Have you ever been shot?

/ Have you ever been shot? #1  

burnieman

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 955 With 70a Loader and 7 backhoe, John Deere 110 Backhoe
I was hunting with some friends a few years ago and one of them brought a guest. He said he had been hunting with him before and he was a safe hunter. My son and I were behind the main line of six guys working a pheasant field of taller Milo. A bird came up between me and the new guy, he leveled off and fired directly at me. I saw that he was pointing at me and covered my eyes with my arm. I took 18 pellets to my arm arm body. I spent the next hour digging out bird shot. And for the anti gun people, it wasn't the guns fault, it was the idiot pulling the trigger!. We never hunted with that guy again

/ Have you ever been shot? #3  
Got shot by a primer cap once.My little brother,about 13 yrs. old,was using a daisy pump BB rifle(holds 50 bbs)to try to hit the shotgun shell and set it off.
I watched him fire off a whole magazine and missed the primer cap every time from about 6 ft. away.LOL!
So,disgusted because I'd just set the sights on the thing,I grabbed the gun from him and set the shotgun shell up on a fencepost up the hill about 25 ft. away.
Just as soon as I pulled the trigger,my head spun around and my brother yelled. When the BB hit the primer cap, instead of course, the heavy lead shot propelling forward,the primer cap came backwards and `cookie-cuttered'my cheek neatly to the bone.
Dad looked at me and said `Let's go to the doctor'(WW II vet .....cool as ice....Mom?not so cool...LOL!)
Doc put the cookie-cuttered piece back in,bandaged it and all I have is a small circular scar and the knowledge I gained.Just passing it along. don-ohio :)^)

/ Have you ever been shot? #4  
When I was 12 or 13, I got shot in the butt with a .22 bullet that glanced off a neighbor's pond. His grandson was shooting turtles, and we were planting blackeyed peas in a field about 100 yards from where he was. We had an old horse-drawn one-row planter that we pulled behind the row cultivator on the tractor. My brother and I had just swapped out who was driving and who was walking behind the planter. I bent over to pick up a stone to toss out of the field and heard the "singing" of the incoming bullet and a pop on my left butt cheek. It instantly felt like I'd been stung by a huge bumble bee and I did some dancing.

The shell penetrated my pocket on my jeans and made it all the way to my skin. Right at the point of impact, the skin was broken and the bruise was about an inch in diameter. The shell was flat enough that it didn't penetrate the skin. After the stinging subsided enough for me to talk, I started screaming at the guy who was a friend of mine and running his way. I told him what had happened and he didn't believe me. So, I gave him the choice of either to stop shooting in our direction or I was gonna take his gun and break it over his head. The look in my eyes seemed to convince him I was NOT kidding. I was a very big kid for my age and probably outweighed this fellow by 50 lb and was much taller. He decided his options for future living were a lot higher if he kept the screamin' angry kid happy by doing what I said.:D Many times I've thought about how lucky I was that the bullet hit me in the butt instead of my head. Sometimes you get more scared looking back on things than what you were when they happened.:rolleyes:

BTW: I've been dove hunting and had shotgun pellets fall on me from someone shooting several hundred yards away, but never directly.

/ Have you ever been shot? #5  
Yeah......shooting at water is not good. Glad you survived and the kid learned a valuable lesson. don-ohio

/ Have you ever been shot? #6  
i gues I'll throw in my smooth move as well.

I once was moving some stuff around outside on the porch and set down an armfull of stuff I was holding.. one item happend to be a splitting wedge ( wood chopping ). for some reason there was some loose 22 lr round sont he ground that had fallen out of a shoebox that was overlaoded with junk and the sides ahd cracked open. was a mix of them shotshells ( full brass back then.. no blue plastic tip ) and some coppertops.

one of them went off when the wedge came down on it. :)

the nose made me jump. wasn't unitl a few minutes later i saw a line of blood down my left let at about the inside of the knee. Caled my dad.. he worked at the fire dept then.. he came over andcleaned a set of tweezers in alcohol.. we fished around for about a minute and pulled out a small wad of metal.. not sure if it was a piece of the slug that ricco'd off the concrete, or if it was a piece of the brass case that popped.. was a small bb-ish sized piece. anywho. called my dr and asked if I needed to come in as it had stopped bleeding.. was told that it would likely be fine and to come in if i noticed a problem.

this has been may, many years ago.

guess you couldn't get away with that or that kind of an answer nowadays.

an no.. never have had an issue... much more recently I had an xray of that knee due to a cartilidge injury... didn't see any funny metal in there.. :)

/ Have you ever been shot? #7  
Was a vol. fireman for 10 years and was at a house fire and heard shells going off in the next room and a jar about 5 ft from me broke, that was to close for me. Another time I was in a closet in an atic bedroom down on my knees trying to put out the fire behind the knee wall. I started to hear something that sounded like popcorn right at my knees and wet the area down good and it stoped. the next day I stoped in and asked if I could look and the bottom of the closet was almost covered with boxes of shotgun shells. The boxes were about half full as the top half had gone off at my knees, but I never felt a thing. Hope that is as close as I ever get to being shot.:eek:

/ Have you ever been shot? #8  
Didn't get shot but did have a .25 semi-auto break in my hand when I fired it. The slide and spring came back and hit me in the mouth. My mouth was numb and I grabbed my face. I sure thought I was shot for a few moments! :laughing: When I pulled my hands away and saw no blood I was relieved. Just got a fat lip and a neat curly Q bruise from the spring across my upper lip. Scared me pretty good at first.

/ Have you ever been shot? #9  
I always try to shoot first! :)

When I was a kid, I was over at a friend's house and we decided to take his BB gun out in the woods and shoot at some critters. After not finding any, we decided to shoot at an old tire swing. My buddy would swing it and I tried to hit it. After firing a shot, I caught a glimpse of copper as the BB embedded itself in my eye ball. I looked at the ground and blinked and the BB fell out. We both ran back to his house and I looked the in mirror and saw my eye bleeding. My buddy tried to talk me out of calling my mom but I did anyway.

I ended up at the eye doctor. He said I almost lost my eye. Thank God, I didn't.

I wish I would have watched the Christmas Story before that incident! "You'll shoot your eye out!" :)

/ Have you ever been shot? #10  
BBs do bounce back. I have some .22 rifle spinner targets that my grandson shoots with BBs. The BBs don't make the spinners go around and often they come bouncing back right off the spinner. Yikes!