Smart Meters

/ Smart Meters #122  
Around here the power company has a voluntary program where they provide a web enabled programmable thermostat. They reserve the right to adjust your cooling 4 degrees during a four hour peak usage window in a heat wave. I doubt I'd even notice that. It's humidity that gets us here and that wouldn't change much with a four hour lull in the cooling
Five years ago I tried to get one, but did not qualify because I cool with geothermal. I was going to move the thermostat to my weekend place so I could turn the heat up before I arrive.
My smart meter is on the garage at the other end of the house. I don't give it much thought, it's just there.

I just installed 2 wifi programmable thermostats on my geo units, installed the 2nd one today. I can now use my smartphone and turn the thermostat down after my wife turns it up during the day. :laughing: If you get one for multistage, make sure it has 3 heat stages, the ones sold at box stores are only 2 heat stages. Anybody want to buy a couple slightly used 2h stage programmable thermostats? :laughing: