Planning for spring

/ Planning for spring #1  

crowbar032

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader, NH LS170 Skid Steer
So here recently, I've already received 6 seed catalogs. I've been pondering for quite some time on getting some black raspberry canes and this spring I think I'm finally going to do it. I think I'm also going to have room for some strawberries (my personal favorite). I have a small area behind the house that is steeper than I want to mow. I'm in zone 6 and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations/pictures on variety or trellis setup. I would like thornless black raspberries but I haven't seen any listed, and I know I want the everbearing variety of strawberries.

And yes I know it's January but I've got cabin fever something fierce. And the sad pathetic thing is I really enjoy doing this kind of stuff. There is no money in gardening and small farming, but you eat really really well.

/ Planning for spring #2  
I've got four large tiered gardens in my backyard for my strawberry's. I grow 200 plants back there in a fairly small area and it's a lot easier to keep the weeds out and mow around them. The downside is that they need to be watered a lot more than if they were in the ground, but I like the fact that I can raise so many in such a small area.

I built mine out of treated lumber - the bottoms are about 6 feet wide and 12 feet long. Then I built two tiers that sit above the bottom. I placed them so that I had plenty of room to mow around them. It did take a lot of top soil to fill them, and I made sure that I incorporated a lot of manure into the dirt. I also send samples off every year for soil analysis, I tell them it's for strawberries and get back a report on just what, if anything, I need to keep them growing well.

I don't have any experience with raspberries, but I do have a lot of thornless blackberries, love em!
You might want to plant some June bearing strawberries, real handy to have a bunch come ripe all at once if you want to can the, make jam, freeze them, etc

/ Planning for spring #3  
I haven't ever had good luck with "mail order" plants, love the catalogs though, they sure have a way of making you want to get out and do something productive.

I'm thinking it has to do more with where I am in relation to what the catalog companies sell, even if a plant is rated for my area, I think they really need to have been cultivated in my region to actually have a good chance. Now I try to shop the local garden centers and even then you have to know what really grows well in your area, I have seen Douglas firs for sell here and those really dont do well in this area per se. Fruit trees are another one you have to be mindful of here.

2 -3 years ago I bought 10 Blackberry plants from Turner seed I believe, beautiful little plants when they arrived, but all died over a 2 yr period, so this last summer I finally found a native cross strain (Brazos River) that seem to be doing quite well their 1st year.

/ Planning for spring #4  
We've only seen one seed catalog so far. I'm thinking about trying the strawberries in rain gutters idea this year. Still need to research varieties, watering, etc. Also thinking about something for the summer squash to keep the vine borers away.

We tried strawberries in a raised bed two years ago. Put down wire fence and landscaping cloth under it to keep critters from invading it, but that was no match for the wiregrass we have.

Keith

/ Planning for spring
I'm probably going to use a locally nursery to get the plants, but the arrival of seed catalogs always starts my thinking.

/ Planning for spring #6  
I'm probably going to use a locally nursery to get the plants, but the arrival of seed catalogs always starts my thinking.

Sure does, with all those purdy pictures and everything:laughing: Doesn't show all the hard work involved growing those plants!!

/ Planning for spring #7  
Sure does, with all those purdy pictures and everything:laughing: Doesn't show all the hard work involved growing those plants!!

Yes, but dig into a fresh out of the garden tomato, strawberry, cantaloupe, etc and tell me it wasn't worth it!!

/ Planning for spring #8  
Yes, but dig into a fresh out of the garden tomato, strawberry, cantaloupe, etc and tell me it wasn't worth it!!

Gunny, you are 100% correct, I think I can buy corn for instance cheaper than I can grow it, but it taste better knowing "I did it". Take all the "labor of love" out of it, I still think it's the best "free" therapy that is available:laughing:

Side note: My 22 YO daughter , raised pretty much "country", has hit the age of electronics and the draw of the "city life", but she still loves to work in the garden, so my thinking is she will always have the knowledge to fall back on, or at least the memory's.

/ Planning for spring #9  
Western - glad to hear you daughter still loves garden work. I can't even get my daughters to learn how to can tomatoes and other garden produce, but they still know how to "drop by and borrow a few quarts of this and that" Most of the time, I consider myself lucky if I get the jars back!

/ Planning for spring #10  
My recommendation is to check with your local extension office or a Master Gardener club. Need to know what varieties do well in YOUR locale.

Lived many yrs in the Salem Or. area and this is berry country. The town I liven in was once know as the berry capital of the world. In that area cane berries are supported similarly. Treated posts with horiz wires (2 rows) between posts. Each variety of berry seems to have it own stringing pattern. Berry plants mid-way between posts and runners wrapped around the wires. As I said, each variety has it own pattern for wrapping around the wires.

Couldn't fins pictures but here are a couple links that may be useful to you.

Marionberry | Eat Your Oregon Berries | Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission

Marionberry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry both these links focus on Marion berries. While a local variety I have seen Marionberry jam/preserves on the shelf on the East coast.