US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #1  

MotorSeven

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE Hydro
Did everyone get theirs yet in the mail? Have you read over it? First of all it's MANDATORY, says so right in the info packet. If you ignore it they are going to start calling you to comply. Furthermore page 18 requires us to be very specific on profit & loss which is already on our tax returns.

I don't know how you feel about this, but I am getting fed up with all this data collection. Unlike many others I have never taken any USDA money for farm buildings/operations/wells/fencing/etc, so I really don't think it's any of their business how much pasture I have or how many chickens are laying eggs. In this day and age of budget problems I wonder how much this farm census cost us taxpayers?

Sorry if I sound grumpy this morning, but reading about NY's new gun/magazine ban has put me in a bad mood.
BREAKING: New York Senate Approves Gun Ban Bill | The Truth About Guns

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #2  
I agree. I thought I read that the fine for NOT filling out the form was $100. You might want to see if my memory is correct and wait for them to fine you.

Later,
Dan

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #3  
The census has a long history:
When was the first census of agriculture? - History - U.S. Census Bureau
The census of agriculture originated as part of the 1820 census, when U.S. marshals began to ask how many people within each household were engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1840, marshals began using separate census schedules to collect data related to agriculture.

https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/2007aghistory.pdf
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
The collection of agricultural census data were initially authorized by the United States Constitution in Article 1,
Section 2, which required a census of population to be conducted every 10 years to proportionately distribute the
representation of each State in the House of Representatives. While the delegates to the conventions that produced
the Constitution discussed its various provisions, James Madison, its principle author, urged that the census be
used for something more than just counting heads. Nothing came of his recommendations until 1810, after he
became President Madison.
The agriculture census continued to unfold from the decennial population census as follows:
 1810: Additional information was collected on manufacturing establishments and a single item asked whether
the person interviewed was engaged in agricultural activities. Another 30 years passed before the census
program included information on agricultural activities.
 1840: The first agricultural census attempted to collect more detailed information on manufacturing, mining,
and agriculture, with limited success. Because the value of agriculture data were so obvious, the census
program was permanently expanded to cover economic and agricultural activities.
 1850 through 1920: The agriculture census remained part of the decennial census program.
 1915: Congress authorized the collection of agriculture data every 5 years.
 1925: Economic data added to 5-year collection.
 Through 1940: U.S. Census Bureau conducted the agriculture census and other economic censuses, but
changed their respective schedules.
 By 1950: To use the Census Bureau痴 resources more efficiently and to distribute the workload over the 10-
year census cycle, the agriculture census collected information for years ending in ? and ?, while the
economic censuses covered years ending in ? and ?.
 1976: Public Law 94-229 shortened the period after the 1974 agriculture census to 4 years, restoring the
agriculture census to a schedule concurrent with the 1982 and later economic censuses.
 1982 to Present: Agriculture census conducted concurrently with economic censuses for years ending in ?
and ?.
 1997: Public Law 105-113 transferred the responsibility for conducting the 1997 Census of Agriculture and
subsequent agriculture censuses from the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC), Bureau of the Census (BOC),
to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS).
The agriculture census is the only source of statistics on American agriculture showing comparable data, by county
and classifying farms by size, tenure, type of organization, primary occupation, age of operator, market value of
agricultural products sold, combined government payments and market value of agricultural products sold, and
North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code
. The 2007 Census of Agriculture covered
agricultural operations meeting the definition of a farm in the 50 States, Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of Northern
Mariana Islands (CNMI), Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa.
LEGAL AUTHORITY
The 2007 Census of Agriculture is required by law under the 鼎ensus of Agriculture Act of 1997, Public Law
105-113 (Title 7, United States Code, Section 2204g). The law directs the Secretary of Agriculture to conduct a
census of agriculture in 1998 and in every fifth year after, covering the prior year.
The census of agriculture
2007 CENSUS OF AGRICULTURE HISTORY 5
includes each State, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the CNMI, and American Samoa. (See Appendix
A for excerpts of Title 7 applicable to the agriculture census.)

--------------------
This is not new. Many of us have filled these out in the past and I recall it being a pain in the ***, but it seems there are good reasons for this type of data in the setting of public policy and in monitoring an adequate food supply. Anyone invloved in agriculture has either directly or indirectly had some financial benefits from subsidies. (Some may have paid more than received in income tax but not often)

Loren

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #4  
I totally agree. With the Federal Budget in shambles they have money for someone to sit in Washington and worry about how many goats a man has. Also, I think the census is at least every five years. They only count the human population every 10. Guess goats are more important.

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #5  
Did everyone get theirs yet in the mail? Have you read over it? First of all it's MANDATORY, says so right in the info packet. If you ignore it they are going to start calling you to comply. Furthermore page 18 requires us to be very specific on profit & loss which is already on our tax returns.

I don't know how you feel about this, but I am getting fed up with all this data collection. Unlike many others I have never taken any USDA money for farm buildings/operations/wells/fencing/etc, so I really don't think it's any of their business how much pasture I have or how many chickens are laying eggs. In this day and age of budget problems I wonder how much this farm census cost us taxpayers?

Sorry if I sound grumpy this morning, but reading about NY's new gun/magazine ban has put me in a bad mood.
BREAKING: New York Senate Approves Gun Ban Bill | The Truth About Guns
Sounds like just another govt agency duplicating info that they already have but cant talk to their neighbor across the hall to get it, so they spent millions to get the same info again, YOUR TAX $$$ at work for you.

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #6  
Knowing how many goats as an example or acres of grain are being raised has a effect on future prices and surpluses "low prices" or shortages "high prices" of those products. Grain planted by farmers may be regulated to keep supply and demand near equal with no big price swings. Milk price supports may be adjusted according to number of producing cows. Cattlemen may look at the finished Census Report and adjust their herd goals for the coming years. In theory it is supposed to stabilize and inform what is going on with the food supply. Without the variables of climatic variables.
In my opinion in todays dynamic world demands, five years is too far apart. Ten years for people Census is a good time frame. Pigs, cows, and goats can have many generations of progeny in that time frame.

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #7  
Has anybody done their taxes yet? Is anybody going to, before Feb.4,just so you can give them accurate info ? This thing is just a waste of tax dollars.

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #8  
I am trying to do mine, it will really let you know how miserable your memory is:)

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #9  
I looked at ours and I really have to sit down with dad and figure it out.

/ US 2012 Census of Agriculture....I'm not happy #10  
We got ours but haven't bothered to open it yet.