Smart Meters

/ Smart Meters #11  
Dosen't the math work like this.

12 watts / 1,000 = .012 kw/hr * 24 hrs/day * 30 days/month = 8.64 kilowatts per month

sounds like your old meter did a poor job and your new meter needs to be calibrated up as well.

assuming of course my math isn't fracked up :)

If it had a photoelectric cell I would imagine it would only be on when dark. Maybe a 2-3 kw per month IMO

Brett

/ Smart Meters #12  
Yes... always been on a Photo Cell.

Could be the old meter which was installed in 1995 just couldn't accurately log such minute usage.

On a separate note...

One of my elderly neighbors, a retired Telcom guy, refused to allow the utility to install a Smart Meter...

He scarred off the poor guy that he left the smart meter sitting on the ground and never came back.

Later, the utility changed policy and said for a fee it would re-install analog meters plus a monthly fee.

They tried to bill my neighbor for the re-install and he fought it because there was nothing to re-install since it have never been changed out to begin with.

Neighbor won...

Since he is also on Solar, he has not paid for a Kw in 4 years...

Nice to see someone in their 80's so sure of themselves and prevail against the Utility...

/ Smart Meters #14  
I've often wondered how Smart the meters are...

A house that I now rent out has the original 1922 30amp electric service... I have not had any problems and neither have my renters.. it is 120 volt.

The main disconnect is before the meter so if I wanted to change an outlet or do any electric work safely, it would mean turning the meter off when the knife switch is pulled.

I know the utility had to make a special trip about 6 weeks after everyone already had theirs because it is not something they normally see.

I have wondered what would happen if I turned the meter off for an extended time?

Imagine it would generate a service ticket.

/ Smart Meters #15  
Ive heard of a few people who chose to have the cable cut from the pole and go 'off grid'

/ Smart Meters #16  
so there is an easy solution to the privacy concerns, and thats a jammer. They use a standard RF frequency, you just need to install a transmitter that is fairly low powered next to the meter to drown out the signal it puts out.

now that doesnt address various health arguments that are often made, but like chopped said. no one is keeping you from not having a meter at your house. (eg off grid)

/ Smart Meters #17  
Not sure about the smart meter but if I decide I don't want it they WON'T be putting it in at my place. These gestapo installations have to stop. We are talking about PRIVATE PROPERTY. You can't just come in and install something on my house that I don't want. If you just simply turn my power off, that might convince me, but you aren't going to walk in strong arm me.

/ Smart Meters #18  
Not sure about the smart meter but if I decide I don't want it they WON'T be putting it in at my place. These gestapo installations have to stop. We are talking about PRIVATE PROPERTY. You can't just come in and install something on my house that I don't want. If you just simply turn my power off, that might convince me, but you aren't going to walk in strong arm me.

they can simply shut off your power. They own the power lines, not you.

i have a smart meter oin my place for over 5 years, never have had a problem. i personally am glad they dont come on my property to read the meter anymore.

/ Smart Meters #19  
so there is an easy solution to the privacy concerns, and thats a jammer. They use a standard RF frequency, you just need to install a transmitter that is fairly low powered next to the meter to drown out the signal it puts out.

now that doesnt address various health arguments that are often made, but like chopped said. no one is keeping you from not having a meter at your house. (eg off grid)

How much interference or signal blocking is there when the meter in enclosed in a metal cabinet... I need to replace the wood door the covers my meter since the utility broke it... I'm think of going with metal to keep it from getting broken again.

I also have some meters that are in the crawl spaces... a few inches about the ground like the did 95 years ago...

At one place the power company has made 5 visits that I know... maybe more.

It's part of the problem thinking one size anything fits all.

/ Smart Meters #20  
UMM if the signal is jammed wouldnt that make them NOT able to read it and bill you?I think alot of this has to do with the poor information they give about them.The line crew chief.(23 years here) told me it transmited it t a mountain 70 miles away. but yt the instructions say it just sends it to the neighbors and from there on down the line.So I wonder just which is right.??
Someone said they simply cant come on private property adn do it, well the point is that its gotten to where they can. Its all part of a greater scheme here.....