy the Giant brand "Cypress" model shown above but I need to test drive. Hopefully this Saturday. My real question is do I want the front shock absorber fork and I'm thinking I could get be by just fine without it--but I'm still researching and and listening. That's really the last thing I need to think about and you guys really helped me narrow things down.

Some have mentioned the additional weight of the suspension forks, but I'd tend to just roll that into the package and look at the overall weight of the bike. A bigger concern may be the range of adjustment of the forks. If you can make them right stiff, this may simulate not having them at all if you find you don't like them. I keep mine on the stiff side so they don't really move if I pedal aggressively, but when they do move, I'm pretty glad they did.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #64  
I'm going to buy a bicycle for cruising down my counrty roads just for the added exercise but am confused by all that's out there. I'm retired and just want to pedal and work out. If it matters, my roads are as flat as a pancake.

The brand i sort of like is "Giant" only because I have seen some used ones advertised for sale and they look beefy and dependable. Some have only one gear with regular handlebars (i like that) and some have many speeds with lean forward racing type handlebars. Don't like that because I'm getting arthritis and bending forward hurts my back. I would ride about 12 miles at a time and I actually would wear a helmet.

An overly complex bike does not appeal to me because I don't need or want it. The single gear, regular handlebar bicycle sort of appeals to me but I'm not sure if that's a smart idea or not.Those handlebars that let you sit up straight seem like a good idea but maybe I don't know any better.

Can anyone help me out a bit with advice and opinions?

My reply was that the OP originally suggested he was looking at a simple bike. Your suggestion tried steer him away from his thoughts. Both your and my suggestions was early in the thread. His thoughts may have evolved, but that doesn't change that what I suggested is what he was looking for. Nor did I try to lead him away. Buying a bike that cost nearly a grand is quite a leap from an ordinary bike. I've never as an adult got my pants caught in a chain. If he wants to pay anywhere from 700 to 1500 bucks then buy a bike like yours. He didn't mention budget so your bike may be what he's after. I really don't know why some people have to press their opinion when it's not in the best interest of the OP. If your argument is that the OP has changed his mind and wants to spend a grand then so be it. My comment to you was he wasn't interested in your type of bike by his own words. You decided he was wrong and pressed your suggestion and discounted mine. Good for you.

Posted with iPad 2 iOS v5.1 -TBN v1.5.16

The OP seemed to be open to ideas, and I gave mine. I was not calling the OP wrong.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider
I appreciate the good advice and am pleased to say the deal is done and I have a bike in the basement. It's the one referenced above and after a test ride I decided to go with the suspension forks. It rides like a million $$ and is smooth as silk. Here's the catalog picture of the current model but I bought a year-end holdover at a good price. It's the Giant brand Cypress model.---here---

Cypress DX (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Also got a got a rear luggage rack as well as front and rear LED flashing lights. For another day is the helmet, mirror, speedometer and probably a pair of those spandex pants. Not sure if I want to do it or not but I might get a bike shirt that is white and has brand name lettering on it. Sure looks highly visable to me so it ought to for others as well.

So thanks for all the excellent advice and I am a happy camper. My original plans evolved here and I'm sure glad they did because I wound up getting exactly what works for me. Especially good advice was to go to a bike shop and I'm glad I did. My plan started with a mail order intention but the few $$ extra from a smart shopmowner was worth it. Thanks again to all.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #66  
Nice choice! We need pictures of your new ride all tripped out! You can leave the one of you in your spandex out!;)

Don`t forget to use it!

Advise phrases to keep you motivated:
Sweating is you fat crying!
No one said it was going to be easy!
On those days when you don`t feel like working out, do it anyways for 5 minutes, if you still want to stop than go ahead.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider
Nice choice! We need pictures of your new ride all tripped out! You can leave the one of you in your spandex out!;)

Don`t forget to use it!

Advise phrases to keep you motivated:
Sweating is your fat crying!
No one said it was going to be easy!
On those days when you don`t feel like working out, do it anyways for 5 minutes, if you still want to stop than go ahead.

Good stuff. I've already been working out for a number of months so leg tone is already pretty good. Plus we sort-of farm and I have a summer construction biz that helps. I am in my sixties but not overweight--24 BMI-- and the bike will just fill the exercise gaps. I figure I'll do fine but I will do what it takes to exercise and I won't back down on that.

On the downside, I did slip in the store and when i meant to ask about "spandex pants" said "rubber pants" instead. He's a good guy so we had a laugh over that. As much as I don't want to wear them I think I will and just wear shorts over them. I think I'm OK with that.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #68  
Nice looking bike! Hope you get some good riding weather soon.

/ Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #69  
I find this jersey does give good visibility :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P1100003.JPG
    P1100003.JPG
    689.8 KB · Views: 62
   / Need bicycle buying advice for adult rider #70  
Happy trails/roads!:)

Some people carry regular shorts and put them on whenever they get off the bike.:)