industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question #1  

Dongerosa

Bronze Member
Tractor
7510 bota...RTV 900
We dealing with a 6 million gallon (expandable to 10 M gallon) Class B sewage lagoon that has EPA approval moving into a community close to me. There, EPA, regulation state it only needs to be 300 foot from property line...man, that seem close. As you would expect...the adjacent property owner are not happy, and I'm not sure I want to see all these large truck hauling down my country county road.

Just starting my quest on learning about this sewage lagoon stuff, did a little search on this forum...only found some personnal lagoon info...not what I was looking for. So, any links you may have to point me on my quest to learn about his topic would be great! any experences on an industrial lagoon operation/smell/issues/ect would be helpful also.

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question #2  
What is industrial sewage? The city's lagoons don't smell too bad, never noticed except when right on them. Also, 6 million gallons sound big but it's probably 300' square and 10 feet deep.

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question #3  
We dealing with a 6 million gallon (expandable to 10 M gallon) Class B sewage lagoon that has EPA approval moving into a community close to me. There, EPA, regulation state it only needs to be 300 foot from property line...man, that seem close. As you would expect...the adjacent property owner are not happy, and I'm not sure I want to see all these large truck hauling down my country county road.

Just starting my quest on learning about this sewage lagoon stuff, did a little search on this forum...only found some personnal lagoon info...not what I was looking for. So, any links you may have to point me on my quest to learn about his topic would be great! any experences on an industrial lagoon operation/smell/issues/ect would be helpful also.

Check with your local/state health department. If they don't regulate these things, they can probably tell you who does and what the standards are. They can probably provide you with engineering specs, operational parameters, complaint procedures, and public notice/comment opportunities. I very strongly recommend that you check this out; after the thing is built and operating it's usually tool late if it isn't up to snuff

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question #4  
If the EPA blessed the sucker I would think all lights are on GREEN.

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question #5  

Is this for a manufactured home community? There are several around here, and one local guy has a biz maintaining the lagoons.

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question #6  
There is a farm near us that did something similar for their cow manure. Was very unpopular with the neighbors, but there wasn't anything that they could do about it as they crossed all their Ts and dotted all their Is.

Aaron Z

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question
It has been approved by EPA, but they, land owner and the company, ignored all local zoning. EPA states...not my problem! It a treated human waste. yes farms are in the area.

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question #8  
It has been approved by EPA, but they, land owner and the company, ignored all local zoning. EPA states...not my problem! It a treated human waste. yes farms are in the area.

A lot of people don't care for zoning or land use planning until ...

If they trampled local zoning regs, then you have to attack the county or city board that did that. They generally are drawn to the tax revenues while over-looking the downsides to surrounding properties. So, sometimes it helps to work-out the loss in surrounding property values (and resulting loss of property tax revenue) to base a financial argument on.

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question #9  
I work for a civil engineering firm and we design these things for smaller towns. If it is an aerated unit, meaning they have air piped into the bottom of the lagoon with a set number of aerators placed on the bottom, they tend to be very low odor and you won't notice a lot of bad smells. If its not an aerated unit, at certain times of the year there will be an odor problem that at times can be bad.

Is this a municipal lagoon? Ag? Some kind of factory?

/ industrial 6 million gallon Class "B" sewage Lagoon question #10  
if the folks that will be maintaining it have a descent work habit, and keeping things in good order. regardless of lagoon to other, i doubt you will have much problem or any issues.

everyone house, not on some sort of city sewer, most likely has some sort of miniature lagoon in there yard in a septic tank and leach field. there are different ways to handle waste. some variations break waste down quicker, so large amount of waste can be processed, while others, are slow at breaking down waste and perhaps less efficient in how they process waste.

if system is not designed to handle peak loads, you can get yourself into trouble. properly sized waste plants / lagoons can really do a lot. in keeping odors down, and being efficient. but were it is built and how it is built and landscape around it can make a big difference as well.

6,000,000 / 7.48 = 802139 cubic feet
802139 / 10 foot depth - 80213.6 square feet
80213 / 200 feet wide = 401 foot long
===============
6000000 gallon lagoon
10 feet deep
200 feet wide
400 feet long

really is not that big. more so when you account for "retention time" or rather Dwell time. dwell time being, how long waste has to stay within the lagoon for waste to break down, before moving on. to next stage of waste handling.

with above said, a larger lagoon within reason of waste load being placed into it, might be more beneficial and wanted. to reduce problems of local neighbors. vs neighbors trying to get a lagoon reduced and causing a bigger stink errr odor problems for themselves.

semi trucks are automatically limited to a given total weigh they can handle. and tanker trucks dealing with waste need extra re-enforcement and checks down on trucks and trailers. and drivers of given trucks most likely require a certain EPA or like certification to drive waste handling trucks, really, i think ya making a bigger stink, due to stink is involved.

=================
EPA most likely required some sort of "notice" to be sent out, to everyone in a given "air mile of property for a lagoon being placed in.