Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

Default Re: For Barn Lovers only

Quote Originally Posted by mjarrels View Post
    I have a 140 year old bank barn... It's a maintenance nightmare. New barn doors on the north side and the south side doors need paint. The construction is unbelievable... no nails, just hickory pegs and huge oak timbers. Largest barn I ever saw is located on NAS Whidbey Island... used for DRMO, the vertical post are about 4 X 4 FEET of fir. Huge barn that was on the original farm and was once the largest barn on the west coast.

mark
    Interesting about the huge wood buildings on the west coast. In Tillamook, Oregon there were two derigiible hangars built sometime in the thirties. As I recall, they were reputed to be the largest free-span wooden structures in the world. Sadly, one of them burned several years ago. That must have been quite the conflagration.

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by TCJatko View Post
    Interesting about the huge wood buildings on the west coast. In Tillamook, Oregon there were two derigiible hangars built sometime in the thirties. As I recall, they were reputed to be the largest free-span wooden structures in the world. Sadly, one of them burned several years ago. That must have been quite the conflagration.
    Been to these hangers.......one is still standing......houses a really great Air Museum. Lots of vintage aircraft. The building is enormous.....really something to see. Check it out.....BLDG
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

Walking by barns on a snow evening:
    Who's barn this is, I do not know,
    His house is.... lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -forumrunner_20130201_134743-png  
    L3940HSTC, QA FEL, BH92
    L5030HST,QA,FEL
    MF 205-4
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS (the other orange)
    KK Finish Mower, KK Tiller, 6' rotary mower, Pallet forks, PHD, Blade, Carryall, cultivator, 2 wheel barrows, assorted gardening tools,

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

When i was a kid, my parents had a place in Marlette Michigan. My Dad was the local Veterinarian, and yes i know how to pronounce it. We had a barn that the only nails were in the roof from the shingles that they put on. It was built on stone walls, the first floor was pretty short, then the second story was hay storage. We had so much fun playing in the barn. I fell out the hay door when a little kid. My Sister and I went back to attend a funeral, after 30 something years and the Caduceus was gone and even worse the barn! Not a trace of it remain, i have to admit that a tear or two came to my eyes, but i understand the expense and im assuming that it was not cared for and eventually fell down. The place was abandoned, the house and barn was from the late 1800s and was a very neat place to live. My Sister and I talked about all the fun we had and how sad it was that the place had deteriorated so much. But we also said how fortunate we had been!

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

Stone barn at cooperstown, NY - farm museum

stone barn near my house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cooperstownbarn-png   -eisenhowerbarn-png  
    L3940HSTC, QA FEL, BH92
    L5030HST,QA,FEL
    MF 205-4
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS (the other orange)
    KK Finish Mower, KK Tiller, 6' rotary mower, Pallet forks, PHD, Blade, Carryall, cultivator, 2 wheel barrows, assorted gardening tools,

Tractor
    Bolens G154/IsekiTX1300F

Great photos and stories of barns! In New Hampshire they have an entire program with tax incentives, and grants to restore, and preserve historic barns, because they view them as part of the heritage of the area. They have some great links, and they have actually passed barn restoration into law. There are links that can be used across the country relating to grants. It's really sad to see how many barns come down each year due to snow. I have been in some amazing barns here, and across the street from my families property in New Hampshire, our neighbor has a 300 year old barn that was attached to an Inn that still has the original covered wagon, sleighs, and carriages in it, along with a few hundred years of people carving their names and the dates into the beams. It is an amazing barn. I will have to post some photos.. This is the link: Programs, Tools for Preserving Barns, New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources
    Mitch

Tractor
    Kubota B-3000

I saved my barnwood when I tore mine down and built this mini-barn new and sided it with the old barn boards. We call it Barn Again.

-barn_again-jpg

Also a Wisconsin Barn
    -232323232-fp635_7_nu-_988_6_7_258_wsnrcg-3477_632_3349nu0mrj-jpg

Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

[QUOTE=Pine Strip;3174891]I saved my barnwood when I tore mine down and built this mini-barn new and sided it with the old barn boards. We call it Barn Again.

-barn_again-jpg[/QU

Very nice.

Tractor
    CRAFTSMAN

We have started a new forum for lovers of barns, would be happy to have you check it out.

Just Barns Forum

Thanks for looking.
    Lin and Dave

Any day you learn something new, is a great day.

View our Web Site

Visit our Just Barns Forum

Check us out on the Garage Journal

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

My dream is to have a barn to save...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123