Need bicycle helmet advice

/ Need bicycle helmet advice #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Recently I bought a new bicycle to ride my quiet country roads and dicussed it in a separate thread--- http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/268062-need-bicycle-buying-advice-adult.html

The bike came home with me yesterday and figured it's a done deal but now I find the choices of helmets confusing. Originally I though I would have to give in and wear the tpical bike helmet that looks like this Amazon.com: Bell Solar Bike Helmet: Sports & Outdoors The problem is I'm not sure i like how it looks and I don't feel feel like it protects the melon real well. It feels flimsy. There is little traffic on my side road but you never know, I could fall off.

Then I found this football style helmet that sure looks like it provides much better protection and seems to look better but I'm not sure about that. Here it is Amazon.com: Bell Faction Multi-Sport Helmet: Sports & Outdoors I guess I think I like this style only beacuse I'm not sure I like the other style.

Any input from riders out there on what they have or like? As mentioned in the other thread, my riding is strictly an exercise event for maybe an hour or so five days a week and that's the sole purpose. I'll likely never ride in a group or traffic and am a fair weather, low risk rider of early morning and bright skies. I'm retired but in good shape, not overweight, already work out and BMI 24 or less. Any advice appreciated.

/ Need bicycle helmet advice #2  
I used to race bicycles and have been through many helmets. Assuming you are purchasing a Snell or ANSI approved helmet, what you pay for in price is usually correlated to aeration. The lighter and more air holes, the more expensive. Most helmets now have adjustable retention systems but trying a helmet on to be sure it is comfortable, in my opinion is a must. Go to the local bike shop, try helmets on, then look for price on the internet. Check performancebike.com and bikenashbar.com for closeouts. And just to add, I always preferred Giro over Bell and the others but everyone's melon is different.

/ Need bicycle helmet advice #3  
The Snell Foundation does helmet tests and sets the most rigorous safety standards:
Bicycle Helmet Standards
Snell Foundation - B-95 helmet standard

Mountain bikers and stunters wear full-face helmets:
Full Face Mountain Bike Helmets

For it to protect your melon, you must be wearing it, so pick one that is comfortable and light enough to wear all the time. For me the biggest comfort problem is sweat getting in my eyes, so on hot days I wear a sweatband under the helmet.

/ Need bicycle helmet advice #4  
Recently I bought a new bicycle to ride my quiet country roads and dicussed it in a separate thread--- http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/268062-need-bicycle-buying-advice-adult.html

The bike came home with me yesterday and figured it's a done deal but now I find the choices of helmets confusing. Originally I though I would have to give in and wear the tpical bike helmet that looks like this Amazon.com: Bell Solar Bike Helmet: Sports & Outdoors The problem is I'm not sure i like how it looks and I don't feel feel like it protects the melon real well. It feels flimsy. There is little traffic on my side road but you never know, I could fall off.

Then I found this football style helmet that sure looks like it provides much better protection and seems to look better but I'm not sure about that. Here it is Amazon.com: Bell Faction Multi-Sport Helmet: Sports & Outdoors I guess I think I like this style only beacuse I'm not sure I like the other style.

Any input from riders out there on what they have or like? As mentioned in the other thread, my riding is strictly an exercise event for maybe an hour or so five days a week and that's the sole purpose. I'll likely never ride in a group or traffic and am a fair weather, low risk rider of early morning and bright skies. I'm retired but in good shape, not overweight, already work out and BMI 24 or less. Any advice appreciated.

I look for two things in a helmet-fit and airflow. I'm less concerned with looks-most bike helmets look substantially similar to me. I want good fit so it is comfortable and good airflow in the summer heat. (I know safety is a consideration-I would not wear any helmet that is not Snell/ANSI approved-I don't think anyone has a helmet on the market that does not have safety certification).

/ Need bicycle helmet advice #5  
Helmet time now.

Like others comfort is formost. It is also nice to have some sort of sunshade for the eyes.

Consider some reflective tape for the helmet, bike and the back of your shoes. The wheels for side view should also get some.

The headband or whatever replaces it may become a little odiferous after time!:D

/ Need bicycle helmet advice #6  
I generally buy Bell or Giro, whichever Nashbar.com seems to have the best sale on. Road helmets do not have visors, mountain bike helmets do. I've had both and never found a visor large enough to actually make a difference. If you need them, sunglasses are more effective.

Helmet cushioning material ages which is why helmets need frequent replacement. I usually have two helmets in use and buy a new one every two years.

/ Need bicycle helmet advice
Take a look at the two different models I linked to above and tell me what you think. One is the typical bike helmet, the other is a more complete full helmet. The full helmet is more appealing to me but what do you guys, who know morw than me, think?

/ Need bicycle helmet advice #8  
Take a look at the two different models I linked to above and tell me what you think. One is the typical bike helmet, the other is a more complete full helmet. The full helmet is more appealing to me but what do you guys, who know morw than me, think?

If you're comfortable, go for it. Your opinion is the one that counts the most. As long as you promise to wear it.

/ Need bicycle helmet advice
Here are both helmets...i like the first one but wonder if it is also considered a bicycle helmet and if many people use it that way. Some cops wear them.

The second one is a typical bike helmet but seemed kind of flimsy to me but I don't really have any point of reference or comparison yet. What do you think?

B002LVMT0K_01__SX360_SCLZZZZZZZ_V396520075_.jpg

51sImGMbGCL__SS350_.jpg

/ Need bicycle helmet advice #10  
Here are both helmets...i like the first one but wonder if it is also considered a bicycle helmet and if many people use it that way. Some cops wear them.

The second one is a typical bike helmet but seemed kind of flimsy to me but I don't really have any point of reference or comparison yet. What do you think?

View attachment 297355

View attachment 297356

I don't see many people ride with the first helmet. The second helmet is a more traditional bike helmet. They may seem flimsy, but they are pretty stout if worn properly. Two things to consider with any helmet-salt from sweat will weaken the styrofoam protection over time, so be prepared to replace the helmet every couple of years; Also replace it any time you have a crash and hit the helmet. it may appear ok, but it is designed to absorb the force. The damage may not be obvious, bu the helmet may be weakned.