For Barn Lovers only

/ For Barn Lovers only #21  
I have a 140 year old bank barn... It's a maintenance nightmare. New barn doors on the north side and the south side doors need paint. The construction is unbelievable... no nails, just hickory pegs and huge oak timbers. Largest barn I ever saw is located on NAS Whidbey Island... used for DRMO, the vertical post are about 4 X 4 FEET of fir. Huge barn that was on the original farm and was once the largest barn on the west coast.

mark

Interesting about the huge wood buildings on the west coast. In Tillamook, Oregon there were two derigiible hangars built sometime in the thirties. As I recall, they were reputed to be the largest free-span wooden structures in the world. Sadly, one of them burned several years ago. That must have been quite the conflagration.

/ For Barn Lovers only #22  
Interesting about the huge wood buildings on the west coast. In Tillamook, Oregon there were two derigiible hangars built sometime in the thirties. As I recall, they were reputed to be the largest free-span wooden structures in the world. Sadly, one of them burned several years ago. That must have been quite the conflagration.

Been to these hangers.......one is still standing......houses a really great Air Museum. Lots of vintage aircraft. The building is enormous.....really something to see. Check it out.....BLDG

/ For Barn Lovers only #23  
Walking by barns on a snow evening:
Who's barn this is, I do not know,
His house is.... lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130201_134743.png
    ForumRunner_20130201_134743.png
    361.5 KB · Views: 63
   / For Barn Lovers only #24  
When i was a kid, my parents had a place in Marlette Michigan. My Dad was the local Veterinarian, and yes i know how to pronounce it.:) We had a barn that the only nails were in the roof from the shingles that they put on. It was built on stone walls, the first floor was pretty short, then the second story was hay storage. We had so much fun playing in the barn. I fell out the hay door when a little kid. My Sister and I went back to attend a funeral, after 30 something years and the Caduceus was gone and even worse the barn! Not a trace of it remain, i have to admit that a tear or two came to my eyes, but i understand the expense and im assuming that it was not cared for and eventually fell down. The place was abandoned, the house and barn was from the late 1800s and was a very neat place to live. My Sister and I talked about all the fun we had and how sad it was that the place had deteriorated so much. But we also said how fortunate we had been!

/ For Barn Lovers only #25  
Stone barn at cooperstown, NY - farm museum

stone barn near my house.

Attachments

• cooperstownbarn.png
    cooperstownbarn.png
    453.4 KB · Views: 51
  • eisenhowerbarn.png
    eisenhowerbarn.png
    598 KB · Views: 46
   / For Barn Lovers only #26  
Great photos and stories of barns! In New Hampshire they have an entire program with tax incentives, and grants to restore, and preserve historic barns, because they view them as part of the heritage of the area. They have some great links, and they have actually passed barn restoration into law. There are links that can be used across the country relating to grants. It's really sad to see how many barns come down each year due to snow. I have been in some amazing barns here, and across the street from my families property in New Hampshire, our neighbor has a 300 year old barn that was attached to an Inn that still has the original covered wagon, sleighs, and carriages in it, along with a few hundred years of people carving their names and the dates into the beams. It is an amazing barn. I will have to post some photos.. This is the link: Programs, Tools for Preserving Barns, New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources

/ For Barn Lovers only
I saved my barnwood when I tore mine down and built this mini-barn new and sided it with the old barn boards. We call it Barn Again.

Barn_Again.jpg

Also a Wisconsin Barn
232323232fp635_7_nu=_988_6_7_258_WSNRCG=3477_632_3349nu0mrj.jpg

/ For Barn Lovers only #30  
My dream is to have a barn to save...