Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

Default Re: Improving Circulation/heating in house

This might be the ticket. Expensive, but I think it can be thermostatically controlled.Hotpod electric duct heater installs in existing ductwork, and allows the homeowner to control the temperature of an individual room

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Turn your fan control from auto to on. When you build your fire your temp is exciding your stat setting. I also place a fan in the hallway to move some air.
    Murph

Gold Member

There's only a single return for the house, in the hallway ceiling right outside the bedroom door. The bedroom has a pocket door, with an inch or so gap above the carpet. I believe the air pathways are sufficient as things work well when using the heat pump. But the air handler runs the fan at up to 3x the speed when the system is in heat pump versus circulate mode. I did have the fan set to on versus the intermittent setting (10 or 15 mins per hour).

The heat source could be adding to the issue. I'm not sure how much the air temp is increased when the air goes through the heat pump. When I use the wood stove, the thermostat in the hallway has said 75, sometimes higher. The thermostat is standard height on the wall about 5 ft from the return which is in the ceiling, so the air being drawn into the return should be hotter than what the thermostat says. It seems like adding a return into the bedroom would increase circulation in that room, but it would be diluting the hot air going into the other return with the cooler air from the new return in the bedroom.

The powered registers may be worth looking into and that's easy to back out if it doesn't work.. Trying to trick the air handler into running the fan higher may also work, but not sure what that would do to my warranty. Not sure about cutting into walls unless I'm pretty confident its a solution.

Keith

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

You want to get the dense cool air on the floor back to the stove. You need to place small desk type fans or any fan really on the floor in the cold area or several on the way to stove room. Have them pushing the cold air toward the stove. The dense cold air will flow along the floor and the hot air will flow back along the ceiling. DO NOT try to blow the hot into a cold room, it does not work, trust me. I can heat my 2500sqft first floor with this method and i have an old seperated type floor plan with rooms and halls. My stove room can be 80F and my bedroom is through 2 doorways around some bends and down a hallway a total of say 60 feet or so walking distance from the stove. It will be 68 in the bedroom which is really to hot for me to sleep. This is in an uninsulated home on a 27F night. Last year all i used was wood heat this year other than my wifes picky parents that cant stand temp swings according to here we have not used any other heat. But when they were there i think they had the heat on a few times cause they have to have it 72-74 all the time and if the wood needs to be reloaded and it fell below 73 it would trip on. Me perosonally i cant really sleep at that temp in the wintertime. The bedrooms on the side they stay on rarely fall below 72 anyway and often hit 76 outside them in the hall. My mom has to close her door and open the windows when she stays at my house in the winter if the stove is on!!
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

I have a fireplace at the end of a pretty new well insulated ranch home and have the same problem. I never run the gas furnace just the fireplace and now a small infrared box heater. The bedrooms are always colder than the main rooms even with the fan circulating and air returns and supplies to each room. My office is in the last room and is about 5-10 deg. cooler almost all the time, even though we have the furnace fan running, a ceiling fan on while the fireplace is running and also a 20' box fan pushing air down the hallway.

Menards, something like Home Depot, had infrared box type heaters for $60 or so for Christmas so I spring for one. It works great for my lone office at the end of the house. It is supposed to be good for 1000 sq. ft. and my office is only a few hundred, but I put the thing on low (750 watt) and it is a nice even quiet heat and raises the temp to a more comfortable heat in 30 min. I only run it when the temp in my office dips to 60 and until the fireplace starts pumping heat to the end of the house, but that would be an economical, easy fix. Then in the summer you can throw it in the closet. You only need it for a couple years anyway probably.
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    Turn your fan control from auto to on. When you build your fire your temp is exciding your stat setting. I also place a fan in the hallway to move some air.
    If your heat rarely kicks on this is really an ineffecient way to distribute the heat as you have to heat up your ducts before you will get the full benefit of the heat, also there is a good bit of loss because the ducts often run in unheated areas, ie the crawl or attic space. trust me i and many over at hearth.com have tried this as well as discussed it.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    8N & JD1010

What Clemsonfor said, push cold air to the stove. Cold air is dense and moves easier. Work with the natural flow of mother nature. Help the natural convection of hot and cold. Split a sliver of tissue paper and old it in doorways with the fan on and off and watch the flow. Good luck

Tractor
    jd 1070

Buy some 1" foil lined foam board and line the walls and ceiling with it to cut heat loss. Then cut 1" off the bottom of the rood door to allow cold air to flow out. I've used a duct booster in my back room to held with air flow, but the insulation and the full time air circ. solved my problem.

Actually, babies sleep better in a cold room from my experience. But, summer temps will be better in their room if you have A/C.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204

Looks like a couple have not read through all the posts by the OP. They have already said there is an inch air space at the bottom of the door. That's more than enough to permit air to move in and out of the room. At 1" height and door width of 28", the area is equal to an air supply of 6" dia which is fairly close to what one would expect in a smaller room.

Most likely reason for the lack of heat in this room is as stated my Clemsonfor, heat loss in the air ducts. Air return close to the bedroom in question and not so close to the wood stove. The circulating air can't be any higher than at the air return but then as it circulates through out the house heat is lost in the air ducts. How big a loss is all determined by how long the duct runs are, how well the ducts are insulated and amb temp the air ducts are running through. The returning air will be colder than it was at the air return.

I have a sim situation where my pellet stove is located is about 30' to nearest air return. Room the stove is in is typ 5-7 degrees warmer than any other room. All my ducts are insulated and amb air temp where the ducts run is in the 30-40 degree range. I do have the ability to control circulation fan speed when just on air circulation.
    Yanmar Fx24D,
    Koyker 155 loader,
    RSB-1300 tiller
    Cub 3204, 48" mower
    Bolen 1257 GT with tiller

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200

Don't close the door. I'm not being facetious. When our boy was an infant, my wife made all the noise she could while he slept. Ran the vacuum, the dishwasher, had the radio on, etc. He soon slept thru all of it. He slept because he needed to; the noise wasn't an issue.

And when she thought he was ready (eating baby food? I don't remember) she decided it was time he slept thru the night. So on a Friday night, he woke up and cried and we gritted our teeth and let him cry. He cried for an hour or 2. Next night, half an hour. 3rd night, he woke up, made a little noise & went back to sleep. Problem solved, he slept thru the night after that, no more middle of the night feedings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast