Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope

/ Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope #1  

GGB

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2032R, John Deere Z930M, John Deere 455, John Deere XUV825i w/Deluxe Cab & Roll Down Windows, Snow Blade
I'm trying to control muskrats that are burrowing into my ponds. They can really make a mess, and I know if you let them go, you may run the risk of losing a dam.

I've got a trap, but don't want to use it for fear of my and our neighbor's dogs getting in it. So far, I've been able to get several of the water rats with my old bolt action open sight .22 but realize that my eyesight just isn't what it used to be-kind of like a lot of things, huh? So I'm looking for a decent .22 with a scope already mounted, mainly to gather more light. My bolt action isn't set up for a scope mount, and besides, I need a new toy!

I thought about a .177, but that would be way more than I need, and a .22 is more fun for plinking with the family. So does anyone have any suggestions?

/ Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope #2  
I have a pair of Ruger 10/22s that I use for the exact same purpose.
They do the job.

/ Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope #3  
Like many, I prefer the Ruger 10/22 but don't know what you consider reasonable. I put a Leupold VIII 3x9 with a Voltzquarsen trigger and Hogue over-molded stock, so I passed the "reasonable cost some time ago. My sons get their .22 scopes at Wal Mart and they work pretty well.

/ Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope
I have a pair of Ruger 10/22s that I use for the exact same purpose.
They do the job.

Thanks! A 10/22 was going to be on my short list, and you just confirmed it. Did you buy them with scopes already mounted?

/ Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope
Like many, I prefer the Ruger 10/22 but don't know what you consider reasonable. I put a Leupold VIII 3x9 with a Voltzquarsen trigger and Hogue over-molded stock, so I passed the "reasonable cost some time ago. My sons get their .22 scopes at Wal Mart and they work pretty well.

Yes, reasonable is in the mind of the buyer. I'll probably not get too crazy for a .22 just to take out muskrats so I can get another toy or two.

You reminded me about the Leopold scopes. They always seemed to be popular for larger calibers, but I sort of recall that they may have had a model for .22's, maybe even specifically for the 10/22. Am I on track?

/ Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope #6  
Yes, reasonable is in the mind of the buyer. I'll probably not get too crazy for a .22 just to take out muskrats so I can get another toy or two.

You reminded me about the Leopold scopes. They always seemed to be popular for larger calibers, but I sort of recall that they may have had a model for .22's, maybe even specifically for the 10/22. Am I on track?

I really like Leupold scopes and yes they seem to have all bases covered.

Cabela's: Leupold® Rimfire Riflescope

/ Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope #7  
Keep in mind that the combination scope mount and adapter will be on each rifle, however you will need rings and a scope, The rings are pretty cheap, and there are lots of scopes you could even find at Wal Mart that I am sure would make you happy. You are not going to find one already mounted I don't believe, but it is an easy thing to do. Just basically screw things together. Use some blue locktite on the screws, and go sight it it. I am taking it you have never done this before, but it can actually be fun. Well within the capability's of the average guy.

James K0UA

Last edited:
   / Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope #8  
   / Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope #9  
I put a Simmons scope on my Ruger 10/22 and it seems to be a good match.

/ Reasonably Priced .22 with Scope #10  
Lots of options here.I have a 10/22 with a bull barrel and inexpensive scope that is a tack driver.You may want to look at Savage .22's also.Word of caution;bullets can ricochet very easy off water.As stated it is very simple to mount a scope;do yourself or have a local gunsmith help.Check out your local gun shops they may have a good used gun and could mount your scope.