For Barn Lovers only

/ For Barn Lovers only #1  

Pine Strip

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B-3000
For Barn Lovers only.... You don't need to check 'Snopes' to see all these barns have seen there better days ! :tombstone:

247082_170545933006280_100001526222490_395506_5625142_n.jpg252307_169584239769116_100001526222490_389684_6789837_n.jpg252452_169584319769108_100001526222490_389685_4541842_n.jpg246620_169991783061695_100001526222490_391994_546416_n.jpg

/ For Barn Lovers only #2  
It's common here to see a perfectly good "old" barn that gets a few sheets of tin torn off in a storm. No one bothers to spend the $200 to fix that, so the rain drains inside. Before long the exposed purlins, rafters & sills are rotting. A few years later they start to lean then finally collapse. Makes good sense to me to not spend a couple hundred bucks to save a $30K barn:confused2:

/ For Barn Lovers only #3  
It was common for my grandparents to say that you could tell who ran the place by the upkeep on the barn vs. upkeep to the house. If you are a investor in town and just looking for a cash return the barn only raises the property taxes. Yes ,it is a shame because these old barns will never be replaced. A barn near me is suffering the same fate. A storm tore loose two roofing panels and they have never been replaced. One of the bottom beams is oak and measures 100' with no breaks. what a shame. Some cars and a boat are stored there now. The loft is not used at all. I find it interesting the different styles that existed and how you find little groups of them that are built the same.

/ For Barn Lovers only #4  
Around here, before they changed the tax setup, I'd see dairy barns that were simply spotless. That was a business property and taxed differently. The house, on the outside, would look terrible. Inside, very nice.... One thing here, is that a large structure like a barn was a lot for a family project, especially if they were busy farming. So some area carpenters specialized in building / repairing barns. There are several old barns here, built by the same guys, they look similar. I guess because it worked. There is one old round barn here, I was in it about 20 years ago, it is built around a central silo, and the hayloft has chutes that let you drop feed into the cow stalls underneath. Quite a labor saving setup. I believe it was built before WW1. I drove by it this aft, it looks sad, the roof is starting to go, the owners put a blue tarp on it. It's going to take a lot more than that to save it.

/ For Barn Lovers only #5  
We spent a fair amount of money to fix up the old barn at the farm. Yeah, money wise we would have been ahead to have torn it down and put up a new pole barn (which would also have been bigger), but we decided it was worth keeping a barn that had been on the land when my wife's great granfather bought the place in 1903.

Even after repairing, it's a long way from perfect, but boy does it have character. Just can't get that in a new pole barn, at least not for another 110 years!

/ For Barn Lovers only #6  
My grandpa and a crew built this 36x50 barn back in the early 1950's. The original white oak siding was rotting out and calves would occasionally break through the lower level walls. This past summer, my dad and I replaced the siding on 2 sides with some fresh white oak planks that we sawed with my home made bandmill. He cut he the oaks himself off his own land. I had sprayed the walk in doors with a linseed oil based sealer- that is why they look darker in the pic. I have since sprayed all the new wood with sealer. The scaffold is 7 ft tall and has hoops welded through the bottom for dad's JD 2840 FEL forks to slide through. I hate heights and ladders, but I didn't mind working off that platform in the least.

We ran out of white oak, so the plan is to put a fresh layer of red oak planks on the back side this summer- those planks are already cut and air drying.

Attachments

• 102_0633.JPG
    102_0633.JPG
    599.3 KB · Views: 225
   / For Barn Lovers only
A good Save !

Old_Camera_122.jpgOld_Camera_120.jpgOld_Camera_121.jpg

/ For Barn Lovers only #8  
More barns.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 126
   / For Barn Lovers only #9  
The barns around here are dropping like flys ,the market for old barn wood has gone crazy and some people are advertising old 4 plank wood stall doors for 100s of dollars and many old barns have signs on them now that say "DON'T ASK IT'S NOT FOR SALE !" With all the yuppies buying small farms and the first thing they do is remove anything that resembles a farm to bring it up to their "standards" Makes me sick to think someone worked that property for a hundred years or more and now it's turned into a subdivision . The man I bought some steers from is 90 years old and has spent his entire life on 400 acres working cattle and hay fields along with a 40 acre garden ,This man built this land out and when he needed a piece of equipment he didn't run to tractor supply but built it himself .His sawmill is very nice and still works great after 50 + years of use .Well his family sold off all his cattle last week and called me about the land altho they want subdivision prices (out of my range ) I am trying to buy what I can of the equipment and sawmill the problem is he is watching them tear apart everything he built his entire life and he still walks the farm daily .I asked him if he really wanted to sell and he said "NO I thought my sons and their sons would work this land forever now their putting me in a retirement home " It has to be the saddest thing I have ever seen ! :thumbdown:

/ For Barn Lovers only #10  
< snip >
Well his family sold off all his cattle last week and called me about the land altho they want subdivision prices (out of my range ) I am trying to buy what I can of the equipment and sawmill the problem is he is watching them tear apart everything he built his entire life and he still walks the farm daily .I asked him if he really wanted to sell and he said "NO I thought my sons and their sons would work this land forever now their putting me in a retirement home " It has to be the saddest thing I have ever seen ! :thumbdown:

It is foolish to think your kids will want to live your dream. It is just that simple. They are putting a lot of emphasis and public awareness on the importance of estate planning around here, as it applies to woodland owners and what they want to happen to their land.

People need to decide if how the land is used in the future is more important to them than what their kids may or may not do. Family meetings to air that out, and written agreements are recommended.

There are ways to preserve open space, agricultural and timber lands if that is what a person wants to do, you can't wait until you are 90 years old however to put those plans into place. It is a sad story but one that could easily have ended otherwise.