Smart Meters

/ Smart Meters #2  
Sounds like a couple of kooks. I would love to know if the two women use WiFi, wireless phones, or cell phones....

When we first built our house, we WANTED the power company to remotely read our meter since it meant more privacy. However, it would have cost us EXTRA to have a meter reader NOT drive up to the house. Eventually, the power company installed, at no extra cost mind you, the meters that could be read remotely. Woo Hoo! I guess the two women would rather have strangers in their back yards....

Later,
Dan

/ Smart Meters #3  
What gets me is this is not a mandated thing, you have the right to refuse these meters. At least here in Texas, we do. I have one on both of my houses and while I don't mind, I do question whether they'll "run backwards" as the old meters do. I've got 4 solar panels that I need to put up that if they produce more energy than I'm using, will spin a normal meter backwards. Not sure the new ones will do that.

/ Smart Meters #4  
I have no opinion on the meter. I just like the local government's "choice" There is a $68.35 initial fee for a non-wireless meter plus a $24.75 monthly fee for manually reading it. If the mob did this it would be extortion.

/ Smart Meters #5  
We've had our smart meter for a few months now, and I don't know why people complain. Especially in the case of these two idiots who have an alternative, if they're willing to pay for it.

/ Smart Meters #6  
I have one meter that powers a 12w night light... nothing else for 9 months of the year.

9 months each year with the old meter the usage would be zero most months and 1 Kw reading every couple of months.

Since the Smart Meter went in the usage has tripled... at least 3 or 4 Kw each month...

Since we have to pay actual usage or a minimum fee... it doesn't affect my bill.

Does make me wonder how a photo cell 12 w bulb can go from months of 0 Kw to 3 or 4 each month when only the meter has changed.

/ Smart Meters #7  
I have no opinion on the meter. I just like the local government's "choice" There is a $68.35 initial fee for a non-wireless meter plus a $24.75 monthly fee for manually reading it. If the mob did this it would be extortion.

Not really. The government in this case appears to also run the power company. There are a few cities in NC that supply power. The city wants to install the wireless meter because it saves them money because a meter reader does not have to visit the house. Thus they charge for the wireless meter AND to pay to have person get the reading. What does not make sense is when we WANTED a smart meter so we would not have be bothered by a meter reader and the power company wanted to CHARGE us to save THEM money.

In this case, the power company is simply making people pay for the added cost of having a dumb meter.

Later,
Dan

/ Smart Meters #8  
Right. Its not extortion. Its cost of service. And those who take advantage of the lower cost option don't have to SUBSIDIZE those who choose the higher cost option.

/ Smart Meters
Here's what I'm wondering. Ok, so they refused the smart meters, for whatever reason. What makes that criminal? That just seems like a very strange part to this story. If I have a standing contract to clean your gutters and one day you decide to stand in your front yard saying don't trespass on my property, our contract is over. I can't arrest you, but I have no way to continue providing service.

Keith

/ Smart Meters #10  
I have one meter that powers a 12w night light... nothing else for 9 months of the year.

9 months each year with the old meter the usage would be zero most months and 1 Kw reading every couple of months.

Since the Smart Meter went in the usage has tripled... at least 3 or 4 Kw each month...

Since we have to pay actual usage or a minimum fee... it doesn't affect my bill.

Does make me wonder how a photo cell 12 w bulb can go from months of 0 Kw to 3 or 4 each month when only the meter has changed.

Dosen't the math work like this.

12 watts / 1,000 = .012 kw/hr * 24 hrs/day * 30 days/month = 8.64 kilowatts per month

sounds like your old meter did a poor job and your new meter needs to be calibrated up as well.

assuming of course my math isn't fracked up :)